Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A finished project to report

Finally - something is completed, and I now have a new purse!
Several years ago I made my first purse using this pattern, and it has been used and loved nearly to death.  Its main fabric is an all over Laurel Burch cat print in blue, green, turquoise, line and purple and the trim is a celtic design in blue, purple and green on black.  As greens and blues feature in my summer wardrobe I looked for a fabric in similar colours and found this Jinny Beyer 'Coraline' print for the main fabric; the smoky teal trim is from the "I Believe in Santa" range by Nancy Halvorsen......so I can have Christmas all year round, should I wish!

Lots of inside pockets, and the base will flatten with use.  When I went fabric shopping I was a little disappointed in local choices and would have liked something brighter, but have to admit these fabrics are growing on me.  My purses generally aren't made from two fabrics from a co-ordinating range because an element of surprise is much more fun......and much less predictable.  And who wants to be predictable?

After the response to last week's block I promise there will be a tutorial, but it will have to wait for a week or two.  First, the instructions need to be written and printed out for quilt group on Monday - I can already hear the comments about triangles.

Finally, progress seems to be happening with the shoulder - it's not hurting so much, and the range of movement is increasing.  My hair can now be put up which is a boon on hot days, and the daily exercises (which have yet to be done today) are getting easier.  However, last Friday Anna The Nice Young Physiotherapist said no driving the car just yet so I am still being chauffeur driven, or catching the bus.  Hopefully the day will soon come when it doesn't get mentioned any more; I'm sure the world, like me, will be very relieved when that finally happens.

Next week we are off to the Big Smoke for the annual visit to our financial bloke, to see if we can afford to live past next Christmas.  Ah well, there always busking on a street corner if the money is running out, isn't there?

Oh dear, the sights one sees......an attractive young chickybabe in the main street this morning wearing under her loosely fitted slightly sheer top a low-cut bra which was a few sizes too small, there was more of her out than there was contained, if you get my meaning.......bounce jiggle bounce jiggle as she made her merry way along......just because one can do something doesn't mean to say that one should, you know........our town isn't huge, but we do have at least one shop where one can be properly fitted for undies.

Of late the unpleasant heat we had for so long seems to be finally easing, and it is so much more pleasant.  Perhaps autumn is just around the corner!

"In every class of life, in all professions and occupations, good manners are necessary to success.  The business man has no stock-in-trade that pays him better than a good address.  If the retail dealer wears his hat on his head in the presence of ladies who come to buy of him, if he does not see that the heavy door of his shop is opened and closed for them, if he seats himself in their presence, if he smokes a pipe or cigar, or has a chew of tobacco in his mouth, while talking with them, or is guilty of any of the small incivilities of life, they will not be apt to make his shop a rendezvous, no matter how attractive the goods he displays."

I don't think I have ever been served by a retail dealer who had a chew of tobacco in his mouth, and indeed I hope I never am.

Enjoy your days!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the finish. I like a big bag myself . We women do seem to carry all sorts of things around that mean a big bag is needed. (I could run away from home with the one I tend to use every day and I’m sure it sometimes looks like I’m doing just that )

    Way to go on the shoulder progress . I bet you’ll be thrilled when you get the Ok to drive again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two "Well dones! " One for the bag and one for the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bag and such good news that the pain is going and sewing can resume x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed by your bag - what a great finish!
    And I'm thrilled that you're feeling less and less shoulder pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear about the shoulder. Do keep us posted. I love your choices of fabric for the bag. I had that Nancy Halvorsen in my stash for eons.......all gone now.
    Jiggle, jiggle......I'll not say a word more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. luffly!!! finished is ALWAYS better than not - and when it is something that you can keep for yourself and use everyday, it is even better ... our temps are supposed to be close to 70 degrees (F) today, with snow, ice and high temps in the teens forecast for tomorrow - never a dull moment around here...

    someday the shoulder pain will be a distant memory - hopefully sooner rather than later...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I can't believe I totally missed this post, but I may have been in the midst of chemo and not reading much. Your purse is beautiful and I love all the pockets. As for that chickybabe, oh my, why do people dress like that - a little mystery is always the best approach if you ask me. Glad the shoulder is doing better, that is wonderful news. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!