Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

I won I won I won!

Recently there has been a Canadian Blog Hop, and because we have family and many friends in Canada I was reading the blogs......and there were giveaways, and the fabrics were very luscious, so I entered my name on one......

.......and I won!

Thank you to Linda at Stitch Lines, and to Sew Sisters Quilt Shop in Toronto, for my prize.

It's a very small world these days because Linda knows Karen, and I know Karen too......and now I have 'met' Linda, although we are on the far side of the known universe from each other.

Several years ago I worked for a boss who was very suspicious of the internet and anything to do with it   He couldn't believe that I would meet up (and even stay!) with people sight unseen, because we had made contact online.  That was 15 years ago, wonder if he has changed his mind since then?  Kevin and I have met some wonderful people over the years that we would never have met otherwise thanks to the interwebz, and it enables us to keep in touch with our sons who both live far away from us.

Linda even said she would send me some cold air from Canada, isn't she a wonderful person?  It has been needed here because last Saturday was 41.7 deg C (which is 107 deg if you are thinking in old money) with a hot dry wind, and it wasn't at all nice.  Fortunately the uke gig was in an air-conditioned room, we were very thankful - and so were our ukes.  Stringed instruments don't like extreme heat, they get unhappy and go out of tune.

A couple of days ago the second large block for the flower basket quilt was finished.  First large block.......
 .......second large block, 23 to go.  Blocks are 18in finished and will be set alternately.
The blocks will be quilted as I go (can't say quilt as you go, because you aren't doing it - I am) before being joined but I haven't yet decided if it will be by hand or machine.  Probably machine.  I would like to see it finished while I am still on this earth.  Next Easter will be nine years since it was started; it was never intended to be a quick finish, just a project to pick up from time to time and take away on holidays.

Last week was one year since my shoulder operation and I am pleased to report that it is still attached to the rest of me.  It doesn't even hurt now, thank goodness, just the occasional twinge of discomfort on certain activities such as hair washing.

Because of the heat, work on Cricket/ette's quilt had slowed but as today is milder the outer borders have now been cut, and the inner borders are pinned to be joined in one long strip prior to being cut to length.  Our son rang earlier today, they had just been to the baby doctor for a check-up (I can't spell obstetrician) and all is proceeding well.  He asked me what his birth weight was, he was 6lbs 12 ozs - his wife said she was over 7lbs at birth; they have been told the baby isn't too huge but has a big head.  I sent her my sympathy.

"Where gentlemen may keep their hats on.
At garden parties and at all assemblies held in the open air, gentlemen keep their hats on their heads.  If draughts of cold air, or other causes, make it necessary for them to retain their hats on their heads, when in the presence of ladies within doors, they explain the necessity and ask permission of the ladies whom they accompany."

Any sensible person, male or female, wears a hat in summer here.  I have five summer hats so can make a choice based on what else I am wearing before setting foot outside........and believe me, I do.

Enjoy your days!

14 comments:

  1. Great post, Jennifer, delivered with your usual good dose of humour. When is the baby due? I've lost track.
    Today we are going to have ice pellets, followed by 25 cm of snow here in Nova Scotia. I'll think of you as I look at that thermometer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are into hats here, this time of the year. Ours are wooly, wild, and warm.
    I make all the babies in my world a warm hat to wear home from the hospital.
    Congratulations on your big win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Jennifer. Enjoy the fabric.
    I put the fan on to send down the cold air, but apparently the breeze slowed down somewhere in the southern USA. Sorry about that. Your warm air is making it's way north...............for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, of course, you will show us your lovely prize when it arrives, right? I love entering giveaways...rarely do I win but sometimes it's nice to get an email with lovely winning news.

    Try to stay cool...or at least not overheated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Congrats on your win!! I love your baskets and I am truly interested in hearing about the quilt as you go process, sounds like it would be easier than tackling a large quilt. Sorry the heat is one before it's officially summer. It's foggy here today, so I'm trying to blow the cool, grey, fog your way. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the win Jennifer. That’s great news. What a thrill.


    Is there really anyone left that doesn’t use the internet? My life would change so much if I didn’t have it. I’d actually have to go to the bank, manually pay my bills and physically get myself to shops to buy my groceries, gifts and clothes !

    Your baskets are beautiful.

    I cant believe its a year since your operation already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winning a good fabric prize is always great... well done... I do love your blocks of baskets... it will be amazing all together....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Confratulations on the lovely prize!

    I think humans and animals are a lot like stringed instruments...they become unhappy in extreme heat and "Go out of tune."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your great win...blow some of that gifted cool air up here too pleeeaaassse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooo!!! you will make something lovely with those cool batiks!

    so fun to hear news about the baby!!! how big were you when you were born? i was over eight pounds, with a big head - and my mother never did forgive me...

    last time i checked (before the sun went down) it was a balmy 19 degrees with a windchill of "feels like 7" ... i'd love to swap about 50 (F) degrees with you ... i don't go anywhere without my hoodie - it has become my very best friend...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks look lovely.

    I possess only one hat, which I would wear if it was really cold, which it never is. I think I've worn it once, three years ago. Otherwise I just keep out of the sun in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meeting you and Kevin has been a joy to DH and I and we look forward to hosting again when you two come for a visit in fall 2015. We will tell the deer to make more of an appearance while you are here!

    Our friendship is due to the internet! What a wonderful invention!

    I sure whish we could send you some of our cool air. Tonight is -9C and probably colder with the wind chill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your win!! The internet is a great way to meet people, especially if they are nice quilters ;-) Wow, that's hot and I'm sure that a hat would be a welcome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just let me know when you want to receive that box full of cold air.. I'm still willing to send it!! lol Right now I could even send a box full of snow as well...
    I have to tell you a funny story abut meeting Karen. We live about 2.5 hours apart. She was one of the very first bloggers I "connected" with. She very kindly helped me out a few times, answering questions, when I was learning all the ins and outs of blogging. So the next time I was heading her way, I emailed and asked if we could meet for lunch. She agreed and picked a restaurant near the highway (I was passing by on my way to Halifax.) At breakfast that morning she was telling her two young sons that she was excited to meet a new blogger friend for lunch. Her younger boy, (then about 12 maybe?) said, with great concern, "Mommy, does Daddy know? Don't you know it's dangerous to meet people you don't know, from the Internet?" lol She had obviously done a good job of teaching him about "stranger danger" and being wary of "online friendships"...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!