Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

We're healthy

Many thanks to the caring folk who commented on my last blog - we are both well and healthy. Kevin's eye is fine, according to the specialist it's nothing to worry about and the bleeding in his eye will disperse. In a week or two it won't be noticeable. My bone density test shows (so says my doctor) that I have the bones of a younger woman. He didn't say how much younger. But he suggested having another test in a year as a comparison, as I am reaching The Age where things don't work as well as they used to, and start to deteriorate. It's all downhill after 25, you know.

It's raining today and very welcome it is too, after such a stinker as we suffered through yesterday. 42 deg C (that's 108 deg F, for those who still think in old money), it wasn't nice. Today is much cooler, and grey, and wet. Lovely! But according to the people who know these things, we are in for more hot weather next week. There were bushfires on the outskirts of Sydney about 40-50 minutes from here, and we have already had fires last month. That doesn't bode well for the rest of summer.

The new sewing room curtains are up and look very nice, while they don't completely block the view of the large house next door they do screen it somewhat. I have been making a blockout curtain for our front door, which has a large glass panel - it's more glass than door, actually - it will keep the sun out on hot days and keep next door's lights out at night. As it's just measuring, pinning and sewing a straight line it's not too difficult. Yesterday I tried a little hand sewing, tried is the word.......can't yet hold much in my left hand as my fingers don't close enough. But that will come. So I knitted instead. It is slower and more painful than before the break, but to be doing any at all is good according to the nice young physio bloke. The other day he was very pleased with my progress; it seems slow to me, but then I don't know what to expect.

I know you all think I am a crabby old woman, complaining about next door.....no, not really. After having no neighbours for over two years we now have a young family with two small children, one of whom has some sort of motor thing that he revs up and down the driveway....up and down....up and down.....irritating little motor going the whole time. That takes a bit of getting used to. After having darkness all that time we now have large uncurtained windows overlooking us, and lights under the eaves along the driveway next to our bedroom. Even though we have blockout curtains, the lights shine in at the sides and top. That takes getting used to as well. And we have a young bloke who does things like knock down a dividing fence (which legally is shared property, not his alone) and then lie through his teeth, saying "there was no one home at the time to ask". What rubbish, our son was here. And the sounds of building are still going loudly in the evenings, long after local council regulations say they must cease. Listening to tiles being cut with a motorised tile cutter is teeth-grindingly dreadful.

On another note, tonight my choir is singing Christmas carols and songs in a small concert...guess who has the solo part of Good King Wenceslaus' page...only because none of the other women were brave enough, or silly enough, to do it. And because I own a cloak.

"Consistency in dress.
Consistency in regard to station and fortune is the first matter to be considered. A woman of good sense will not wish to expend in unnecessary extravagances money wrung from an anxious, laborious husband; or if her husband be a man of fortune, she will not, even then, encroach on her allowance. In the early years of married life, when the income is moderate, it should be the pride of a woman to see how little she can spend upon her dress, and yet present that tasteful and creditable appearance which is desirable. Much depends upon management, and upon the care taken of garments. She should turn everything to account, and be careful of her clothing when wearing it."

Keep stitching.

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Well yes I do thinking in the old money! ...and I can't imagine having to think in the other way. Although I'm told it's quite easy I never could convert that. Old Money. Hmm... I like old money. It's interesting to look at and holds its value. hee! I'm not happy to read about those fires though. I know that's been a real concern --- for all of us. We don't like hearing about y'all fighting big fires either. It's OUR planet and I think these big fires is one of those times that sense really comes thru. At least for me.

    You know, Jennifer, I'm glad you mentioned about being a crabby old woman. You're right. Whenever I visit the Bronze Wombat the first thing that comes to mind is "oh here I am visiting that crabby old woman again..." hee!

    hee. Oh. I just made myself laugh. I'm certain it's not appropriate to laugh at the expense of one's friends. Santa wont be happy with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm happy to hear that you and yours are well ... there should be a nifty word for those of us who are crabby old woman - men have "curmudgeon" and we have swell words like "crone" and "hag" and i just don't think that it's a fair shake - and NO - i am NOT calling you a crone (or a hag) or even crabby, cranky, crotchety or any other cr word.

    grrrrrr to your new neighbors - let's just hope they don't home school, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we wouldn't be "crabby" if the world around us just cooperated would we!
    I've been so busy that I haven't had time to check blogs, let alone comment. The Christmas season is upon this family and I am busy making strippies for the grandkids.
    Glad you are well though.
    The neighbours from hell are there? I thought they were a few blocks from here at my friends?
    I'd get me a big dog for a bit...see if that helps.
    But aren't you moving soon?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!