Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The stash hunt was successful!

As you can see below, the diagonal striped fabric was found! The spotted fabric was also found, but not in my stash - it was purchased in a local shop. The stash has enough tone-on-tone fabrics for the stars so, with a bit of luck, I shouldn't need to buy anything more until it's time for the backing.

This is the beautiful gardenia given to me when I left Sydney - has it really been more than eight months ago now? My lovely friend Liz of the beautiful voice bought it on behalf of the folk club. It has grown really well and recently started to flower.
Of course the flowers start off white but I didn't take the pic at the right time.....you can see a shy white bud hiding in the foliage.......however, I love the creamy colour of the flowers after they have been out in bloom for a couple of days. This was taken on a rainy day.
The Dresden Plate block I mentioned in the last post. Life is too short to be dull, isn't it?
At present I am working on a small hanging that was a kit bought on our visit to Canada - was it really so long ago? - in October, 2009. It's foundation-pieced with an autumn scene, and three small blocks underneath. Heavens, isn't foundation piecing fiddly? I haven't done any for some time and now I know why. Probably won't do any more for a long time to come either. But it does make working with tiny pieces easier; the three small blocks are only three inches square, and some of the pieces in them are weeny indeed. There is a bird feeder - which will have a very small cardinal appliqued on it - a maple leaf of course, and a basket of apples. It should look good when done, if the fiddles don't get me first.

One of the green frogs visited last night, Bianca The Beautiful (but slightly brainless) white cat was agitated by something outside the back door - turned out to be a frog hopping around.

Things are changing in our town because The Festival is coming. Each January this town holds a very large country music festival with concerts, awards and all sorts of stuff. Normal population is about 50,000 and it more than doubles for half of January, isn't that a scary thought? We knew about it of course, but it didn't stop us moving here. Despite having grown up here and moving away as a sweet young thing I have never been to The Festival, it was started after I left. Not sure if we are looking forward to it or dreading it....probably a little of each, if I'm honest. We are looking forward to a series of concerts run by a musician we know from attending folk festivals for several years, but everything else will be new to us. Reaction from locals varies from enjoyment, to tolerance, to dislike, to absolute vitriolic hatred.

At The Festival I believe there is an inordinate amount of line dancing, boot scooting or whatever it's called......scary. Line dancers never look as though they are enjoying themselves, do they? They remind me of free-range chooks pecking round a farmyard. Having seen some in action all I can say is that ladies of A Certain Age should not wear tight (to the point of pain) jeans or satin shirts with fringing. Satin is a very unkind fabric.......

"Evening dress for ladies.
Evening dress for ladies may be as rich, elegant and gay as one chooses to make it. It is everywhere the custom to wear full evening dress in brilliant evening assemblages. It may be cut either high or low at the neck, yet no lady should wear her dress so low as to make it quite noticeable or a special subject of remark. Evening dress is what is commonly known as "full dress", and will serve for a large evening party, ball or dinner. No directions will be laid down with reference to it, as fashion devises how it is to be made and what material used."

Now I am going to fiddle some more with tiny pieces of fabric. However should I still be sewing when evening arrives, I shall make sure I am correctly attired. The daggy shorts and tee currently adorning my person may not be suitable.

Enjoy your days!

10 comments:

  1. Love the diagonal striped fabric Jennifer.

    Your Dresden is ceratonly more colourful and bright than the ones I'm doing at the moment. Another lovely projects of yours and well worth the picture. Thanks for showing it off.

    I totally agree with you about the satin too.

    Have a fun week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally - a Dresden plate block that isn't boooring!! i LIKE it!

    and now i shall go change out of my fringed satin shirt and tight jeans and back into my jammies, as it is far too chilly and snowy today for satin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen...that Dresden Plate block is lovely! I am a total brights girl so that really appeals to me!

    I don't think I've ever seen a yellow gardenia...it's striking. I quite like it.

    I'm not one for line dancing, tight jeans, or satin shirts...girls my size need to look smaller, not larger!!!!!!!

    Happy New Year, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Jennifer, I love your description of line dancers - this is so right on, I had to laugh because I always thought they looked that way too. Your dresden block is beautiful. Is it as difficulte as it looks? The gardenia is gorgeous - bet it smells fantastic. Can't wait to see your new project with the stripes and dots. Happy sewing and big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dresden plate block - the colors are super...

    My mother loves gardinias - i like the way the smell..

    And, I love the fabric in the top photo...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flowers, the aroma must be wonderful!

    It is cold here today and the Blue Jays have been on our deck looking for their almond treat. So, enjoy your flowers for me, eh!

    I know what you mean about paper piecing. That is one of the reasons why I got into English Paper Piecing for some of those itty bitty blocks.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your Dresden Plate blocks .... those are definitely not boring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer,
    I'm ever SEW grateful for your sweet comments on my blog today! I do love the new look and goes right along with your description of "proper evening attire"....very funny! I also love your description of line dancers...my sentiments exactly. I'm a new follower. You are invited back to grandmamas stories to see my newest projects.
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope my original post shows up!! I so appreciated your visit to Grandmamas Stories! I will be a new follower and love your Dresden Plate Block
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the dress code today should certainly go to all celebrities who don't know how to dress in public and some young teens too.
    I haven't seen line dancing in ages, but always loved seeing it at weddings!
    The dresden plate is popping up everywhere. I've sent away for a template to make them...you know it's a trend then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colours on the Dresden plate. The Gardenia is lovely. So odd to see warm weather flowers when we are sitting in cold dirty snowy winter. However I should not complain out weather has not been as extreme as it has been in many parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!