The other day I bought new sandals for the wedding. I decided I wasn't happy with the sandals I bought a few months ago, and saw a pair on sale which I liked better - they are dressier, too. The others will still be worn but on more casual occasions. What do you think of the new ones? Higher than anything I have worn for years, all of two and a half inches off the ground.....but that's all right, because I am short.
A new bag - green! a slightly brighter colour than this pic shows, it matches the fabric below - and a feathery hair ornament which may or may not be worn, I will take the hairdresser's advice on this, but I liked it so I bought it. My hair is long and will be worn up.
The skirt and scarf/wrap are the autumn-toned print, the green fabric on the left is the top, the teal in the background is the skirt lining. The print and lining were bought locally at the Really Good Fabric Shop, the green in Toronto, Canada, some years ago.
Earlier in the week I realised that there is no way I can have the top made in time because of the current shoulder limitations, so took myself off to the local shops to see if anything suitable could be bought. There was nothing. That was quite sad because the whole outfit was planned round that lovely green cotton fabric. However on asking at the Really Good Fabric Shop if they had a contact for a dressmaker the woman there said "I'll make it for you"....and I am so happy. It's already partly done, I had a fitting on Friday. I will be able to finish making the skirt myself; next step is to attach the waistband, add a hook and eye and it will be done. Then the remaining fabric piece will have its edges straightened and finished with a machine rolled hem. The original plan was a hand-rolled hem with a beaded fringe trim but that will not happen......beads can be added in the future. That will give me a scarf/wrap to keep the sun off my neck as the wedding is in a park, and to ward off the air conditioned chill in the restaurant at the reception later.
One of my musical friends said yesterday she was once told that the groom's mother should wear beige, and keep her opinions to herself. Beige? Weddings are joyful times......how can anyone wear dreary beige to a happy occasion?
You will be pleased to know that there seem to be no ill effects from last weekend's fall. The shoulder is no worse, my bum had quite a bruise which made sitting painful for a few days but it is getting better too. After the wedding the shoulder may be recovered enough to go back to presenting my radio program, my arm needs to be able to stretch out to the front and side which it can't yet do. Even the morning walk has started again now that the sling has been cast aside......short walks at first, but they will gradually be lengthened.
So life is slowly getting back to what passes for normal.
"We put bright colours on our little children; we dress our young girls in light and delicate shades; the blooming matron is justified in adopting the warm, rich hues which we see in the autumn leaf, while black and neutral tints are declared appropriate to the old."
Would you describe the Mother of the Groom's choice above as warm and richly hued....even though she is perhaps no longer described as a "blooming matron"?
Enjoy your days!
Your colour choice is lovely, I had to buy a 2nd outfit for my sons wedding as I had chosen the same colour as the brides mum,should have asked her first as it was an expensive exercise for me!!! Look forward to seeing photos after the wedding!!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness I love the new shoes and the purse - what a wonderful match. So glad you found someone to do some sewing for you. Your outfit will be stunning and festive - beige is for people with no imagination!! Glad to hear your are okay from your fall and that you are plucking a few strings. Things are coming right along. Hugs my friend!!
ReplyDeleteLovely new sandals...When I wear heels I usually go for kitten heels. Cant tell you the last time I wore something that was higher than a couple of inches.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you've;ve been plinking/plunking /making music.
the whole outfit is looking lovely.... just love the colours.... glad to hear you are doing a bit of plinking?
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if I would find wearing beige or keeping opinions to myself harder???? haha...
Hugz
some strings are strummed - ha ha ha!!! or ... maybe uke strings aren't strummed?!? i dunno - i'm not musically inclined, you know...
ReplyDeleteyou are gonna look beeyootimus in your new outfit ... i'm with you on beige - i would disappear if i wore beige ... and i do feel that the World is entitled to my Opinion, whether It wants to hear it or not...
still ... not ALL weddings are joyful - IF i'd been included in my oldest progeny's wedding (NONE of his family was, so it wasn't just me) i think i would have had to wear black - ha ha ha!!!
I was also told that the Mother of the Groom was to wear beige and shut up! I, instead, wore fuchia and talked to everyone! Of course, that marriage didn't last, but the 2nd one is a keeper - I wore orchid and talked to everyone, too! That outfit, including shoes, bag and hairpiece are simply stunning! I would say you have nailed it, my friend!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely selection of fabrics and footwear. You will look beautiful. Good to hear your shoulder seems to be coming along nicely, and you're able to do more. Hubby is home from his shoulder replacement so now we have the physio, much like the exercises I am sure you have to do as well.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your wedding outfit is coming together quite nicely! I'm glad that you were able to find someone to sew the blouse for you.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend,
Judy