Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

We're heading for the Big Smoke this week

These are pretty, aren't they? But it's a very untidy daisy bush, so it will be cut back severely or perhaps even removed completely. Hidden almost behind and to the left is a gardenia which we didn't discover for months, and I would rather have that than the daisies. Even though I really really love yellow.

Hard to believe that it is a year since we found this house, and ten months tomorrow since we moved in. We both enjoy living here.....it's difficult to remember living anywhere else! On Tuesday we will leave it for a few days and head back to the Big Smoke, aka Sydney, to conduct some business. While there we will meet up with our older son - just before he moves out of Sydney. With a bit of luck I may get to a couple of quilt shops, and a Large City Department Store (something we don't have here) to stock up on lipstick........at this stage that is my Cunning Plan........

The Dreaded Lurgy is slowly moving out and leaving me in peace. The nasty cough has almost gone, my voice is slowly coming back to normal so choir practice tomorrow night looks like being a goer, but I still can't talk for too long at a time. Had a treatment from the chiropractor a few days ago, and she mentioned that other of her clients had what she called "summer flu", which sounds like my ailment too.

Am working on a quilt for the local Ronald Macdonald House and is quite bright, hopefully its new small owner will like it. The blocks are sewn together, and I have pulled out yellow, orange and green fabrics for border and backing. One can never have too much colour in a child's quilt. But it will have to wait until we return from our trip.

This afternoon I noticed a couple of the potted plants in the beer garden looked a bit dry so I picked up the dark green watering can.......and something moved inside it........it was one of the resident frogs.......erk........so I flung it on the grass and waited until Kevin came home, because he is braver than I am when it comes to wildlife. He eventually coaxed it out of its hidey-hole and onto the edge of the new bird bath, where it surveyed the landscape for a while before jumping off into the scrub. I did manage to get a picture of it enjoying life on the edge but it's still in the camera. When I download it you can all see why I was taken aback.......as far as frogs go, it is not very pretty. One would have to be somewhat desperate to think of kissing it, even with the prospect of a handsome prince on the horizon.

"Avoid all coarseness and undue familiarity in addressing others. A person who makes himself offensively familiar will have few friends."

Does this mean I should refer to our amphibious friend as Mr, Mrs or Miss Frog, rather than "Froggy"? I would not wish to offend our wildlife.

Enjoy your days!

8 comments:

  1. why not call the frogs mr. or mrs. froggie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have tossed that watering can too - out of shock that something moved. Glad to hear you are on the mend and feeling better. Is your son moving closer to you if he's moving out of Sydney? Sounds like a big city trip will be a lot of fun. I love visiting the big city and then leaving the noise and traffic and coming home. Fun to visit, but I'd rather live in a smaller area is what I say. Have a fun and safe trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a funny!!! I call the frogs around here "Kermit" if their green and
    "creepy toad" otherwise. We have a lot of snakes in my area (for a city dwelling) so I'd have screamed and tossed that watering container for sure!!! Then I'd have peered out my window to watch for the slithery thing to come out. Ohhh, I'm scaring myself.

    Look forward to seeing the Ronald M. House quilt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your trip to the big smoke. I bet you'll be happy to get back home and out of the rat race.

    Frogs dont bother me much - spiders are another story. And cockroaches -ugh. Seeing as how your frgo was flung - does that make him/her a flying frog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will happily handle frogs - but then I never met a cane toad - that might be a different story.

    I want to know what quilt shops you find in Sydney - when I visited I couldn't find any good ones near the CBD?
    Enjoy though- I loved Sydney. ( on my only visit in 2005. )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha... I think there is an invasion.... I had one in the kitchen last night!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a flinger myself - and a screamer, too - usually simultaneously ... i don't like surprises - especially of the amphibian, reptilian, avian, rodent, or insect kind

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your visit to the big city and stock up on stuff you can't get at home.

    With just a bit of pruning, that daisy plant will be gorgeous next year. My garden has been buried under more snow that we got this week. So, until my plants start popping up, I will enjoy your daisies.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!