Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Weenie Little WOW

This is quite a little wombat, less than two inches (five cm) long - he may be small, but he is perfectly formed. Some of the wombats are well modelled and really do look like wombats despite their size, and some aren't quite so realistic. You wouldn't think it would be all that difficult to get a particular animal shape right, but perhaps it is.

Over the past couple of days I have been struck down by the annual lurgy, the one that makes me feel rather crappy and is probably related to an allergy. Think sinus issues/croaky voice/coughing and you won't be far wrong. If I say more than a few words I start coughing and can't stop, so choir practice tonight is pretty much out of the question. Never mind - this too shall pass. But the timing is not great as there is a lot of packing to be done. The latest on the house sale and purchase is that settlement dates have been moved forward again so we will be moving a day earlier still. At this rate we will be in the new house before we leave this one.......not that we mind, because we are looking forward to being in our new house. When we are living in it and it is really ours I will put a few pics here for the world to see.

Over the past few days I have done some more work on my cardigan that I am re-making, which was interrupted when I broke my arm. The collar is the last piece and is coming along nicely, although having 117 stitches to a row is quite a lot. But when that is done it can all be sewn together (with a sigh of relief) and it will be just the thing for the cooler days ahead. And I have sewn a few stitches on my hand-pieced flower basket blocks. These days I feel slightly guilty if I sit down to read or sew or knit......the thought going through my mind is "I should be sorting or packing instead of doing this". But I have started sorting, so I can have a break sometimes can't I?

Speaking of the broken arm, it seems to be coming along OK. The shoulder problems aren't as bad as they were before the cortisone injection took hold, although I don't swing my arm above my head and behind my back for pleasure I can assure you. One thing that has been happening lately seems odd to me, suddenly out of nowhere my hand starts to ache fiercely, usually on the back or behind my thumb. When I mentioned it to the orthopedic specialist last Friday he said that is normal after an injury like mine, it is caused by nerves sending out impulses very quickly, and while it is incredibly painful it will pass in time. I will be glad when it does, as it's not much fun. And there is still swelling even after six months, to the extent that I can't yet wear my wedding ring - but apparently swelling after a break can take up to 18 months to fully settle down. That seems like a long time, doesn't it? I suppose it's nature's way of protecting the healing bits.

I have just re-read this post and I sound like a dreadful whinger don't I! To the folk out there who have more health issues to contend with than I do, I apologise. I try to be a fairly 'up' person and most of the time I think I am.

After we move we will start walking again. The specialist asked me on Friday about my exercise regime and I said "what exercise regime?" Swimming? he asked. I don't do water, I replied. (because the world's not ready for me to appear in a swimsuit) I used to walk around this area but came to feel quite uncomfortable when I did so, because I wore shorts for coolness and comfort and had to walk past houses where men sat in groups eyeing off anyone who passed - men whose women are much more covered up that is usual in Australia. So I stopped walking. But walking will be a good way to get to know our new area, and hopefully some of our new neighbours. The new house is on a street which curves up and down a hill so walking it will be good exercise.

"Be sympathetic and animated.
Do not go into society unless you make up your mind to be sympathetic, unselfish, animating, as well as animated. Society does not require mirth, but it does demand cheerfulness and unselfishness, and you must help to make and sustain cheerful conversation. The manner of conversation is as important as the matter."

So you all have a lovely week!

Jennifer

7 comments:

  1. oh I know what you mean with shorts. I see photos of myself and wonder who that person is? I look in the mirror and wonder the same thing! Oh it's just me getting old...you too I suppose and the bones aren't healing like you thought are they...well we've earned the right to whine...some more than others...
    cuddle your little wow and feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, isn't he the cutest thing? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First let me visit and say how happy I am to be here, back to life, back to reality. :) This little wombat is so cute. About as cute as that wombat on the end of the writing instrument some time back. I loved that one, too.

    Yeah, at this rate you WILL BE in the new house before you LEAVE this one. I'm not sure that was meant to crack me up, but it did.

    I darn unhappy to read your feeling under the weather with the allergies. I truly feel for you. I haven't had that struggle in years but I do recall and Lordy I hope they don't decide this is the year to resurface. It's supposed to be the worse year in many. Hmmm. Why do they tell us this? It just get's in the mind and turns into a "mind virus" and makes us feel worse anyway.

    And Jennifer, you must stop and rest to read or knit or sew. We can't have you going off the reservation. You're a grounded spirit and I think that's how you do it all so... think on that! :)

    Balance my friend, balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're making progress with your healing - but never ever feel you're whining. You are always so positive! Such excitement with the move - can't wait to see photos of your new home (where you'll be able to wear shorts to go out walking whenever you want to, but you won't want to right away cos it'll be too cold! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that little wombat! So cute!! I had never seen one before reading your blog.
    You're not whining. Getting over a break like that takes time -- and it is frustrating!
    You have to take some breaks from packing -- for the sake of your arm and shoulder, if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate allergies. Ive had the same problem, but having no voice is no good if you work on the phones all day. Ive been out most of the week, and it looks like i might be out of it till the end of the week. Thats ok tho, Ive been finihsing up a few projects. Today Im going to hunker down and do some more hand stitching on that massive quilt while watching a movie.

    I henna dyed some yarn last night. I just have to wait till it dries to shake more of the powder out of the yarn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the welcome on my blog. I'm returning for a visit to yours. I love the little wombat he has such a thoughtful expression on his face. Almost as though he's pondering what to do next. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!