Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Off travelling......again

On Thursday morning we will hitch up our caravan, get in the car, and go - first to a folk festival where we will catch up with friends not seen since the last festival at Easter, then to the coast to, as the song says, view the still waters and taste the salt air.

We will see mountains........
 ......beaches.......
 .......and perhaps some greenery, or even orchidery.
Both tops which were being made are finished, the knitting is going great guns - front, back and one sleeve are done, the second sleeve has been started and will be continued whilst we are en route.  My hand-piecing will go along too, as will a book of crossword puzzles and pencil, and my tablet which is loaded with books (our caravan doesn't have television, by choice) and, of course, my ukulele and songbooks.  Many camping parks seem to go in for late afternoon 'happy hour' which is not really our thing, but you never know......there may be a first time.

On Sunday the uke group played at the local monthly market on the main drag, and people even gave us money!  We had decided that, should anyone be so generous, we would donate to a local Worthy Cause (of which there seem to be many) so this will go to an organisation which helps local people with expenses for travel and accommodation should they need to go out of town for cancer treatment.  The market organisers have invited us to be regulars so next month our takings will be donated to a local group who raise funds for nurses to help breast cancer patients, as one of our members had treatment last year.

Speaking of which, pink October is well under way with fund-raising morning and afternoon teas and lunches, and merchandise being sold......and it's all very pink.  I don't like pink.  I'm happy to donate my money and my time, but I don't want pink stuff.  One is encouraged - even compelled - to dress head to toe in pink for these events so, as there is nothing pink in my wardrobe at all, I don't go.  If you saw me in pink you would understand why I never wear it; it's not a pretty sight.  While I know breast cancer research is an important cause, I still won't wear pink.

When one has auburn hair, freckles, pale skin and dark brown eyes, one does not wear pink.  Even though my hair is greying, the rest of my colouring hasn't changed - and pink does not suit my skin.  Now lime green, on the other hand.......indeed any shade of green, or peacock, or teal, or turquoise.......is a totally different thing.

"Discretion in forming acquaintances.
While an acquaintance formed in a railway carriage or on a steamboat continues only during the trip, discretion should be used in making acquaintances.  Ladies may, as has been stated, accept small courtesies and favors from strangers, but must check at once any attempt at familiarity.  On the other hand, no man who pretends to be a gentleman will attempt any familiarity.  The practice of some young girls just entering into womanhood, of flirting with any young man they may chance to meet, either in a railway carriage or on a steamboat, indicates low breeding in the extreme.  If, however, the journey is long, and especially if it be on a steamboat, a certain sociability may be allowed, and a married lady or a lady of middle age may use her privileges to make the journey an enjoyable one, for fellow-passengers should always be sociable to one another."

This sage advice probably doesn't apply to me, as my husband and I will be travelling together......and none of our journey will involve a railway carriage or steamboat, but we will still be sociable to each other.

Enjoy your days!

9 comments:

  1. That's good then.
    Wishing you a happy safe journey and relaxing pleasant time.
    Don't forget your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful trip and fabulous weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon Voyage, my friend. Enjoy your travels and take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we saw a few flakes of snow, yesterday, I will look forward to seeing your lovely summery pictures. Take lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your break , it sounds like you have a lot of grand plans . I will be at work slaving away while you’re off having fun !

    How wonderful that you got donations for your uke playing and what a worthy cause to donate the money to.

    I dont wear orange, green or yellow. Pink however is a colour that I can do ! Isn’t it funny that what doesn’t suit some of us is a favourite for others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful time... relaxing
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi my friend, I hope you are having a wonderful trip and safe travels. Enjoy your time away. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LURVE pink! and purple and orange and green and blue ... but i look like i have liver disease when i try to wear yellow, so i understand why pink wouldn't be a favorite of yours ... hope you are having a wonderful (and safe) journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you'll have a wonderful, relaxing time!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!