Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Powering along.......

........which is good, because yesterday evening we weren't powering at all - we had a blackout.  It's storm season here and a week ago there was an almighty storm with lots of thunder, lightning, wind and rain; on the other side of the river a lot of damage was done by hail.  We were spared any damage.  There were also power blackouts.  Another storm yesterday afternoon and this time we weren't so lucky because we lost power for an hour and a half.  So the computer was turned off, and the sewing machine was also turned off because it's a computerised model and I didn't want its innards fried by lightning.  A bag has been cut out ready to be sewn but it may have to wait for a few days to be assembled, until the storms have passed.

Here's a couple of pictures from our holiday, you can see how gorgeous the fall colours were.  This bloke is quite armless, I would say......he doesn't look a happy chappy, does he?  Have you ever seen anything more mournful?
 The local park in Bayfield, Ontario.  It's a beautiful village which has been on the shores of Lake Huron since the early 1800s, and we enjoyed our visit.
Now that the heat wave has finished for now my guitar has come out of its case and you will be pleased to know I haven't forgotten how to play it.  My fingers remembered the chord patterns, and my brain remembered how to transpose to a different key.  Might even have have a plink on the ukulele from time to time too.

What is it with some blokes and their facial hair?  I don't mind a neat beard and/or moustache, but how about that little tuft of hair on the chin under the bottom lip?  It looks as though its owner spilt gravy on his chin.  Does anyone honestly think it looks good?

Here at Chateau des Wombats the Christmas decorations are up, such as they are.  Now that just two Olde Phartes live here we don't have a large tree, but we do have a few smaller table top trees.  A glass dish of glass Christmas tree balls, a couple of sparkly gold reindeer (which shed a few more of their sparkles each year), some red and green candles, a Jim Shore angel named Flossie and my wombat tree decorations complete the festive look.  There's something to be said for minimal decorating - it doesn't take as long to pack away again after Christmas.

"The beard.
Those who shave should be careful to do so every morning.  Nothing looks worse than a shabby beard.  Some persons whose beards are strong should shave twice a day, especially if they are going to a party in the evening."

Is a chin tuft regarded as a shabby beard, I wonder?

Enjoy your days!

8 comments:

  1. LOL Ijust love the beaver with your wombats that is just tooo cute.
    My Aunt lived in Godrich whichis a stones throw from Bayfield used to go up for Thanksgiving. I have pictures of stone work that is amazing from up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those tiny tufty "beards" make people look like villains from cartoons...is that just me ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the power be with you. ( it's surprising how many activities require power, both work and play )
    Glad I don't have to worry about facial hair...even my eye brows seem to have faded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't like soul patches, either ... and the men wearing them just don't seem to be able to leave them alone - twirl twist twirl ... so i don't look and i don't watch

    it is cold (brrr) and windy again today - but we have power (just like She-Ra)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how fun are your ornies... and the beaver in there too!!! I did have a laugh at your down in the dumps armless chappy....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree with you about decorating. Less is more and easier to pack away. Sounds like the storms are giving y'all fits if you lost power. As for that "beard" thing that some men have, I don't get it, I wish they'd shave it, and I think it looks really silly. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your new background-it's quite festive! A very serious bloke indeed. Speaking of blokes, your comment about facial hair made me roll. My husband works with a young guy who asks him if his beard looks filthy. Filthy, I guess, is the new word for cool. Just in case you wanted to know what to call the scruff under the lip ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a clean shaven lover, and see that most men with dark growths all look like the Oxy Clean guy. I do like a mustache though, not too big, just Tom Sellick kind of look.
    Storms can,as you say do damage to sewing machines with power surges. Good to have protection.
    Love the little beasties in your photo.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!