Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

It's a quiet time here at the Chateau

Not much of anything to report, which is why there hasn't been any reporting for a couple of weeks.

Action is starting to happen in the sewing room, isn't that a cause for rejoicing!  My Maritime Beauty top is being prepared for quilting, some designs of sea shells were found on the internet and traced off onto light paper.  These are now pinned on ready to be quilted through, after which the paper will be torn away.....and if the stitching should stray off the line, well, who would ever know?  This method leaves no lines to be washed out so no fear of said lines reappearing in the future.  It might not suit everyone, but it works for me.

Last night another flower basket block was finished, that makes 223 done, only two to go!  Hopefully the count is correct.  Way back when not many had been made I counted up how many were done and wrote the number in my diary, then each year that total was transferred to the new year's diary, but over so many years it is possible a counting mistake was made.  Ah well, we will find out soon, won't we?

Recently while going through some pictures on our computer I came across some taken while on holiday Over At The Coast a couple of years back, so here they are.
 I don't know the name of this little pink flower, but suspect it's an orchid.
 This rather interesting plant is an Aussie native, a grevillea called "Peaches and Cream" as my research found out.  The colours were so bright and luminous, they really glowed.
Ever wondered what the back end of a peacock looks like?  Well, wonder no longer.  We were walking past some birds at a wildlife park when we heard an odd rustling whirring noise, which turned out to be a peacock fanning its feathers to entice a female bird.  It had its back to us so this is the backstage view of a peacock display, sadly without sound so you can't get the full effect.

Earlier this afternoon while pottering in the garden I nearly did myself a mischief, somehow lost my balance and almost fell downhill into a rose bush.  We live on a hill, not the steepest hill in the universe but a hill just the same, and while bending over to pull out a weed I found myself continuing to topple forward.  Fortunately I managed to grab the crepe myrtle rather than the rose bush, but after that fright I decided that was enough excitement for one day and came inside.  The other weeds will have to wait.  Of course I managed to wrench my sore shoulder too, so now it's hurting, which is a bummer.  Perhaps I won't be able to cook dinner tonight, wouldn't that be sad?

Is anyone else irritated by the overuse of the "keep calm and - whatever" phrase these days?  I believe "Keep calm and carry on" dates from England during World War II and that's where it stayed for a long time, but over the past few years it has made its way onto cups (keep calm and drink tea/coffee), fruit (eat a banana), other food (eat chocolate, drink wine) and so on ad nauseum.  Perhaps it's about time the world became agitated instead.

Last Thursday a few of us from the uke group performed a few songs for a local charity lunch, and nice things were said to us and about us.  This coming Sunday is the Major Annual Concert for the music school, so amid all the serious string quartets, orchestras and choirs will be our uke group playing and singing.  I suspect we will be a bit of light relief.  Perhaps even comic relief.......

"Correct use of words.
The correct use of words is indispensable to a good talker who would escape the unfavorable criticism of an educated listener.  There are many words and phrases, used in some cases by persons who have known better, but who have become careless from association with others who make constant use of them."

Does this also apply to the overuse of keeping calm?

Enjoy your days!

10 comments:

  1. Jennifer, you don't need a lot going on to write an entertaining report! I really enjoy reading your blog...and am picturing you toppling down the hill :) (Sorry but it spark a vivid image!) I am anxious to see your Maritime Beauty. Sometimes I stitch on paper as well, but dislike removing the bits that stick under the stitches. Do you have a trick for this? What paper do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Peaches and Cream plant is fabulous - so pretty! The back view of the peacock is quite something.
    I hope your shoulder feels much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jennifer, so sorry you took a tumble. Hope the shoulder is healing and there is no residual damage. I think dinner out would have been entirely acceptable that evening!

    That Peaches and Cream is wonderful..so pretty and interesting lines!

    I have paper to do my own designs for quilting but never remember it till it's already at the quilter...must try something like that with a little table topper I made this past weekend. 40" square would be a perfect experiment for that method!

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers are gorgeous and the back end of the peacock is quite interesting. So sorry about your tumble and I'm hoping the shoulder feels better soon. At least, as you said, you didn't grab the rose bush - ouch. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i like the backside of a peacock better than the frontside - now that i've actually seen the backside (thank you) - especially since that would mean that he was going away from me and not toward, which would be a relief as i am not a peahen - thank goodness ... i would definitely have stopped weeding - but then i use any excuse to stop weeding ... and i guess i like "Keep Calm and Carry On" better than "Panic and Freak Out" - even if i do tend to do the latter more often than not...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope your shoulder is not too wrenched... weeding can be a dangerous past time.... I always called that first flower a 'ground orchid'... which doesn't really make sense to me now but when I was young most of the orchids seemed to grow in the tree branches...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven’t tried that particular method of getting a pattern onto a quilt but its on my list ...do you use freezer paper? There are so many conflicting opinions about what to use when I read about it on the internet .

    Yep- Im a “Keep Calm” dislike to the nth degree. It drives me mad to see that everywhere . Im also not a fan of the moustaches that seem to be cropping up on everything . I have a list and I could go on but I wont.

    Had you been drinking before you were weed pulling? You can tell me ...I wont say anything...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an interesting way to quilt shapes. Must consider that...

    (In answer to your enquiry, my border is currently 3 and a quarter inches, so once the binding is on, three inches. Theoretically.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly have a way with words , great read ! I hope you didn't do much damage to your sore shoulder , that wouldn't be fun . How did your little performance go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely flowers! I don't think I've ever seen the back view of a peacock before and you captured it quite well in your photo. They are interesting birds with their beautiful feathers and raucous calls.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!