Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

More autumn gorgeousness

Is there such a word as gorgeousness?  There should be.
 Fallen leaves, before they were walked into mush.
 Lovely red leaves.
Golden leaves.  I love taking pictures of fallen autumn leaves before they turn wet and slimy - the mix of colours is so pretty.  These were all taken at the open garden we attended a few weeks ago.

The current project on the sewing machine is a fiddly diddly applique owl block which will end up in a charity quilt.  It is very cutesy-poo.  I don't do cutesy-poo.  Fortunately it is nearly finished, just the coloured framing strips remain to be done.  It will be handed over at next month's quilt group meeting with a huge sigh of relief.  Hopefully whoever provides the block of the month in June doesn't go in for cutesy-poo applique, but I wouldn't bet on it.  When it's my turn they get a pieced block, with triangles.

Ah well.  The world would be a dull place if we all felt the same, wouldn't it?

Last week the newish car and I made each other's acquaintance, and so far the relationship is proceeding well.  I drive it to uke group on Tuesday evening and home again, and to choir on Thursday night and home again, and I am getting used to the controls being on the other sides because it is European.  Occasionally I turn on the windscreen washers instead of the indicators (probably much to the amusement of other drivers) but that is happening less and less.  So long as my right hand does most of the work and my left hand stays low, all is well......my shoulder is pretty much over its operation but still doesn't like sudden movements.  Any little twinges can probably now be put down to the fact that autumn is here, the weather is cooler, and things hurt more when it's cold.

Last Friday evening we had a lovely dinner at a (the) local French restaurant, and it was worth every penny.  It isn't the amount you pay, but the value you get for what you pay, isn't it?  The restaurant isn't open every night which is why we haven't been for a couple of years, as our 'occasions' - birthdays, anniversary - have been happening on their closed nights.  I had salmon and it was really yummy, Kevin had steak, and of course we had dessert, raspberry roulade for me and strawberry cream cake for him.

Another nine months until the next birthday in our household.......I'll be hanging out for that, you know.  I always enjoy a meal I haven't had to cook.  Not that I mind cooking, but as one has been cooking nearly every night for well over 40 years - the novelty of cooking wore off a very very long time ago.

"The table appointments.
A snow-white cloth of the finest damask, beautiful china, glistening or finely-engraved glass, and polished plate are considered essential to a grand dinner.  Choice flowers, ferns and mosses tastefully arranged, add much to the beauty of the table.  A salt-cellar should be within the reach of every guest.  Napkins should be folded square and placed with a roll of bread upon each plate.  The dessert is placed on the table amidst the flowers.  An epergne, or a low dish of flowers, graces the centre ; stands of bon-bons and confectionery are ranged on both sides of the table, which completes the decorations of the table.  The name of each guest, written upon a card and placed one on each plate, marks the seat assigned."

Does that sound like dinner at your house?  Because it certainly doesn't sound like mine.......

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Definitely a word I love! Your dinner sounded delish!!! No that doesn't sound like our place at all Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, I love leaves and pictures of all the colors of the leaves. So beautiful. Autumn is my favorite season. We are heading into summer with temps in the 90's today. With that happening this soon, I think we are in for a hot and possibly long summer. Sounds like dinner out was fabulous. It's always so nice to go to a good restaurant and enjoy a meal cooked and served by others and someone else doing the dishes. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m pretty sure gorgeousness is a real word – I use it all the time. (and it’s on my spell check )

    Please show the cutesy poo block at some stage – I tend not to do that style either but I always like to see other people’s work when they’re working outside of their preference zones.

    The novelty of cooking dinner for me just never happened full stop. Last night I chucked oven fries and chicken from a box in the oven because I was being a total slacker. Frankly it was vile and it will probably be another year before I decide that’s a good way round the dinner dilemma again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If gorgeousness is not a real word it should be... the autumn leaves are lovely ... we are getting a few now.... sounds like a lovely meal.. its a treat to eat out. I hope you show us your cutesy poo block?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeousness and stupider both should be words - and spell check isn't telling me that they aren't...

    autumn leaves are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the shoulder is almost back to rights; it must feel wonderful to be doing normal things again (like celebrating a milestone with a posh night out!) I am a bit confused about your car...does this mean it's a wrong-hand drive for your roads? (do Australians drive on the right or left side?!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that your shoulder is getting close to normal again.

    The grass is really a nice green right now. Slowly, our temps are starting to warm up.

    You must be in your glory right now with all the autumn colours. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!