Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

We are both doing well

That is, Binky and I are both doing well.  Since starting on antibiotics for her infection she has become a new cat:  back to her old self, talking our heads off and bouncing round again like a much younger kitty.  We are quite relieved, as we were starting to imagine a sadder scenario.

Here she is in her younger days, when we lived in the Big Smoke:
This jacaranda tree was in our back yard, and Binky really liked climbing it - probably to keep an eye out for neighbourhood mice, because she was a very good mouser in her youth.

Apparently my shoulder is progressing as it should be, according to the physiotherapist on our weekly visit on Friday.  Thank goodness Anna will be back from her honeymoon and I can see her this Friday instead.  I don't like being patronised by younger blokes, and being called "lass" by someone young enough to be my child sets my teeth on edge.  I don't expect "madam", but Mrs Last Name or Jennifer would be much better.  No doubt he's a good physiotherapist, but he doesn't have a good manner when one is a female Olde Pharte - or perhaps some old dears don't mind.  I do.

One thing he told me was that these operations aren't always successful and the stitched-together tear can come apart fairly soon.  I don't recall the specialist saying this, or perhaps he did and I have forgotten.  It has made me ultra-cautious about doing anything at all with that arm now.  At least the physiotherapist did say that this particular specialist has a very high success rate, something to be thankful for - because I don't think I could do it again.  Yesterday the arm and shoulder were so sore and aching that I don't know how I made it through the day, while today there is almost no pain and I don't know why!  Even the swelling in my upper arm seems to have gone down.  I am hoping that is a good sign and not an indication of something more ominous.  Ah well, it will either get better or fall off, won't it?

I can say, though, that I will pleased when the sling no longer has to worn in bed, because I have never slept well on my back.

On to happier things.

Had a fun time last week at the Thursday night choir Christmas party......held, strangely enough, on Thursday night!  We are looking forward to resuming after our December/January break.  Tomorrow night is the annual meeting of the Monday night choir, I will attend but have pretty much decided that I won't be back next year.  I have realised I don't fit into their mould; I don't attend church, and singing religious songs isn't the be all and end all in my life, as it for the director.  While I don't dislike her I don't think I can cope with her choice of music for much longer, and she seems to have the final say (the only say, from what I have gathered) in the choice of choir material.  I told a couple of members that I may not be back next year and they were quite concerned.  We shall see what tomorrow night brings; I won't burn any bridges, but there's no point in flogging a dead horse, is there?  Nothing like a good cliché!

"Education of girls too superficial.
The school instruction of our girls is too superficial.  There is a smattering of too many branches, where two or three, systematically studied and thoroughly mastered, would accomplish much more for them in the way of a sound mental training, which is the real object of education."

I wish my parents had felt that way.  Perhaps I would have gone on to finish high school, if they had.

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. So happy that both you and Binky are doing well. Binky is sure a beautiful girl. I so get what you are saying about someone really young calling you a lass, that would annoy me as well. Sounds like you are progressing nicely. I remember having a day here and there that my shoulder would hurt all day and set my teeth on edge and be just fine the next day, I think it's just the healing process. Now don't go climbing any trees - either you or Binky, haha. Take care my friend and soon that darn sling will be gone!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you and Binky are doing well.... slowly but surely for you I guess...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't quite imagine the connotations of "lass" - it's not something that one would get called her. "Dear", possibly. Personally, I like people who are messing about with my body to address me as Mrs Last Name. It just adds that bit of dignity that I need in these situations; though I'm happy for almost anyone else to use my first name. It especially grates on me when old people in care homes are addressed by their first names, as they are, universally. But on the other hand, I suppose some people like it.

    The main thing, though, is that you get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Isabelle. When addressed in such a silly fashion I would politely say please would you call me Alison.
    Likewise I would not call them anything silly or patronising. If I had forgotten their name I would ask again.
    We have some one who rings us ( on business ) and calls either of us lovey. ( which means she can't remember our names as far as I am concerned. Which is strange because I always answer the phone by saying, "Good morning it is Alison speaking."( or what ever time of day it is )So if they are listening that should give them a clue.
    I hope your arm is soon pain free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you and Binky are on the mend. I am taking hubby into Toronto tomorrow for his pre op appointment he is having his shoulder replaced in January. His arthritis has become so bad it is just bone on bone. I am hoping he has a good outcome. Keep on your road to recovery. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of Binky made me laugh-she must have been quite the adventurer when she was younger. It can take some time to heal, can't it? It always seems like it takes much longer than it should. Here's hoping that you'll be pain free soon.
    Enjoy your weekend,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!