Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

The garden is done

And we are so pleased with it!  As you can see it still looks a bit raw, but as the plants establish themselves it will become much more finished.  The rocks which were used as a garden edging (and which looked like broken teeth) are now scattered among the plants.  The bird bath is back - the birds have been a little slow to re-discover it, but they will come back in good time - the large plant against the fence in the pic below is rosemary which we planted a couple of years ago, it's used a lot in my kitchen.
 This is a garden which will provide entertainment for the cats, as it's right outside the floor-length window where they like to sit.  The path is gravel thumped into submission with a machine called a whacker packer, so it's well packed and not loose.
 A broken pot, now a decorative plant holder, beside an interesting native grass.
 To make up for the lack of colour so far here's a little native plant which lives in a tall pot on our back verandah.  Those pea-shaped flowers are only about the size of a fingernail, and yes, they are purple and orange together.  You and I possibly wouldn't wear that colour combination, but that doesn't worry Mother Nature!  It's a plant from Western Australia which amazed our garden designer - she hadn't seen it growing here.  Considering I can kill off plants without even trying, it's doing very well.
Once the new plants flower more our garden will be very pretty.  Many Australian native flowers are quite small, some are really tiny.......their size is their defence against hot weather, as smaller leaves and flowers are better able to withstand heat than large showy flowers.

Speaking of Australian flowers, yesterday was Wattle Day.  The Golden Wattle is Australia's official floral emblem and there are many species of wattle in bloom now all over town, it's such a glorious sight!  When I was at school a thousand years ago Wattle Day was celebrated on 1st August; since then it has moved back a month, but I still think of August extending into September as a celebration of wattle.

Second week of ukulele group has come and gone, and the same folks made the trek up that steep staircase for another hour of fun and music.  The woman with the dinky pink el cheapo uke, wearing a pink shirt, and declaiming loudly that she was only there to learn to play an instrument to ward off dementia, was giving me a dose of the irrits.....perhaps when I get a little more proficient I shall upgrade my uke (not very expensive, but at least it's not pink) to something better.

The challenge quilt is coming along nicely, all the pieced blocks are quilted and the setting squares have been started.  It's beginning to look as though it may be finished soon, yay!  Much will be the relief when it's done.

The shoulder exercises are being dutifully done, even though they won't help heal the internal tear - only surgery will do that, it seems.  But exercises will strengthen the shoulder muscles, which will help it cope with the weakness of the torn tendon.  We'll see how it goes next year; perhaps opting for surgery might have to be the way to go.

"Size in relation to dress and colors.
A small person may dress in light colours which would be simply ridiculous on a person of larger proportions.  So a lady of majestic appearance should never wear white, but will be seen to the best advantage in black or dark tints.  A lady of diminutive stature is dressed in bad taste when she appears in a garment with large figures, plaids or stripes.  Neither should a lady of large proportions be seen in similar garments, because, united with her size, they give her a "loud" appearance.  Indeed, pronounced figures and broad stripes and plaids are never in perfect taste."

That makes me wonder what the good folk of 1885 would have thought of wearing a garment in the colours of my flowers - bright orange, purple and green?  Perhaps it would be considered a trifle loud.

Enjoy your days!

13 comments:

  1. Ahh, the shoulder.

    Your garden looks great! Happy. Interesting to read about Australian natives. So fascinating about the size of leaves and blooms as defense against the weather. Nature is such a wonder!!!

    *karendianne. who actually didn't sleep last night and feels thumped into submission as well as the gravel show here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, the garden rehab is absolutely lovely. I love the walks and the little surprise rocks popping up everywhere. As for the little flower? I adore purple and orange and green together! I, being a woman of majestic proportions, don't give a rat's behind whether they are loud or not...I have come to the age where I wear what I want when I want to wear it! And Purple, green, and orange make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden redo is just lovely and I love the path. That whacker packer sounds like an awesome thing to make the gravel more stable for walking on. Sounds like the Uke group would be better without Miss Pinkie involved, perhaps she'll improve and not be so annoying as time goes by - one can hope, right. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I hope that learning an instrument does ward off dementia because my piano playing certainly isn't going to give me a new career as a concert pianist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post.... I had a good giggle at your uke lady....
    the garden looks great - will be nice and easy to maintain - I am always surprised at just how quick the natives grow...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. The garden looks fabulous Jennifer. I love the idea for using the plant pot as a planter turned on its side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with the garden. May all your plants flourish.
    Wear whatever colour you like and thinks suit you I say.
    The quilt progress sounds good...the end is in sight - photos please.
    Today we have rain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow .... how lovely your garden turned out! In a year's time, it will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photo of your native plants. Beautiful flower. So vibrant.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden redo looks quite nice and peaceful. Now that it's done, you must feel like taking a stroll just to enjoy it.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt.
    Hmm, loud plaids and stripes-I'm not sure that they look good on anyone, much less a traditionally built person ;-) I don't think Twiggy could pull off a loud plaid....
    Have a great week,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always forget about the bird feeder thing. I sometimes see the hummingbirds bathing while sitting on a branch as the sprinkler oscillates through the tree. Love the garden design. Hopefully not too much weeding which I hate.
    the Uke lady already has dementia from the sounds of it and I suspect someone is dropping her off.
    I also wear dark colours most of the time when going out...It works to make me look slimmer...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garden is looking great!

    I think my personal boat might have sailed as far as wearing clothes appropriate to my size is concerned! My love affair with colour continues unabated.

    Hope the exercises make the shoulder more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always a delight to stop by. You have a warm sense of humor that shows beautifully in your writing!

    I chuckled to myself when you mentioned wearing orange and purple, together. Actually I have. It's the colors of my alma mater, the university I attended some years ago now. a sea of primarily orange with, yes, some purple on college game day saturdays in the fall. ah, the memories.

    I was so excited to see and read about your garden. it looks lovely! I miss having a garden and growing my own herbs like rosemary. I shall have another again some day.

    And you're learning the ukulele! That's awesome!

    Sounds like you've been busy. Enjoy and here's wishing good health, especially in regards to that shoulder.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!