Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Green lusciousness

Are these not truly beautiful and gorgeous and green? Yesterday was our 35th wedding anniversary, and Kevin surprised me with these lovely jade earrings. It seems that coral and jade are the symbols for 35 years of wedded bliss, and he knows me well enough by now to know that I would much prefer green jade to pink/red coral. It was a complete surprise as I had no idea he had anything planned, let alone ordered these to be specially made! So I wore them last night when we went out to a restaurant to celebrate.
Yes folks, our small town has a French restaurant, and very good it is too. Home made bread......roast chicken with scallops in an interesting sauce (me).......lamb done three ways (Kevin).........a trio of different fruit desserts, all small but perfectly formed, rhubarb cream brulee, poached tiny pear on chocolate (yum) and passionfruit marshmallow (me)......butterscotch pudding with honeycomb ice cream (Kevin). Add wines and coffee, and you can see we really enjoyed our meal.

Now back to home cooking Chez Jennifer. Tonight's meal won't be anywhere near as interesting as last night's, I can tell you. Or served as beautifully.

Today I have been busy preparing notes to teach a technique at one of my quilt groups next Saturday, the notes and illustrations are ready, now to make a few demonstration pieces showing the various steps. It's not as though I have no fabric with which to do that.........who knows, perhaps it might even be the start of another new quilt.....now that is a scary thought.

We have had rain over the past few days and more is forecast. The garden is probably very thankful as things have been a bit dry lately. Using a hose doesn't have the same effect, does it? Rain washes everything sparkling clean and fresh again.

Apparently today, 20th March 2011, is the autumn equinox so summer has now ended. That means shorter days (especially when daylight saving finishes in a couple of weeks thank goodness, it's been very dark in the mornings lately) and cooler nights, so much better for sleeping. Have noticed leaves definitely changing and dropping, although it will be a while until trees are bare. Some people see autumn as an ending but I see it as a time for rest.

The news from Japan about the earthquake and tsunami last week is very sad, so many lives lost, so many families disrupted, and now there are problems with nuclear power stations as a result. Whose idea was it to have nuclear power plants on earthquake faults? Did it not occur to someone that perhaps that was not the best idea the world has ever seen? It's been known for a long time that Japan is somewhat prone to earthquakes. We'll all be glowing in the dark soon.

"If gentleman is walking with two ladies in a rain storm, and there is but one umbrella, he should give it to his companions and walk outside. Nothing can be more absurd than to see a gentleman walking between two ladies holding an umbrella which perfectly protects himself, but half deluges his companions with its dripping streams."

An umbrella wouldn't be much use in a tsunami, would it?

Now I am going to cut fabric.

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. I had many strange and vivid dreams last night, one being in a shop with fabric, and not purchasing any!
    I dearly love Autumn, it is my absolute favourtie time of year. Your header is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your milestone anniversary... very special and the earrings are just lovely.... dinner sounds so yum....
    enjoy your teaching....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jennifer and Kevin on 35 years of marriage. That's something to blog about.

    Beautiful earrings too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those earings are very pretty :-) I plan on doing up some lamb chops for dinner tonight....just not sure how to go about cooking it. Im sure i will find something online.

    Why people put nuclear reactors on a fault...is the same reason why oil spills keep happening in the gulf of mexico. (yes theres another one, and is not a repeat of the big one BP was responsible for). Or the same reason people move to california or right under a volcano.

    The good news is they are managing to get the radiation under control.

    Now all we have to do is wait and see if we all get a jump to the past when they fire up the hydron colider again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your anniversary! What a delightful dinner and wonderful gift for you. We are moving into spring here but still lots of snow to melt. I will be coming to Australia in a couple of weeks but your fall is much warmer than ours. I will be bringing some summer clothes I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh my friend happy anniversary and what amazing! earrings. I totally love those. :) Dinner sounds wonderful but you know I still think there's nothing like home cooked - if the clean up crew would only magically appear then disappear like little elves. Teaching a new technique? How fun! …uh yeah, we'd need a big umbrella for a tsunami although there was one amazing woman that survived on a tatami mat and she is my hero!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful earrings!!! Happy anniversary! Your French restaurant evening out sounds marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy anniversary to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you enjoyed your Anniversary. Belated Best Wishes!
    I checked out the menu; sounds tempting. Very nice to have a good place so handy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catching up on blog reading....sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary....belated congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kevin is such a sweetie and those green earrings are so 'you'! Happy 35th!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!