Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Now you see it.....

....and soon you won't.  This is a corner of our little back yard, all of which will be re-modelled this week.  The palm tree in the corner has been gone for a while and the corner bed is now home to feral geraniums.  Grass doesn't grow well in the yard because it's shaded, but there is a thriving crop of assorted weeds which do grow.  I was going to take a few pics to show you the ordinariness of it but didn't....however, you will see the new yard when it's done.  We will having things removed, and things added, and the grass will go, and there will be some new garden beds and lots of lovely native plants and a new gravel path.

We had thoughts of doing the work ourselves but decided against that, as some of it will be hard work and we are Olde Phartes.  Paving stones will be dug out and re-used, and concrete edgings will go, and the stones edging the current beds will be moved.  Some of those stones are granite probably from the hills just north of here, and even though they are not huge they are fairly heavy.  We are looking at making life easier for ourselves as we get older so making the garden low-maintenance is a good place to start.  A local horticulturalist looked at our yard and came up with a plan which we like; this week the heavy work will be done and new garden beds laid out, then next week the new plants will go in.  There will be two beds closer to the house than at present, which will make for kitty television once birds start visiting......mind you, I'm not sure that either of our cats would know what to do with a bird.  Binky was a good mouser in her younger days but as far as we know never caught a bird, while Bianca has been an indoor cat since a very young age.   They don't take much notice of birds, but a leaf blowing in the wind sends Bianca into spasms of excitement.

Quilting on the challenge quilt has been started but has been grinding very slowly.  Hopefully it will pick up this week.  The first two pieced blocks don't look too bad with quilting on them, but I had a brain snap and thought that perhaps quilting on each of those 2-1/4in pinwheels would look good.....and it would, you know......but have decided to do the rest of the quilting first, then - perhaps - all 125 of those little pinwheels will get quilted too.  One at a time, because there isn't a lot of scope for continuous lines on them.  If I don't run out of quilting oomph first.  Just the thought of having to weave in all those thread ends is enough to bring me out in a severe case of hives.........but it would look so good.......

It's been a busy week!  Thursday night choir is back - we had several weeks off because our director had to have medical matters attended to - and a local woman is starting (re-starting actually, there used to be a branch here a few years ago apparently) a branch of the Australian Sewing Guild.  Its first meeting was held during the week and will, I think, be excellent.  I am so fed up with clothing choices available in shops, once one gets to A Certain Age many of the clothes are very uninspiring, and the boutique-style shops have prices that make me gasp and styles that look as though they are trying too hard to be different with floaty bits here and asymetrical panels there.  Fine if one is very tall and reed-thin, but when one is short (5 foot two inches on a good day) and not slim any more.....sigh.....one would look and feel as though one was making a spectacle of oneself.  While one doesn't mind standing out a little from the crowd, one doesn't wish to be a figure of fun.

"Showy dress.
The glaring colors and "loud" costumes, once so common, have given place to sober grays, and browns and olives; black predominating over all.  The light, showily-trimmed dresses, which were once displayed in the streets and fashionable promenades, are now only worn in carriages.  This display of showy dress and glaring colours is generally confined to those who love ostentation rather than comfort."

Well, now......comfort before ostentation, I always say.  But brown?  Having lived through the surfeit of brown in the 1970s I'm not so sure about wearing a brown dress ever again.

Enjoy your days!


6 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I'm with you on the brown! We're both gingers and brown is one of our 'colours' but it can sometimes be depressing! And we Women of a Certain Age deserve bright, flamboyant and outrageous sometimes! We've earned that right. Brown doesn't fit in with the above! On the other hand, floaty bits are out for women of a certain size, as well. I'm a bit taller than you, but round none-the-less, and floaty leads to jokes!

    Your garden plans sound wonderful and I can't wait to see what you end up with out there. Looking forward to pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Jennifer, the plans for your yard sound fantastic. I can't wait to see them and I'm glad you are having someone else do the back breaking work - we want you in tip top condition for your trip in October!! Thinking of quilting all those pinwheels makes me exhausted for you, but your plan does sound good. Sounds like you are busy as ever and before you know it spring will be upon you. Personally I'm looking forward to fall to leave these 100 degree days behind. My idea of summer is a nice 85 and cooling off in the evening. But I live in the desert so that's not going to happen. As for brown, pants perhaps with a jazzy and pretty top wouldn't be to bad, but just plain old brown, I say not to that!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No brown.
    I quite like a few floaty bits on jacket / cady over layers. I love bright colours but black as well. Buying clothes is not as easy or pleasant as we get older....I find cheaper items look just as good as the expensive ones.I often can't find anything I actually like and want to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to seeing your "after" photos. I am struggling with our yard which is way too big and as we get older also, we don't want to being mowing everything. Yet I am finding that the sustainable plantings I have been trying to achieve is taking more maintenance that anticipated. Maybe I'm feeling that way because we are just in the developing stages of this type of landscape and also, I have so many other things I want to do also....am realizing I'm putting too much pressure on myself to make everything perfect and that's a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how exciting about your new garden space!! Take lots of photos to share. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks.
    I'm in trouble, I guess, because I have on ostentatious peacock blue today ;-) Oh, dear.
    Have a great day,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. we had some work done in the backyard, too - it was exhausting just to watch the laborers, let alone to try lifting some of the concrete bits and landscape timbers that they hauled away ... next spring Auntia (who looks fantastic in brown - the bratte) plans on planting all kinds of lovely green things that she will lose interest in after a week or two and i will be stuck caring for ... at least the plants won't be leaving piles of poop, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!