Next week we will be leaving our peaceful house on the hill and heading off to the Big Smoke to take care of some business and to catch up with a friend. It will be nice to visit the city again, but somehow I suspect we will be thankful to leave the traffic and noise behind when we come home.
Here is a corner of our local botanic garden, with a little waterfall trickling over the garden.And here is a Hardenbergia (Aussie native plant) growing in the same garden, just in front of the pond.
The flowers match the bruise on one of my toes, done a couple of days ago when I kicked the leg of a small stool while walking barefoot - as we do here most of the time in summer. The toe is very swollen and sore, which makes wearing anything on that foot difficult. But never mind, soon it will be all better again and I will be back to jumping out of my skin. Just as well we won't be going for our long walk on Tuesday, because the new walking shoes might give that poor toe trouble - although they were worn successfully last Tuesday and will be worn again once the swelling and soreness goes down. We will already be on our way south when the walking group steps out.
Finally the new skirt and top are cut out, and now I can get to work making them. I made the decision to line the skirt - it's a soft floppy woven polyester fabric, so it will be less clingy with a lining. The fabric is also slightly see-through with the light behind it, and I am past the age of showing my all to the world. Our wedding anniversary is later this month and we usually celebrate by going out to dinner, so I will have a new outfit to wear. The wardrobe has been increased by some new skirts and tops in the fast few months, and they should be photographed so you can see them. I am quite pleased with them.
Oh dear, a thought has just hit me.....the sore toe is on my sewing machine pedal foot! Bummer!!
Last year I bought some very gorgeous knitting yarn, a mohair blend in golden autumn tones, and a pattern to make a jacket. As we are several hours' drive from the Big Smoke and I have no trouble knitting in the car, it just might get cast on tonight.......just think how much could be done by the time we come home again! The cardigan started last year has been languishing because I am not feeling the love for it. While I do love the yarn, a gorgeous deep teal with a fleck running through, the pattern isn't exciting me - so it's time to re-think the design, and today while browsing Ravelry a lovely cardigan pattern sprang out and tapped me on the shoulder. That yarn has already made three false starts, so this had better be the last as it will be needed in winter.
One thing we will be doing while in the city will be visiting the helpful travel agent we have used in the past - because later this year we are off to Canada again! Yay! Dates and details to be confirmed, but definitely October - autumn in Canada is so beautiful. Two autumns in one year, how lucky are we! Have I ever mentioned that autumn is my very favourite season?
"Carrying packages.
A gentleman will never permit a lady with whom he is walking to carry a package of any kind, but will insist on relieving her of it. He may even accost a lady when he sees her overburdened and offer his assistance, if their ways lie in the same direction."
Fortunately my husband will carry shopping for me - but unfortunately I cannot say the same for all men.
Enjoy your days!
My bloke carries my packages too. I keep insisting that I can do it, but being the gentleman he is, I get nowhere with that.
ReplyDeleteOh, Canada, eh? I must ring you up and see if we can't manage to get together. I'm sure you not here for only a couple of days.
Enjoy the Big Smoke
We may be crossing paths/airways. We have booked our flights to Australia for a trip in Sept-Oct. We want to be there for both grandchildren's Birthdays. Enjoy your visit to the Big Smoke. Hope you get lots of knitting done. I have difficulty doing anything like that in the car.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting that you are off to Canada again. I just hope you don't hurt yourself this time so you can really have some fun. Your poor toe - I'm bad about not wearing shoes and mangling my poor toes all the time so I totally sympathize with you. What day is your anniversary? Ours is March 19 and I doubt I will need an outfit to go out with the chemo. Last year I was in the hospital for our anniverary minus one kidney. Ugh, celebrate for us would you. Big Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteOh Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear about your toe. There is little that can rival a stubbed toe for pain.
ReplyDeleteAutumn is my favourite time of year as well, I love the fresh crisp air and warm sun on my face, not to mention the leaves.
If find the use of your term "Big Smoke", that is what my Dad used to call Toronto, because it is such a big city and we live in Peterborough about an hour and a half away. It is the home of the largest Lock in the world. The Peterborough Lift Locks.
Where is your Big Smoke?
enjoy the city trip and hope the toe heals soon.... how fun to be planning your trip to canada....
ReplyDeleteHugz
Have fun away (both with this trip and the one to Canada !)
ReplyDeleteHope that toe heals up fast ...nothing worse than a manky toe.
Darn on the toe injury but that purple plant sure is pretty. I am looking forward to seeing the new skirt when you get it done and you know… knitting is just the thing for a trip in the car - I can imagine. I think I'm also going to be looking forward to seeing what you create with that yarn. It sounds so pretty.
ReplyDeleteGosh, Canada will be great. Do you have family ties there?
Ow.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I fancy that accosting idea.
So sorry about your sore toe! Here's hoping that it gets back to normal soon. Enjoy your time away and thanks for sharing the photos with us.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't mind someone helping out with heavy packages, especially my 50 pound book bag that I lug to and from the library ;-)
Hello from Idaho,
Judy
Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI have decided I love Autumn and Spring as my 2 favorite seasons. I hope you enjoy Canada are you going to visit any coon's while you are there?
OUCH...I have hurt my toes that way many a time. I am sure I have healed breaks in quite a few of them. Hope you are having fun in the Big Smoke...which I assume you mean pollution in the city?? Didn't quite know.
ReplyDelete