But only just......we were out every night until after midnight. It was worth it though, because the ♪music♪ we heard was great.
We ventured downtown to the main street one day to hear the buskers......what can I say.......while we expected to find many using microphones and amplifiers we were very surprised at how many were using a backing tape, playing along with their guitar and singing to a recording. Now I don't know how you all feel, but to me that's not giving an honest performance - it's karaoke. There were a few exceptions and we enjoyed their performances because they were genuine, just the musicians and their instruments, but come on folks, if you are not good enough or confident enough to sing by yourself with your own accompaniment then stay home. It wasn't only solo singers, it was even bands - one three-piece band had a backing tape! The buskers we enjoyed most were four young blokes who were a bit rough round the edges but their music was fun and they were enjoying themselves......so the audience enjoyed them too.
Didn't put any pics in this post because I believe blogger is having some issues with pictures. Over the past ten days we were out late, so we slept in, so that left less time in the days to do things including wasting spending time on the computer. And when we were here I was a bit too tired to do much. But things are getting back to what passes for normal in this household.
One thing I did start doing (because it didn't require much brainpower) was sorting my quilting and sewing magazines. They were already in shelf boxes but were in no order whatsoever. Now they are, and the boxes are even labelled. Still have to do the books. When we unpacked last year Kevin did the books while I did my sewing stuff, and while he put all the books on shelves they are not in much semblance of order. I am at the stage where I need them organised because it is difficult to find what I am looking for, and as an ex-library assistant of many years' standing I know how to do that. Just have to be in the mood........
According to the forecast we are in for a few very hot days, Wednesday is supposed to be 41deg C (about 106degF). That's a bit warm for this little black duck. But as we now live inland the humidity level won't be as high as when we lived in Sydney, so hopefully the heat won't be as unbearable. It's the difference between an oven and a sauna. So you folks on the other wide of the world complaining about the cold, just think of us melting here in sunny Oz.
Tomorrow I will be attending a funeral, a woman I have known since we were teenagers, to whom I am related by marriage as my brother married her sister. The funeral notice in the local paper advised that bright coloured clothing was to be worn, perhaps that may make what is usually a sombre occasion a little less so.
"The saddest of all ceremonies is that attendant upon the death of relatives and friends, and it becomes us to show, in every possible way, the utmost consideration for the feelings of the bereaved, and the deepest respect for the melancholy occasion. Of late the forms of ostentation at funerals are gradually diminishing, and by some people of intelligence even mourning habiliments are rejected in whole or in part."
So there you have it, I am a person of intelligence.
Enjoy your days!
Sorry to hear of the family loss....
ReplyDeleteI agree about the music... and much enjoy buskers just doing their own thing....
I haven't had trouble with loading pictures.... but I have read a couple of blogs who are... blogger is being picky?
I noticed google/blogger had some hickups....I even had problems getting access to my email. Maybe the internet just had a spasm and may return to normal in a few days
ReplyDeleteI haven't had problems loading pics on my blog. I have had preview problems on my laptop, but not on the pc. Its probably the settings on the laptop.
ReplyDeleteI really don't want your heat Jennifer. Being Canadian I'd much rather have the cool weather.......not quite this cold though.
Hmmmm, sorting mags. That's a job I must attend to soon.
it will be absolutely fine with me if my friends and family wear jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts and sweatpants to my funeral - except that i do not WANT a funeral ... so it would be even better if they ignore that particular tradition, too
ReplyDeletei really do need to organize my books - they are all over the house, and even those on shelves are in no particular order ... sigh
I totally agree that using a backing tape is more karoki. To showcase one's talents, one should be able to play and sing with out the use of a tape in my opinion. Bummer that some did this. Sounds like a busy few days for you two, glad things are getting back to normal. Sorry to hear that you are attending a funeral, but glad to hear it's bright colors. I think it should be a time to celebrate a life well lived, rather than a somber occasion. That is how I'd like to go out anyhow. Rest up my dear friend. Hey - I watched the Oprah show in Australia, and I have to say that while I'm not a fan of flying, yet again, I would get on a plane to see your beautiful country before Europe or anywhere else!!
ReplyDeleteWe had a -6F this morning....windy, cold and snow showers! I always say that I won't complain when summer comes, but I always do! Sounds like a fun musical time!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've been a complete gadabout the last 10 days but enjoying every minute of it. Good for you. I suppose life will seem quite tame in the next couple of weeks but you'll be able to focus on other pursuits.
ReplyDeleteI love organising things.It's one of my passions . Have fun!
I'd happily trade our weather for yours right now!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've really been having fun the past few days -- and organizing books will continue the fun! :-)
I love your little notes! Funerals are someways like a family reunion, the living share the life of the departed.
ReplyDeleteWe have been in a deep freeze as you probably know. so much for global warmings. too cold to even walk the dog.