Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

A finished project

Finished projects have been few and far between for several months, but hopefully will happen more now!  My top is finished, if you wear glasses you might want to make sure they are adjusted properly.  The fabric is a bit eye-popping......but rather gorgeous.
The front, it's a bit hard to see but the centre front is gathered to make a sweetheart neckline - pattern is Jalie's "Sweetheart Top".
The back, and as the print is asymmetric it was a wee bit tricky deciding where to place the various pieces so the pattern didn't form headlights on the front.  A viscose-blend knit in green, yellow and blue, and the green is much prettier than it looks here.  Green doesn't always photograph well, sadly.  The print design is bugs, moths, wings, and feelers; it looks as though the images were played with on a computer and this is the result.

Finished is a good feeling.

Now the project being worked on is the monthly block for my quilt group, last month's was a cutesy-poo owl appliqué and this month's is a cutesy-poo and fiddly-diddly pieced dog.  Fabric is supplied and we are asked to make two, one each with a red and a green background.  I don't mind making the blocks as they end up in charity quilts, but oh dear - cutesy-poo is difficult for me, and cutesy-poo and fiddly-diddly is even worse.  The fabric supplied is not good quality and one of them is a poly-cotton blend, so let's hope it doesn't melt when ironed.  Ah well, sewing it will keep me off the streets tomorrow, won't it?

The uke group had its moment of fame and glory a couple of days ago, and we even made the local TV news that night, and the front page of yesterday's paper, in all our glory.  For some reason I was the one the camera lovingly lingered on, double chins and all.......not a pretty sight, folks.......my fingers (and my gorgeous and somewhat expensive uke) were filmed in close-up while I was just noodling round on some chords, perhaps because no one else was playing at the time.  It's probably like many other skills - I know I'm not a marvellous player, but to someone who can't play a note it may have looked very impressive.

It's the same with sewing and quilting, isn't it?  We are critical of our own work, but when someone who doesn't sew sees a quilt we have made they are gobsmacked.  Blown away sometimes, even.  Does wonders for one's self-confidence, doesn't it?

This weekend is a long weekend for the Queen's Birthday, and I hope she is suitably impressed that her subjects on the far side of the world are having a holiday.  The monarch's birthday has been celebrated in Australia since the arrival of the first white settlers on the east coast in 1788.  Perhaps one day we will decide that we are a mature enough country to celebrate on our own behalf, and not on someone else's.

The following excerpt from my etiquette book shows how such matters stood in 1885.

"In Australia we have no titled or hereditary aristocracy.  The Australia colonies are, however, "Crown Colonies" at the present time, and will probably ere long be "confederated", and when that event occurs the title suggested by Sir Henry Parkes, late Colonial Secretary of N.S. Wales, may serve to bind them before the world still closer to the parent country, Great Britain, namely "The British Confederated States of Australia".  As colonists are constantly, to use an everyday expression, "going home" to England and visiting European countries, it is well to understand something of Regal and noble ranks and titles, and the order of precedence of the Royal family and of the nobility and gentry, etc., etc., etc."

Australia achieved Federation in 1901.  My paternal grandmother who never visited England in her life - indeed, who never left Australia's shores (although my paternal grandfather had migrated from England as a young man, and lived the rest of his life in Australia) used to talk about "home" - meaning England.  She may not have liked it much if she had visited, as England has long had the reputation of looking down its nose at 'Colonials'.

Enjoy your days!

9 comments:

  1. Your top turned out lovely, Jennifer! I've never used a Jalie pattern - I guess I don't sew many clothes. It's interesting that we celebrate the Queen's birthday at different times (we do it on the Monday closest to May 24). I hope you have good weather for your holiday; it's rain and more rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed by your top! I can't begin to imagine how much work that entailed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your description of the quilt blocks!
    Hope your holiday weekend is going well - I share it with the Queen.
    You did well with your top and are brave to sew for yourself. I used to but now prefer the option of being able to put something back on the rack if it doesn't look right on me. I am quite a standard size so I guess that helps.
    Thanks for being such a faithful commenter on my blog I love hearing from you. Hugs, Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top is great.... always nice to have a finish.... enjoy your cutesy poo block and your colonial holiday...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your top. I gave up sewing clothes when I started quilting. I leave it to those that know how to do it better.
    I hate fiddly-diddly piecing. I'd rather appliqué that do that.
    We're well done celebrating Queen Victoria. Thank Heavens. 3 nights of fireworks was more than enough for our cat's tender ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous top and quite an eye-catching print! Good for you ... a finish after all that you have been through ... is wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I'm not so convinced about the cutsie-poo and fiddly-diddly projects...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your top turned out quite lovely and I like the fabric that you chose. Sorry about the fiddly quilt project. I didn't know that you could still buy poly/cotton quilting fabric! I hope that your blocks go together how you want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so behind in reading blogs and my focus isn't all there yet. But I focused on that blouse you made and it is gorgeous. I LOVE the fabric. Sounds like you are back at it and the shoulder is working as it should now? Big Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!