Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Our grandkid has arrived!

This morning our son rang to tell us that Euan Patrick arrived in the world today at stupid early o'clock, three weeks early.....Cricket has a name!  Everyone is well, and to judge by a photo online he is a cute little guy, nicely filled out despite being early.  His hand, wrist and face (all we can see) certainly don't look scrawny or undercooked.  His names are a nod to the Scots and Irish in his ancestry.

A lovely way to wind down the year.

We will be driving to Canberra a few days after Christmas to meet him.  We had Plans in place to arrive the day before the due date, but of course that date is now gone out the window and a New Plan thought out.  Our Christmas lunch at a local restaurant had been booked and paid for, and it is a lot of money to throw away........so we will enjoy that, and let young Euan and his parents settle in before we descend on their town with flags flying and banners waving..

His quilt is not yet layered and quilted but that will get done in time for our subsequent visit at Easter.

The other day at sewing guild advice was asked for, received and taken, and a new skirt was cut out - what do you think of this fabric, isn't it gorgeous?
 It was a smidgeon narrow for the flared skirt planned from this pattern, but the selvedge will be hidden inside the side seam and hem so no one will ever see it.
It's been in my stash for a couple of years, and this will be the eighth time I have used this pattern so it will be a quick make - a simple flared skirt with a hip yoke, just right for such a fancy print.  The fabric is a cotton blend so will be cool and comfortable in our hot summers; in my sumptuous wardrobe are a red top, and two orange tops, and a yellow top, all of which will go well with this skirt.  Life is too short to be dull, yes?

Uke group has finished for the year but we still have a performance at the markets in the main street on Sunday.  We also have two performances at the big country music festival next month so there will be plenty of music to keep me happy, and I intend to take my uke to Canberra so I can practice.

At this time of year there's much reason to turn the TV on, is there?  Repeats (which, admittedly, are only repeats if you have seen already them), bad reality shows which are completely unreal, and ghastly programs made in hospital emergency rooms - why would anyone want to be the focus of that?  There you are lying in an uncomfortable bed surrounded by tubes going in and out of various orifices and machines making peculiar noises, and wearing the oh-so-beautiful backless hospital gown......no, thank you.  Kevin has instructions that, should I ever be in that situation, he is to send the cameras away forthwith and immediately, if not sooner.  I have promised to do the same for him.  Sometimes one sees a politician grinning his/her way through a hospital visit, and one sympathises with the poor patients on show.

Perhaps they are not really patients, just actors hired for the occasion?  If I were in hospital wearing a nightie and a politician, his/her entourage and a camera crew came near me, I would throw a bedpan at them.......preferably one which hadn't been emptied.......and scream.  Loudly.

"Remember that children are men and women in miniature, and though they should be allowed to act as children, still our dealings with them should be manly and not morose.  Remember also that every word, tone and gesture, nay, even your dress, makes an impression."

This means, hopefully, that young Euan will regard his Grandmama Jennifer as a bright cheerful person who likes flowers, if my new skirt is any indication.

Enjoy your days!

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you all! Wonderful news. I love his name. Glkad all are well. Your skirt fabric is so lovely. Yes nothing on the idiot box. I usually reacquaint myself with my fav DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the arrival of Eaun... best wishes to all... your skirt will be lovely in that fabric...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - well done. Lovely Christmas present. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Jennifer. I do love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best Christmas gift of all! Congratulations to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jennifer, congratulations to everyone on Euan's arrival. What a lovely name. I'm sure he will be entranced by his Grandmama Jennifer whether she wears bright flowers or feedsacks! He is so lucky to have you! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on Euan, I bet he is so adorable. I can't wait to see pictures of him,. In the meantime that fabric is gorgeous and just says summer, Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Early doesn't matter. Safe arrival and good health do. Grandma you should be very very happy. Congratulations to the new parents.
    How lovely that you will meet the wee man very soon. Safe travels and happy times are my wish for you. Hugs from Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the birth of your grandson , what welcoming news to receive at this time of year . I am sure you are anxious for that first cuddle . Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new grandson!! What a wonderful Christmas gift! Dec. 19th is a good day for a birthday- it was my mother's. She would have been 98 yesterday!! You will look dashing in your new skirt when you go to meet him! He will see he has a hip Grammie!
    I must say, I love that hockey-playing Canadian beaver in your header!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Due dates are merely an estimate, babies come in their own time. I guess he was eager to greet everyone.
    Perhaps he just wanted a little alone time with his parents before he met the rest of the world.
    Enjoy your Christmas, and then your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Grandmama - what a fabulous early Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh happy day! you will LOVE being a Grandmama cuz grandbabies are the very best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, drat, I know I read this post when he arrived but obviously vanished before commenting...! Congratulations Granma and Whatsisname !

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!