Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

We are having such a busy time........

..........that my poor blog has been neglected!  We have been to many interesting places, and met wonderful people.  A highlight of our trip was a visit to our friends in North Bay, Ontario - and you can read all about it here on Rose Marie's blog.  You can even see pictures too.  Thank you Rose Marie and Gilles, for being fabulous hosts and for being such great friends.....we appreciate your kindness more than words can say.

One night we played TV bingo (something we don't have in Australia, although I can remember bingo on the local radio station when I was a child) and I won $75, how cool is that!  We agreed beforehand that any winnings would be split and I was more than happy to fulfill my part of that bargain.

One place we visited was Sainte-Marie among the Hurons.  I knew a little about the French presence in Canadian history but didn't know about this settlement, which only existed for ten years.  While the settlement today is a re-creation, it is as close as can be ascertained to the original.  One thing we noticed inside the buildings is the lack of light, something we take for granted these days with big windows and light coloured interiors, but these were unpainted dark wood buildings which would have been illuminated by firelight and by rush lights.  It would have been good to spend more time at the museum but unfortunately was just on closing time when we had finished walking round the buildings.

The autumn colours in some areas were spectacular, while further north were nearly all gone - but bare trees have a stark beauty of their own too, with evergreens contrasting among the grey.

And we saw snow!  Not much by Canadian standards, but exciting for us.  Even driving along the highway in a light snowfall (very light) was a novelty.  Yesterday morning I stood in the snow and let the flakes fall on me, it was nice.....and cold. Quite cold.  Really really cold.

Right now we are back in the big city of Toronto until next Friday when we flap our wings once more and fly to British Columbia for a week in Victoria, on Vancouver Island.

On our last visit to Canada I fell and broke my arm, haven't done that this visit.....but I did kick my foot on a chair base a few nights ago.  It's still bruised, swollen and sore, but don't worry, I shall be back dancing the rumba in no time at all once I can get into my dancing shoes again.  That will teach me to be careful.  Small injuries can be rather painful, can't they?

Enjoy your days!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to got snow! It is delightful and it is cold. More is forecast, but not for Toronto. A winter spent in Canada is definitely different than a winter in Australia.
    I am thrilled Ontario has been such a great host to you and your spouse. It is a great province, a great country, but then and again I'm pretty darn prejudiced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a fabulous time. I went to your friends blod and enjoyed reading about what all you did and the pictures. Congrats on winning 75.00, that is awesome. And so glad you got some snow, everyone should experience snow. Can't wait to read more of your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer;

    It appears you are having a wonderful holiday...I went to your friend's blog and saw all that you got to do while there...AND you won $75.00...that means more shopping in my book! Have a wonderful time in British Columbia and safe travels home...can't wait to read more about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you're enjoying your trip immensely.

    TV bingo! I think Ive heard it all now...sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I checked out Rosemarie site and saw all of the great pictures she took. Looks like you have had a great visit. Glad you won the Bingo.

    Enjoy Victoria, one place I always wanted to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gilles and I are still talking about your visit with us! I stabbed my foot on the foot stool also (luckily, my slippers saved me more harm). Mmmmm ... think I need to just move the whole chair and foot stool to avoid future harm to anyone! Enjoy the rest of your stay here in Canada and I'm sure that Canadian hospitality will entend all the way to the west coast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are having a wonderful trip. Do be careful--easier said than done these days for me!
    Love your new header. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you are having a great time! Enjoy yourself.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!