First, a little background.
In my book collection is a book called "Annabella Boswell's Journal". Annabella Innes was born in New South Wales in 1826 and lived in different places with her parents and younger sister during which time she kept a diary, as did many well-brought up young ladies of the time. When she was still young her father died, and couple of years afterward she, her mother and sister boarded a ship to sail from Sydney north along the New South Wales coast to Port Macquarie. In those days - early 1840s - Port Macquarie was a convict settlement, a far cry from the coastal resort it is now which we visited a couple of weeks ago. Annabella's uncle, Major Archibald Innes, would not hear of his relatives settling in the port so offered them a home on his extensive property a few miles south of the town. Annabella lived there for several years and wrote about life in her uncle's house in her diary, which was published for her family many years later after she married and moved to Scotland.
Today the land that Annabella knew looks like this - that is Lake Innes in the background.
It was a grand estate employing 58 convicts as well as other workers; because it was owned by a Scot one of those workers was Bruce the piper, whose duties included piping the family awake each morning as well as waiting on the table with other servants in livery. Just imagine being rudely woken early in the morning to bagpipes! There were stables for the horses, and some carriages, a farm to keep everyone supplied with food, house servants - a very grand establishment.
However it all came to an end late in the 1840s when convict transportation to New South Wales ceased and convicts in Port Macquarie were relocated. Add to that a rural depression, and Major Innes could no longer keep his grand estate. It was sold, and the years took its toll on the buildings. A bushfire did more damage, and vandalism and theft of building materials finished off the once-proud buildings. If you are interested, there is more information here.
Social history can be fascinating.....how ordinary people lived their lives. In some ways not so different to us today, in other ways a world we can never know because that time has passed forever.

"Certain local rules have been recognized in society at Sydney from the fact that a gentleman's social position is acquired by virtue of certain offices which he holds, and the social status of woman is also in a less degree determined by the official rank of her husband."
How terrible to have one's status in life determined by one's husband, not by one's own achievements.
Enjoy your days!

I so enjoy your posts, Jennifer. This was really a great read to start my day here in Nova Scotia - far away both in time and place from your story. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the lovely story of this amazing woman. I wonder if in years to come, someone will read a journal and find it as interesting a life such as this. I doubt it. This is the stuff of movies isn't it?
ReplyDeleteThe photos of the ruins is so sad. I've seen houses in this condition in the BVI, where the original sugar plantation would have once stood. Only the stone chimneys seem to remain in some structures.
You must have had a wonderful holiday to have visited such a place.
Wow Jennifer, that is fascinating. Thank you for sharing that - I will click on the link later to learn more and check into locating her diary to read.
ReplyDeleteThat story is so awesome. I love hearing about local customs, culture, and history. Thanks so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThis post was so interesting Jennifer. I love history and I agree that learning about how ordinary people lived their lives is fascinating.I felt a wee bit sad to see the estate in such a sad way. People lived and breathed and worked and played in a house that no longer exists. I felt an actual sense of loss !
ReplyDeleteThank goodness my social status isn't determined by my husband's!
yikes - the official rank of the eXMan would leave me underneath the Totem Pole of Society - good thing he isn't mine anymore, eh?!?
ReplyDeleteI think I would like to read that Jennifer. My how things change but a few stones remain to tell their story . Diaries certainly have helped to record life - especially of women, who have and will continue to hold the world together.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story... I agree social history is fascinating! Thanks for the interesting photos and history!
ReplyDeleteYou should post a list of similar books about settling this area of the world. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend.
PS: Emus? I thought they were ostriches.... but what do I know.... they have lovely eyes, don't you think?
I love learning history! Especially so about other countries and cultures, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had the money to buy it and pay for it to be rebuilt and a garden brought back to life.
ReplyDeleteFascinating. I wonder where in Scotland she came to?
ReplyDelete