Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fraying at the edges

Isn't this a fun block?  It's called Frayed Sawtooth Star and comes from EQ7.
 Next month is my turn to provide a sample block and instructions to make it, for my quilt group.  Some of the women seem to have an aversion to triangles, so I always make sure that my blocks have some.  The background is white on white, my sewing table is white....can't tell where one ends and the other begins, can you?  When several blocks are set together a secondary diagonal line is quite noticeable.
Here is the current project, a new purse for me.  This is the lining, with one of the side seams having self-made bias binding applied over the seam; all the inside seams are finished this way.  It's a more attractive colour that this, the machine light was shining onto it and making it appear washed-out.......and yes, all that quilting was done on My Lovely New Bernina by me before the pieces were cut out.

Sewing has become possible again, so long as I take plenty of breaks and don't reach forward too much.  Wednesday last week was one of the worst days since I went Under The Knife; at sewing guild my machine was set up on a table and it was a bit high for me to use comfortably, so after a short while I stopped sewing.  However by the time I arrived home it was agony, and it was for the rest of the day too.  Ever since then I have been very careful with what I do, which is why, for a while, I am sitting here at the computer having coffee instead of sewing.

Was I the only person in the world who was annoyed by the treatment given to various country's flags by many idiots at the sports carnival which recently finished?  Flags have their own protocol; as far as I know they are not to be dropped on the ground at any time and should always be treated with dignity.  Wearing your country's flag round your shoulders as a cloak is not dignified.  If you want to dress up, use your mother's old curtains.  While I don't think Australia's flag design is relevant these days and would love to see it changed, I respect what it stands for.

Only two days of February to go, and we have had less than half the average rainfall for the month again.  Rain is forecast for tomorrow but it's doubtful that we will get much.  Last year's rainfall was well below average and the past two summers have been hotter than average, so water supplies in many places have dried up.  A local bloke told me recently he thinks we are in for an early, long and cold winter because he has seen snakes on the move shedding their skins.  As one who doesn't do reptiles I will take his word for that......I am not going out and about looking for snakes, believe me.  Australia has some very deadly snakes and many of them live in our area.  On our recent trip to Canberra we noticed that many trees are looking autumnal, poor things have gone into an early dormancy because it's been so hot and dry.  Autumn won't arrive for a while yet, but colours are already changing and leaves are dropping.  Hopefully there will be some colour left when we go back to Canberra in April for the folk festival.

Some pics of the wedding have appeared on the photographer's web site, so if you would like to see them let me know and I will send you the link.

"Can any one fancy what our society might be, if all its members were perfect gentlemen and true ladies, if all the inhabitants of the earth were kind-hearted ; if, instead of contending with the faults of our fellows, we were each to wage war against our own faults?  Every one needs to guard constantly against the evil from within as well as from without, for, as has been truly said, "A man's greatest foe dwells in his own heart"."

The folks writing the etiquette book in 1885 knew a thing or two, didn't they?

Enjoy your days!

10 comments:

  1. So good to see you back sewing which must make you feel great. Our sunburnt country is certainly dry but hopefully the heavy recent rain in Far Nth Qld might find its way south, we are also dry in Victoria. I'd love to see some pics of your family wedding..only if its not intruding! As for our flag, yes we grew up respecting the flag, but I do love seeing our athletes draped in it, I see it as them being proud of their country, we all see things differently. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that block....what a great way to use up scraps! And anyone who sews or quilts always has a ton of scraps!

    I'd love to see pictures of the wedding, please.

    I, too, was appalled by the disrespect to the flags of the nations. To give the athletes their due, though, I do not believe they were intending to be disrespectful, rather, they just didn't know. And the blame there goes to their teachers for not instilling the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno –that block looks pretty complicated to me.... Not sure I could get all the bits to match up as beautifully as you did. But , being back sewing must feel like a shackle or two has been lifted!

    We had plenty of rain here this month – broke some kind of records, but I agree with your local bloke ...I can feel a long cold winter coming. The weather here this week has been very autumn like...

    I'd love to see the wedding pics. Please please send me the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I LOVE that block and good for you for adding triangles, practice makes perfect and then you don't mind them. So happy to see that you are able to do some stitching. I wonder if some massage on the shoulder might help - break up some scar tissue and ease the pain. I know that they did that for my one shoulder and it really helped and helped with being able to have full range of motion. It's a very hard surgery to recover from as is knee replacement (and now I get to experience the knee replacement, ugh). Take care my friend - Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely block ... very cheerful.... It's amazing how something like the height of the table makes such a difference....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that block - it looks like such fun to make!

    Good news that you're making some progress and able to sew - with the machine at the proper height for you, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely Block, beautiful colours. I sure would love to see some of your wedding photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful block. Good news you are back sewing. Taking it slowly is a good plan. The sooner the "Joe Blake's" slither off for a big sleep the better I say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with everyone else on this.....love the block. Cheerful and boy do we need that up here today. More snow squalls coming off one of the great lakes.....don't know right now what is so great about them!!! Traffic accidents galore. It's very cold, very windy and not the best day to be venturing out, so I'm not.
    I wish we could share this moisture, but alas we can't. Sorry Australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the bright colours in your block.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!