Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Waiting for the pitter patter

Not of tiny feet, but of raindrops - today's forecast is for showers later today, and for rain tomorrow.  Fingers crossed that it happens.  So far this month we have not had one drop of rain so there is a lot of catching up to be done.

Some of the world is buried under tons of snow right now, we'll send you some of our sun and heat if you like......we have more than enough to spare!

However it appears that summer is losing its grip because we are noticing changes in some of the trees hereabouts; leaves are losing their bright green colour and looking faded, while some are turning yellow and bronze already.  Our neighbour said it's because of the ongoing drought, but I like to think it's because summer is on the way out.

Just looking at these photos makes me feel cooler.
 Canada in autumn is beautiful.
We don't get the same glorious colours, but summer's green still makes way for light gold, red and bronze.....there is more colour here in the change of seasons than when we lived in the Big Smoke.

Last week the medical centre rang to tell me that I don't need to worry, the 'thing' on my forehead is a solar keratosis not deadly skin cancer, so my face won't fall off.  It's good that I don't need to panic......wouldn't want to waste a good panic, would we?

Also last week I managed to scald my stomach when my hand slipped on the kettle handle while pouring boiling water into the kitchen sink, and water splashed onto the edge of the sink and onto me.  Oh dear, it did hurt.  I reckon one of the most painful ways to be injured is by burning or scalding.  Way back when I was a little tacker I pulled a pan of boiling milk off the stove and onto me.  The scars are there to this day, inside my right arm and elbow and on the outside of my right breast.  I'm really glad I have no memory of it, because it must have been horrendously painful.

Work is continuing on Euan's quilt, I tried to get a picture but the bright colours make it hard to photograph indoors - every block looks very orange, even if there is no orange in it.  So take my word for it, progress is continuing and eventually it will be finished.

Then a Big Decision will need to be made, about which of many projects to work on next.

Recently we went for a Nice Sunday Drive on a Friday to Nundle to order a shade for the light in our bedroom.  The current shade was in place when we moved in, and it's not lovely.  We will be glad to get rid of it, and replace it with a glass shade from these glass artists, whose work is gorgeous.

We've been in this house now for nearly five years, and are still finding things we would like to change.  Last year we had the fussy frilly curtains, valances and pink blinds taken away from the kitchen and the living area next to it;  they were replaced by cream blinds and no curtains, so much neater and less cluttered.

"A douche or hip bath may be taken every morning, with the temperature of the water suited to the endurance of the individual.  In summer a sponge bath may be taken upon retiring.  Once a week a warm bath, at from ninety to one hundred degrees, may be taken, with plenty of soap, in order to thoroughly cleanse the pores of the skin.  Rough towels should be vigorously used after these baths, not only to remove the impurities of the skin but for the beneficial friction which will send a glow over the whole body.  The hair glove or fleshbrush may be used to advantage in the bath before the towel is applied."

It seems funny to us these days that people once needed to be reminded to bathe daily, doesn't it?  The thinking, so I have read, was that one bathed once a week whether one needed it or not.....or perhaps it was once a month.  Could even have been once a year......now there's a scary thought.....

Enjoy your days!

9 comments:

  1. Yes, some of us are up to our necks (literally!) in snow! I checked out the Volcannia Art glass link - beautiful work.
    Try and stay out of hot water for a bit, Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would like rain. we would like rain. It has never not rained eventually....it,s just how long do we have to wait?

    I think I'll stick to my shower it ,seems a much cleaner option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rain has arrived here and quite windy... we are not in marcia's line but I think we will get the edge of it... I'm glad of the wetness....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get some much needed rain. Our mountains are bare of the snow we need so I have a feeling we'll have a drought filled summer. If only we could get some of all that snow on the east coast. I've heard that lavender oil is good for burns and soothing as well. So glad "your face won't fall off", and that the spot was nothing to worry about. Thankfully so as the needles in the face would not be fun to get again, right. Love the glass words page link - beautiful stuff to say the least. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes! i burned my belly with the iron a couple of years ago (i know, i know - i should have taken off the shirt before i tried to iron it - ha ha ha!) and it hurt like a bee sting, so i can imagine how much boiling water must have felt - poor sweet baby!

    so happy to hear that we are not the only ones who go for Sunday drives on other days of the week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That burn sounds nasty.
      I hope the rain comes for you. Much better than snow because you don't have to shovel.

      Delete
  6. What wonderful, scenic photos! Oh, burns hurt, and they can hurt for some time. Hmmm, bathing once a month or year? Yikes. That must have made for smelly gatherings at church or ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'll take some of your heat! We ended up with over 9 inches of snow earlier this week, temps in the single digits, and an ice storm last night. I'm so done with winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, we're clawing the summer back here... gradually.

    Congratulations on Euan's arrival; a good Scottish name.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!