Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Progress......and number 200

The project started at the weekend UFO workshop is coming along nicely, as you can see.

 The pieced arcs are all made and trimmed, the inner sections are pinned in place.  The rest of the cutting will be done soon, then it can all be assembled.  I am really pleased with my fabric choices!

Last week this block was finished......that makes 200.  This is my portable hand-pieced project which has been on the go for seven years now........
 ........and these are some of the finished blocks, you can see the layout I have in mind.  All floral prints; the effect I am after is of a garden, and like many gardens there are pastels and brights, quiet prints and loud ones too.
Only 25 blocks to go, then the joining can begin!

The road works between here and town are proceeding.  Most people are being sensible and staying on the lower speed limit, but why do people think the lower limit doesn't apply at night or on weekends when the workmen aren't there?  I am getting tired of being tailgated at night because I am driving at the correct speed and the idiot behind me (almost invariably in an SUV) thinks I should be going faster.  If the police were to sit there with a speed trap they would rake in a tidy fortune.

Now, you and I know that the English language is continually changing and evolving - that means changes that we may or may not like but can accept, because we are not old fuddy-duddies, are we?  We can accept that sporting 'matches' no longer take place because every game these days is considered a 'clash' by the media, but I will be darned if I will accept 'grab'.  "I'll just grab your details" says the chickybabe at the medical centre......what's wrong with "May I have your details?"  "Can I grab a coffee?" says a young bloke in a café.  "Grab", to me, is snatching at something rudely and abruptly.  If I choose to ignore such a request, does that make me rude in return?  We won't even go into the absence of "please".......

School holidays are now over, so both choirs and the uke group will be resuming this week.  While it's been nice to relax in the evenings and not have to rush dinner to go out afterward it will be good to be making music again, I do miss it.

Kevin's shoulder is proceeding nicely.  The only drawback is his lack of domestic assistance, because there are some things he cannot do; hanging out washing, for instance.  He can't yet drive either, so I am also the chauffeur.  This means I am busier than usual, which is one of the reasons this poor blog has been neglected recently.  But that, too, will pass.

"Flippancy.
In conversation, all provincialism, affectations of foreign accents, mannerisms, exaggerations and slang are detestable.  Equally to be avoided are inaccuracies of expression, hesitation, an undue use of foreign words, and anything approaching to flippancy, coarseness, triviality or provocation."

Does that also include "grab"?  We can only hope.......

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. I remember you working on those basket blocks while visiting with us. It will be nice to see them all done and put together. Good for you for hanging in there.

    Your new project looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you nailed the feel of a garden with your basket blocks. It looks so pretty!

    I take great delight in doing the speed limit through road works and school crossings and annoying all the impatient people behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe all those little baskets are hand pieced... just lovely and so is your foundation piecing.. I agree the colours are perfect...
    I will have to make sure I mind my p's and q's with you????? haha.. I agree, grab means take rather horribly...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. The English language has evolved into a load of total rubbish. Have you "gotten" it yet? Drives me crazy.
    Beautiful blocks Jennifer. It's going to make one gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, both of your projects are so beautiful. I can't wait to see both of them come together as you get closer to having them done. As for "grab", sounds rude to me, I've never liked "grabby" people. And I'm with you - what happened to please and thank you, manners seem to be a thing of the past and that is just sad!! Glad Kevin is doing well and hopefully he'll be helping more very soon. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 200 hand pieced flower basket blocks? Wow, well done! How patiently you've been piecing and now you're almost to the point where you can join them. That must be exciting for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 200, gosh for a minute, when I first saw the number, I thought...200 quilts? Oh the blocks! they look wonderful and you hand pieced them which is a work of art in my book! I too, sometimes wish there wasn't so much slang in the language, but Jennifer, are you texting at all? Now there is a language of its own!
    I think that people only slow for work in progress, because the rest of the time, without workers there, it is actually back to the speed limit. It is here anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!