Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

One wandering wombat is finished

With a huge sigh of relief on my part, let me tell you.
There are some spots which could have more stuffing, but it is for a baby after all.....and if it is made too firm those little hands won't be able to grasp and hold it, will they.  It might be more realistic (about as realistic as a blue and green wombat could be) if it had glass eyes, but for safety it has fabric eyes instead.  The pattern had the cutesy-poo twee name of "Wodger" but as I have never ever liked deliberately misspelled words or names that's not going to happen.

So now we go ever upward and onward to the next project which is still to be decided, probably one of the partly done efforts which abound in my sewing room.  While that's happening fabrics will be also gathered together for a quilt for our grandkid who right at this moment is gallivanting in Switzerland with its mum; she has gone there with a band which is performing in the Basel Tattoo, so it will be a well-travelled little person by the time it arrives.

Uke group has started up again after our short holiday break, now we are practising for a couple of upcoming gigs.  Some of us feel that playing together for one hour a week isn't enough, so I suggested getting together more frequently but perhaps waiting until spring before starting.  That was agreed on, so we will see what happens in a couple of months.  Playing music in a group is much more fun than playing alone.

I wonder if our grandkid will grow up to be a uke or guitar player like its grandmama?  Perhaps it might prefer the French horn played by its mother, or its dad's drums, although they can both play other instruments too.

People watching is great fun, we like to sit in the front window of our favourite café and watch the passing parade.  We have seen some amazing sights in the main street lately, and they are not always amazing in a good way.  When I become queen and rule the world some articles of clothing will be forever banned......leggings, for instance......why does it seem to be mostly the over-large or the skinny spindly-legged who think they look good wearing them?

"Visiting costumes.
Visiting costumes, or those worn at a funeral or informal calls, are of richer material than walking suits.  The bonnet is either simple or rich, according to the taste of the wearer.  A jacket of velvet, or shawl, or fur-trimmed mantle are the concomitants of the carriage dress for winter.  In summer all should be bright, cool, agreeable to wear and pleasant to look at."

"Pleasant to look at" - that says quite a lot, doesn't it?  To me, it means not wearing leggings outside the privacy of one's own home or the exercise class at a gym, because leopard-print leggings strained over an ample bum and worn with a short top are not "pleasant to look at".

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. Every year we used to take our kids to The Canadian National Exhibition here in Toronto. One year Dolly Parton was performing at The Grandstand....people watching that day was hysterical.
    Love the wombat and so will the baby

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is quite possibly the cutest wombat i've EVER seen!!! and it is DONE - which makes it even better cuz now you can move onto something that isn't such a pain to make...

    we'll be going to a tatoo in early september (for the resident Celt) - the men in kilts are "pleasant to look at" - ha ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wombat is very cute indeed. I am sure he will be treasured x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guilty as charged...I wear leggings but only with a long long tunic top ...is that Ok do you think?

    Your wombat looks fantastic whatever you decide to call him or her !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the wombat... just perfect for little one
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mis read that the first time. I thought you said most snuffling is required........hehe.
    Yes I know what you mean about the leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that wombat is so dog gone cute I can't stand it. Your grandbaby will love it!! Sounds like a good plan to get together more often and play, I feel like you some things are just more fun in a group. I think your grandbaby will be very musically talented - seems to run in the family!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear about your grandbaby and so sorry to hear about your brother. The tides of life and all that... . Makes one think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable wombat! The grandkid will adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I LIKE it! Can't you just see it being cherished and carried around? Nice fabric choices :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable and how perfectly appropriate.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!