Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Some pretty orchid goodness

Today while digging in the garden we managed to keep intact some clumps of these beauties....Aussie native rock orchids.....this was taken at Mount Annan before we left Sydney.  We will see if we can get them growing and flowering.  They were almost hidden under some plants that we didn't like, so all had to come out together.
Aren't they gorgeous?  Wish our green thumbs luck.  According to my 1885 etiquette book, in the language of flowers orchids stand for beauty.....a bouquet of these would indeed be beautiful.

At present the radio is playing a tribute to Spike Jones who would have celebrated his 100th birthday a few days ago, if he were still alive.  Did you know he played drums on Bing Crosby's original recording of "White Christmas"?  Neither did I until a few minutes ago.  My generation grew up with Spike's recording of "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth", and of course "William Tell Overture", as well as other gems, and I still enjoy them.

Speaking of "White Christmas"......during World War II my father spent time in New Guinea and never ever spoke of his wartime experiences, but my mother once told me that the soldiers sang a parody "I'm dreaming of a white mistress", which was considered a very risque thing to do at the time!

The clothes sewing is proceeding along nicely.  One skirt has been made, and was worn to a Christmas party last night.  When I am in the mood the next skirt will be cut out; it won't take long to make.  It will be green, lovely dark green, gorgeous green.  

Unfortunately last night's Christmas party wasn't enjoyed as much as we had hoped it would be.  The company was fun, the food was excellent, but the music was loud.  Way too loud.  Loud to the point of pain.  The musicians, a duo who played guitars and sang, were asked to turn the volume down - but didn't.  We gave up trying to talk (it was more like lip reading), and left early, in company with many other people.

"When a color is chosen which is favorable to the complexion, it is well to associate with it the tints which will harmonize by analogy, as to use contrasting colors would diminish its favorable effect.  When a color is used in dress, not suitable to the complexion, it should be associated with contrasting colors, as they have the power to neutralize its objectionable influence."

One suggestion for harmonising with green is crimson, blue, and gold or yellow.  All at once.  Oh dear......

Enjoy your days!




11 comments:

  1. Lovely orchids.
    Silly noisy band - maybe they wanted everyone to leave early????
    Anyways, happy happy CHristmas to you both - maybe I will get to Canberra next Easter, too! I am beginning to feel livelier than I have for yonks. Thank goodness for lovely surgeons! Hugs, Jas xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are hearing the pundits say it will be a green Christmas in Nova Scotia this year, but this morning we woke to a covering of white. I hope it stays, it's so pretty and puts one in the holiday mood.
    So...will you wear crimson, blue, gold and yellow with your new green skirt? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The orchids are beautiful... best of luck with growing them.... pity about the party music...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh , and I love your collection of Christmas wombats on your header..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. The orchids are fabulous. Good luck with your green thumb.
    Merry, Merry Christmas, Jennifer to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm trying to remember ... have you ever mentioned that you like green?!?

    bwah ha ha!!!

    p.s. - painfully loud music versus enthusiastically fat dancers ... what is WRONG with these people?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rock orchids are beautiful, I sure hope your green thumbs can make them grow and thrive!! I love the "I'm dreaming of a white mistress", I would love to hear a bunch of service guys sing that - to funny. Sad that the musicians didn't turn the volume down, good music doesn't have to be loud to be enjoyed and appreciated. Your green skirt sounds just beautiful, I love green like you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I must tell you how darling those little Wombat ornaments are...they just make me smile!

    Second, I surely do hope that the orchids bloom...they would be quite beautiful on the entry table or on the dining table.

    Third, Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours, Jennifer. Ours will be just the two of us but we really enjoy each other's company so it won't be a chore.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Orchids. My dogs love them too. Last time I tried to grow them the dogs ate them.

    I hate to when the music is too loud to talk and probably would have left early too !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought orchids were named after testicles, myself, but far be it from me to lower the tone...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you have a lovely Christmas and a very healthy and creative new year. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!