Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thunder, lightning, heavy rain.......and even hail!

That's what we had yesterday afternoon.  Lots and lots of heavy rain, 23 mls (that's nearly an inch in old money) in half an hour, and of course when the hail melted it added to the moisture for the garden.  We had some shredded leaves knocked off the we-think-it's-an-apricot tree, as you can see.....but very little other garden damage, and no house damage.
 Lots of wet white stuff, but it isn't snow.  We don't get snow here.
 The wind was blowing cold, it blew the hail against the edge of the garden.
 Although you can't quite see, the grass on the other side of our fence was awash.
This is on the sheltered side of the house.

Despite the storms the rain was very welcome, and looking at the weather radar there is a chance we may get more storms this afternoon......so long as it brings more rain!

Tomorrow we are driving to the Big Smoke, and in two days I will be hopefully pumped full of happy juice because there is no way I am letting any medical people near me otherwise; I don't like having Things done to me.  In three days it will all be over, and on Thursday we are driving home.

There is no way on this earth that the skirt for the wedding will be finished before tomorrow either.  The centre back seam is sewn, and to finish off the edges of both the seam and the opening above it (the zipper is in the lining so an opening is left in the skirt) I am sewing a hand-rolled hem.  It is not difficult, just a little fiddly, and the first side went very well.  The second side.......ah, that's a different story.  The hem was rolled the wrong way so that it was on the outside rather than the inside, and it is having to be re-done.  I know what I did wrong and have learnt my lesson, but as I am leaving for the radio station in less than an hour there is every chance it may not be finished tonight, it will depend on how tired my eyes are after dinner.  I did want to have that much finished before the trip to hospital, because I don't know how long it will be before I can sew again.  A shoulder operation requires the wearing of a sling for several weeks afterward with limited use of the arm in that time - fortunately it's my left arm, and I'm right-handed.

Ah well.  We can only do what we can do, can't we.  So long as it is finished in time for the wedding, because the very thought of the groom's mother in a state of undress is not something we will consider even for a moment.

However if half of me is incapacitated then I won't be able to do much housework, will I?  Oh dear, what a shame......

"Breaking an appointment.
Do not break an appointment with a business man, if possible to avoid it, for if you do, the party with whom you made it may have reason to think that you are not a man of your word, and it may also cause him great annoyance, and loss of time.  If, however, it becomes absolutely necessary to do so, you should inform him beforehand, either by a note or by a special messenger, giving reasons for its non-fulfilment."

These days we would send a text message or an email.

Enjoy your days!

8 comments:

  1. Safe travels to the Big Smoke and good luck with the surgery. I will be thinking about you on Tuesday and sending you all sorts of good vibes for a great surgery and a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and don't do housework - you need to behave and do what the doctors tell you. Hugs my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear, I am sending gentle hugs and prayers that the medicos in charge of your care are well-rested, knowledgable, and ready for the day! Looking forward to hearing that everything went well and you are home and recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s some fairly impressive weather you had.

    Best of luck for the op- I’ll be thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all the best for the operation... it will certainly be good once it is all over.... lots of hail there...we have had a bit of rain but no hail as yet....
    pity about the housework... what things we have to bear!!

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like our weather here in Southwestern Ontario.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was summer with you? I'm confused.

    All the best for the op.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't access my email right now .... just wishing that all went well and you will be glad to be home! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of hail! I'm glad to hear that you didn't have any roof damage. Here's hoping that your surgery goes as planned and that you'll be feeling 100% before you know it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!