Oh my, we had forgotten how bad traffic in Sydney can be.....not forgotten exactly, just pushed it to the back of our minds. Never mind, we survived. We stayed a couple of nights in a peaceful place on a creek, just near where it flows into a larger river; lots of bird life (we were woken by cockatoos and kookaburras), and great coffee! It was much nicer than a large impersonal hotel would have been.
We managed to spend a short (very short - just long enough for a coffee) time with our older son before he headed off to his new job three hours further away from us. Never mind, we will see him next month when we make our annual trip to Canberra for the big folk festival.
Am still a bit short on energy since the recent lurgy, but slowly getting on top of things. It is my turn to have friendship blocks made in one of my quilt groups so yesterday I cut and overlocked fabric squares, today I prepared instructions. My block is an appliqued tea cup with just three pieces, cup, handle and saucer, and it needs to be ready for tomorrow. While in Sydney I managed a visit to a quilt shop where I found a lovely background fabric, a very pale soft creamy floral; one needs to be fairly close to see there is a design at all as it is quite subtle (only three colour registration dots on the selvedge), but it is much nicer than a plain fabric would be.
On the trip I started to knit a new scarf from yarn I bought in Canada, and all was well. On the way home again I spent more time un-knitting than I did knitting, so I gave up in the end. But I will persist, as it's an easy pattern and the colours are lovely, green and bronze. Very autumn-y. Have I ever told you that autumn is my favourite season? and that I am quite fond of green?
We took the long but scenic way home and drove through a lovely little village called Wollombi. The first time I ever went there I felt a connection but didn't know why.....then several years ago I found out that my family lived there from the early 1820s until fairly recent times, and for all I know I may still have rellies in the area. In 1870 my maternal great-grandparents were married there in a lovely old stone church, St John's Anglican Church, which dates from 1849; in fact my maternal grandfather's four grandparents all lie in the local cemetery. A few years ago I found out from old maps held at the local museum where the family farm used to be - I wish we still had it, as now the area is prime grape-growing country and the former Davis farm is probably now worth lots of money. But is considered vulgar to speak of money, is it not?
"A gentleman should avoid talking about his business or profession, unless such matters are drawn from him by the person with whom he is conversing. It is in bad taste, particularly, to employ technical or professional terms in general conversation."
Keep your own business to yourself, in other words.

We had tea at a pub in Wollombi when we took a wine tour there 2 years ago on our trip to Australia. Although a hazy grey day it was a lovely spot to visit.
ReplyDeleteI always think the big cities are great to visit but Im always glad to get back to little old Adelaide.
ReplyDeleteIm not ready for Autumn yet !
Oh, my, those pictures are so pretty...I adore autumn, too. My absolute favorite time of year. I always say that I can tell it's autumn just by the feel of the air.
ReplyDeleteyour journey sounds lovely - welcome back home!
ReplyDeletewe FINALLY have a few crocus blooming - i am weary of the color brown ... and now i am going to mind my own business with a cuppa coffee
We did have a lovely day at the park, didn't we???? I'm off tomorrow for my week in the sun and wouldn't you know it, the temps will be close to 10C this week! Aagh ....
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a short, but nice visit with your son and will be seeing him soon. How fascinating to learn about the place you felt connected and that you actually were. I am with you, I love autumn and leaves changing and the color green is my favorite as well. Glad you had a safe trip and a nice time. I love your new picture, it just says autumn and apples and crisp mornings. I love it. Hugs and thank you for the email/commment on my recent blog post. Once I am home I shall update you on what is going on. Hugs your way Jennifer!!
ReplyDeleteI love when you write about your trips, as they are always so informative.
ReplyDeleteI see the leaves are falling, the temps too, which is the opposite here in Canada. The weather is warming slowly but surely. Each day we get a bit more sunshine. Love the photo on your header.
While you are coming into Fall, we are heading into Spring after a verrrry loooong cold, snowy winter. Yeah!!!
ReplyDeleteI thought I had posted here but have found out I haven't. Amazing, I have never been to the Bluffs. I guess they are too close to home. I'll have to rectify that.
ReplyDeleteHow is the scarf coming along? I hope to pack all our scarves away soon. The bulbs are poking through and the daffodils should be blooming in early April.