Colours of the ocean, from a tropical lagoon to a stormy sea! Thank you, Linda, for letting me join in, and thank you to Sew Sisters for such beautiful fabrics and for sending a second parcel when the first one failed to arrive.
The cunning plan is to put these with more blue batik fabrics from my stash and to add touches of yellow/gold for contrast, what do you reckon?
Only one block on Euan's quilt to be quilted, then the border, and then it can be labelled and bound. It might just be finished in time.......machine quilting is hard on one's neck and shoulders, so after every block I take a break to stand up, stretch, walk around, have coffee or bring in the washing, all of which slows down the quilting but makes for a happier body. Right now it's coffee o'clock.
If you were here with me now, enjoying coffee, you could also listen to my new CD purchased recently in the Big Smoke, "Pilgrimage to Montserrat" by Australian early music group The Renaissance Players. Musical from the middle ages really speaks to me, goodness knows why - it's not as though I can remember hearing it when it was new! We do have shops here where CDs can be purchased but they are not all my taste, so I content myself with online ordering and the occasional visit to a Larger Smoke when I can treat myself to some new old music.
Lately we are seeing signs that summer is on the way out, today is beautifully mild, but looking ahead at the forecast for later in the week hot weather is to return - with a vengeance! Hopefully, though, not too hot and not for too long. We've even had a little more rain, so gardens are smiling.
This quote from my 1885 book is for my friends in colder climes.
"Putting away furs for the summer.
When you are ready to put away furs and woollens, and want to guard against the depredations of moths, pack them securely in paper flour sacks and tie them up well. This is better than camphor or tobacco or snuff scattered among them in chests and drawers. Before putting your muffs away for the summer, twirl them by the cords at the ends, so that every hair will straighten. Put them in their boxes and paste a strip of paper where the lid fits on."
I hope that advice is helpful......are muffs still used anywhere?
Now I am going back to the sewing room to quilt, and to fondle my new fabric again.
Enjoy your days!
I think the modern equivalent of a muff is a pair of texting mittens. Or, as I call mine, floppy mittens, because the tops flip back so my fingers ate free.
ReplyDeletethose are very pretty new fabrics to play with.... lovely they sent a replacement... quilting is hard on the shoulders... I treat myself to a back and shoulder massage every now and then ....
ReplyDeleteHugz
Beautiful fabrics, Jennifer! I adore batiks and those made me start to drool on the keyboard! Enjoy your lovely weather...I think our snow is probably a thing of the past now...lovely warming trend but rain for the last 3 days...flooding in some areas, fortunately not ours.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, I'm so glad the batiks have finally arrived! They look luscious! Have fun with them, I'm sure you'll create something wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThose fabrics are beautiful. Any plans for them or are you just going to have to think on it awhile? I can't wait to see Euan's quilt all finished, you've been a busy Grandma! Hugs.
ReplyDeleteThose materials are lovely. I'm sure you're looking forward to seeing your son again.
ReplyDeleteI haven't used a muff since a child. Best invention ever ... sure kept my hands warm. Looking forward to seeing Euan's quilt!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful fabrics! Congrats on your win :-) It's funny thinking back on using a muff. I had one to wear with my church coat when I was a little girl. Eons ago.
ReplyDeletei have a picture of my niece (who is now in here 30's) wearing a white fur muff and hat when she was a little girl - but i think they were photography studio props ... my granddaughters would rather have their hands freeze than wear the gloves and mittens that i hand them on cold mornings - they think being warm isn't cool...
ReplyDeletei am all for breaks whilst quilting/piecing/crocheting/embroidering - my knees and hips get grouchy when i sit still for too long ... speaking of which - it is coffee o'clock here, too!
i didn't get the little message that usually shows up after i hit the publish button, so i am resending this
Gosh, bit late to comment but as a bright young thing (ha) in London at the latter end of the swinging sixties, I had a muff and black cravat sort of thing in black fur....not sure if any animals gave up their lives for it, suspect not, but goodness, I loved it!
ReplyDelete