Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Challenge quilt top finished!

The border photographed darker than it is in real life - it's actually quite bright - probably because the pic was taken indoors under artificial light. The dark purple sitting next to the striped border seems to have added some darkness too. But I am not changing it, because I like it. Now to decide on a backing fabric; there is in my stash a large enough piece of fabric which is a black and white print, with wavy yellow and red stripes. It may do just nicely.

This quilt will be handed over tomorrow, it's for a child at the local Ronald Macdonald House. It's a collaborative effort from some of the members of one of my quilt groups.
We made blocks with lots of squares, and blocks with lots of squares which had an animal appliqued on.......guess who made the wombat block?

On the knitting front the back of my new cardy is proceeding nicely, but I am having second thoughts about the pattern. I shall make a decision about whether to continue with this pattern, or whether to do something different, when a little more is done.....but somehow I think I will be going with a different pattern.

The latest wildlife report: recently we have seen at least one fox in the reserve over the back fence. Foxes were introduced to Australia in the mid-1800s because someone thought it would be jolly good sport to hunt them, as is done in England. Since then they have done enormous damage to native animals here, and are considered a menace. Some people can't keep chooks because of foxes, as chickens in their pen are sitting ducks where foxes are concerned. Our neighbour told us last year they gave up keeping chickens because of visits from foxes. I can remember seeing a couple of photographs, taken in the 1930s in the hills around this town, of a large group of men and the foxes killed in a day's hunt.

We think we are safe from foxes because we don't have chickens, our cats stay indoors, and foxes are probably not interested in wombat garden ornaments.

Next week I am headed off to the Big Smoke for the annual craft and quilt show. Being officially an Olde Pharte I am able to travel by train for free twice a year, so this will be my first freebie. It's been a very long time since I have done that train trip so it's something to look forward to. The plan is to take along a book to read, some knitting, and some hand-piecing, because a five-and-a-half-hour trip could drag otherwise. Let's hope for a congenial travelling companion, one who says 'hello' and then gets on with their own book, knitting or piecing - not one who chatters and natters the whole trip.

"There is nothing that tests the natural politeness of men and women so thoroughly as travelling. We all desire as much comfort as possible, and as a rule are selfish. In these days of railroad travel, when every railway is equipped with elegant carriages for the comfort and convenience of its passengers, and provided with conductors and servants, the longest journeys by railroad can be made with perfect safety and but little annoyance."

Just remember those words next time you step into a train carriage.

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. your pinwheel top is pure freakin' genius - very, very impressive ... a loooong time ago (when i tried living in the country) i discovered that foxes take two when they kill - one for now and one for later - but WEASELS - weasels kill with blood lust and will wipe out the entire coop just because they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the challenge quilt turned out. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the finished challenge quilt Jennifer. It's a beauty.

    The quilt for Ronald McDonald House wil bring joy and smiles to the face of the child you recives it. I love the idea of the animals !

    I live in the foothills of Adelaide(but still in the suburbs ) and we frequently see foxes moving around.

    Have fun at the quilt show - it sounds wonderful. Are you meeting up with friends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pinwheels turned out really nicely.

    Have fun on your journey and at the show.
    I will try and remember that travel advice next week when I set off on my big adventure.
    ( I can't take sewing or knitting on the plane which is a shame. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both quilts but very much love the pinwheels .... wonderful.... have fun on your first freebie trip.....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer your challenge quilt is just gorgeous and I think the borders make the center really pop and it's just awesome!! Why is it that people like to introduce animals who aren't native to the area, that really bugs me. Someone decided the city where I lived needed squirrels now we have a huge squirrel population and they run the power lines and oh what a nuisance they are. Glad you don't have chickens or they'd be a fox snack for sure. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your challenge quilt turned out wonderful! Enjoy your trip to Sydney and hopefully it will be uneventful there and back!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!