Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Eggs and omelettes

Wouldn't you like an omelette made from eggs in this nest?
   Might be a bit hard on the teeth, though.
It's an interesting artwork called 'Nest III' (I don't know where I and II are, or if indeed they exist at all) and is perched on a hill at the Arboretum, which we visited for the first time on our recent visit to Canberra.  It's made of discarded tools and pieces of farm machinery; I admire people who can see ways to use old stuff that might otherwise be discarded.  Size - it's big, much taller than I am.......which is not hard, I'm only five feet two inches. Or thereabouts.

Our taste of winter earlier this month was just that, a little taste.  Since then, days have been much milder although it does cool down at night.  No doubt when winter arrives it will hit like a ton of bricks.  Many locals are still in summer clothes, they are braver than I am because out of the sunshine it's not very warm.  Last week we saw a young woman wearing a summer dress with tiny shoulder straps, sandals on her bare tootsies........and a heavy woollen scarf wrapped round her neck and chest.  I felt like tapping her on the shoulder and saying "for goodness' sake, dear, if you are cold put on more clothes......do you know how silly you look?"  I don't think she would have thanked me.  But she did look silly.

Blue skin and goose bumps do not make for a good look in winter.  The same with bare legs.  What's wrong with wearing warm tights in autumn/winter if one wants to wear a skirt?  One can still look attractive while being warm, there is plenty of opportunity in spring and summer for baring one's flesh in public should one wish.  However, just because one can do something doesn't mean that one should.

Yesterday the scissors were wielded in the sewing room and a top was cut out from fabric purchased in Canberra.  Now all one needs is the motivation to sit down at the machine and sew it, but that will come over the next few days.  The fabric is rather yummy, a viscose-blend knit in blue, yellow and green with an interesting print of bugs and moths, but you have to look hard to see them.  The front was (hopefully!) carefully cut out so that the print won't be badly placed. Pattern is Jalie 2794 and this will be the second time I have made it.

Leaves on the we-think-it's-an-apricot tree in our back yard are nearly all yellow now, just a few touches of green are hanging on, and many of those leaves have already fallen.  In another week the tree will be almost bare, and the golden carpet on the ground will be turning brown and dry.  There are some trees in our street right now which are turning a rich dark purple-red but I don't know what they are called - they are really beautiful.

"Morning dress for street.
The morning dress for the street should be quiet in color, plainly made and of serviceable material.  It should be short enough to clear the ground without collecting mud and garbage.  Lisle-thread gloves in mid-summer, thick gloves in mid-winter, are more comfortable for street wear than kid ones.  Linen collars and cuffs are most suitable for morning street dress.  The bonnet and hat should be quiet and inexpressive, matching the dress as nearly as possible.  In stormy weather a large waterproof with hood is more convenient and less troublesome than an umbrella.  The morning dress for visiting or breakfasting in public may be, in winter, of woollen goods, simply made and quietly trimmed, and in summer, of cambric, pique, marseilles or other wash goods, either white or figured.  For morning wear at home the dress may be still simpler.  The hair should be plainly arranged without ornament."

Nothing there about heavy woollen scarves worn with summer sundresses and sandals, you notice.

Enjoy your days!

4 comments:

  1. that nest is wonderful.... I also admire people who can see such things from a pile of throwout stuff....
    I am enjoying the changing of the trees here.... lots of different colours around town...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. That nest is wonderful! I so admire people who come up with ideas like that for items that are no longer used for their original purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am personally quilt fascinated by sculpture or art made from bits and pieces. Your pictures shows an interesting example. Lots of bits and bobs in there !

    Summer dresses and a scarf is ridiculous I agree- right up there with sandals with socks....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite an interesting piece! I like how the artist used old farm implements to create something new.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!