Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Still being organised....

....as you can see.  Here are the little pinwheel blocks joined into rows, laid out ready for the rows to be joined.  It's more pastel than the colours I usually use, but sometimes a change is good - yes?  After these blocks are joined the first border will be white - this will make the blocks appear to float - then a narrow blue border, with a yellow and blue floral print for the outer border.  Binding will be the same blue as the inner border, and backing is a yellow and white check.
This is the quilt top from which those little pinwheels started life, they are the leftovers from the flying geese units on the star blocks.  All fabrics are yellow and blue with touches of green.
 The pic above has made the colours look slightly faded....they aren't, as you can see below.
 In the stash cupboard there are several metres of a pretty blue, yellow and green floral print for the backing, and when it is eventually quilted it will be bound in deep mossy green.  Even though these two quilts use the same colours and some of the same fabrics, I think  - I hope - they will be very different.  When I get over being The World's Most Unconfident Machine Quilter this will get done.  I'm practising on smaller quilts first.
Bianca thinks she should have equal time with Binky, who was featured in my last blog post.  She decided the black chair was a perfect foil for her white outfit.  Yes, she does have odd eyes, one blue, one green.....but unlike many odd-eyed white cats she is not deaf.  She is a big girl and is now nine years old.  For many years now our cats have all been rescues; Binky came from the RSPCA, while Bianca was a private adoption from a friend.

This week I had Plans to accomplish Great Things and they have flown out the window, because the Dreaded Lurgy has me in its grip (perhaps that should be grippe) so not much has been accomplished at all.  When I can say more than two words without dissolving into a fit of coughing, and when my ribs and back and stomach stop hurting from coughing, and when I get some decent sleep without coughing myself awake, all will be well in the wombat household again.

Fortunately both choirs are in recess until next week, because at present the singing voice sounds like a demented frog.

"Keep an account of calls.
A person should keep a strict account of ceremonial calls, and take note of how soon calls are returned.  By doing so, an opinion can be formed as to how frequently visits are desired.  Instances may occur, when, in consequence of age or ill health, calls should be made without any reference to their being returned.  It must be remembered that nothing must interrupt the discharge of this duty."

Please don't think me impolite, but it might be best if calls at present were kept to a minimum because I don't wish to infect any of you.

Enjoy your days!

12 comments:

  1. Both those quilts are exquisite.. and so different... the light colour background highlights what you have done so well... I can't imagine the amount of trimming you had to do?
    Hope you feel lots better soon.... and Biance looks very regal there....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply love the pinwheel quilt, it is so soft and delicate looking. I must remember to keep the little pieces next time I do flying geese and the like. Strangely enough I learnt that tip today... only been quilting for 10 years or so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jennifer! Your entire post has inspired me....I usually don't do pastel-like prints either. But those blues and yellows are simple perfection! I might need to work on something soon...my quilting studio has turned into a quilting-knitting studio with emphasis on the knitting part. I miss quilting so much....might need to work on something today, just to keep from going over the edge. Hope your Lurgy is soon on its way away from you! It seems that the worst part is the lingering aftereffects. And Bianca is absolutely lovely! If I lived closer, I might have to abscond with her...she's that pretty!

    Feel better soon. And Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the quilts are beautiful. and i love the colors!! sorry to hear the lurgy has gotten you, hope you are feeling better in not time, with summer upon you being sick isn't fun at all. and please let miss bianca know that she is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jennifer both of your quilts are gorgeous. The colours are so spring like. Bianca looks as though she is posing for the camera, "her regal self". She surely is a beauty. I am glad you set up a link for the dreaded lurgy, as I had never heard that expression before. My Mom has a cold this week, Mainly a cough (more of a bark)and I I think I am getting it now. Keep warm and drink lots of fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both those quilts. The pinwheel one makes me think of summer -- it's so delicate and appealing!
    Hope you're feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My English husband used to say "Dreaded Lurgy" I had never heard it before. I just googled it. I have it as well right now. Love your blog!

    Sue in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha!!! That worked!!!

    Lovely quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love the new pinwheel quilt with leftovers from your other one. I don't think they look alike at all. Blues and yellows are two of my favorite colors....especially together. Hope you feel better real soon....we are trying to avoid all germs this winter. My hands are raw!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't it look fabbo, all together like that? I love it! Might have to rethink my policy of tossing anything too small - or then again, I could just save them for friends who make quilts with tiny pieces, couldn't I?

    Hasn't that lurgy got the message that it simply isn't wanted, yet? Not good enough! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both guilts.... the colors, the prints and the stars! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!