Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

Travelling WOW

A couple of years ago before our last trip to Canada we stencilled wombats on our bags....that is to say, I suggested Kevin stencil wombats on the bags, and he did. I have had the stencil for many years and it helps to identify our bags from the sea of black bags at the airport. The idea came from something I read somewhere on line....wherever it was, thank you.....that suggested painting one's initials on one's bag. But supposing that there was someone else with the initials KR or JR travelling at the same time as us? So we modified the idea and used my wombat stencil instead. Our bags were easy to spot as they were the only bags identified by wombats! I also made wide fabric ribbons to wrap around the handles, yellow on one side and green on the other, serged together with yellow and green thread. The cat hair will be brushed off before we pack, Bianca The Beautiful has been walking around the bags.
Last week Kevin and I went for a Nice Sunday Drive (on Tuesday) to Mount Tomah Botanic Garden who were having a spring display of waratahs, the state flower of New South Wales. Inside the visitor's centre there were large displays of waratahs and related plants, and the results of a children's colouring competition displayed around the walls. We took quite a lot of photos but they will have to wait for another day, however this is one of the arrangements. Walking around the gardens was just gorgeous; the speciality of this garden is cold climate plants, so there were rhododendrons, and acers (maples) in glorious colours, and lots of plants I couldn't identify. One particular area showed plants from collecting expeditions of days gone by, all from various regions of Asia - China, Japan, Tibet, the Himalayas. They will grow at Mount Tomah because it is higher than Sydney, has much colder winters and less humidity.

On the way to Mount Tomah we stopped at Richmond and Kurrajong, two towns where my family lived over 150 years ago. The towns are more modern now of course, I wonder what they were like then?

On Friday we took My Lovely New Bernina to the sewing machine spa to be serviced while we are away as of course I won't be needing it for a few weeks. While we were there I checked out overlockers (sergers for those not in Oz) as I have had mine for 17 years and it has its drawbacks and tension problems, I have been thinking for some time that a new one would be great. One of the models is on special, so guess what.......when we come back I will be the proud owner of a new Bernina overlocker! I have paid a deposit, the shop will have it waiting for me when I collect my other machine. Woo hoo!

Tomorrow morning, Tuesday, we fly out to Canada. We leave Sydney at 11.30am, arrive in Los Angeles after a 13-14 hour flight before we leave Sydney, hang around LA airport for a few hours then fly to Toronto. We're due to arrive at 5.45pm Tuesday. It's going to be a very very long Tuesday............

"Etiquette of Travelling.
There is nothing that tests the natural politeness of men and women so thoroughly as travelling. We all desire as much comfort as possible, and as a rule are selfish. In these days of railroad travel, when every railway is equipped with elegant carriages for the comfort and convenience of its passengers, and provided with conductors and servants, the longest journeys by railroad can be made with perfect safety and but little annoyance."

Now I am going to pack. Have a lovely week. You will hear all about Toronto when I am back!

Jennifer

9 comments:

  1. i'm so excited for you! have a great visit in the northern hemisphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waratahs - now that's a new one on me, but that nosegay is lovely. I hope you have a pleasant and uneventful flight and an enjoyable trip. You're a stronger person than I to stand that many hours on an airplane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip and have fun in Canada. If your near my area let me know and I can show you around. I'm a 4 1/2 hour drive from Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful time. And congrats on the new machine - you deserve it. We'll miss you and look forward to tales of your travels when you return. Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I knew you would have wombats on your luggage! So cute.
    Welcome to Canada girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to be setting off on such a trip. I hope it is all just glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think airlines have been reading the same etiquette book that the railway companies apparently have read...

    Great about the serger! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!