Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

In which we find a big spiky bum

The neighbourhood echidna has been visiting our front garden lately.
 Now you see it......
 .......and now you don't.
We don't know if it's a boy or a girl echidna, and weren't going to look either.  We're not silly.  When it thought that I and the camera had gone it would turn round, poke out its snout into the garden and burrow for ants, but as soon as I or the camera hove into sight again it flipped around and buried its head - so I'm very sorry, but the only shots I could get are of its aforementioned big spiky bum.

It's all go go go up here on the hill, folks.

Did you all have a nice Mother's Day weekend?  The day before, Saturday was my annual 29th birthday so we went for a drive to Armidale, an hour or so north, to a cat show.  Lots of lovely kitties, we could have brought several home with us......we told Bianca that if she doesn't behave, we will trade her in on a new model.  That night we also went out to dinner at a - actually, the - local French restaurant and had a wonderful meal; engraved on the portals of this house (and just about any other house I have lived in) are the words "The Mother Does Not Cook On Her Birthday".  Kevin gave me an unexpected birthday present, a beautiful brooch in a Celtic design of entwined birds made by a silversmith we know.  I have a few other pieces of his work......earrings, a pendant......and wear them often.

So now I am a year older.  I don't like getting older.  Don't give me that guff about it being better than the alternative either.  And don't say tritely "it's only a number" because the number is getting larger every year.  Scary large.  I am not liking the stuff that goes along with getting older such as health problems, and losing any claim I may once have had to a nice slender figure, and my once-gorgeous auburn hair going grey and colourless.

Sigh.

The green top has been started, so let's hope it fits!  The next quilting project will be to finish a charity quilt, and the next sewing project will be some new pyjamas from fabric in my stash.  A quilt show is held annually here in spring, and I have it in mind to finish a couple of projects for this year's.  The jumper (sweater) which was being knitted is all done, and is now being sewn together.

None of which will get done if I sit here on the computer, will it?

Tonight we will be attending a performance by the local Musical Society of "Company", a musical we haven't seen before and of which we don't know the plot, but if it up to the usual high standard of the local society - and it has a very high standard - we will enjoy it.  On another musical note (hah) some of us in the uke group played last Thursday for a local women's organisation, and the feedback was positive, they loved us and will probably ask us back.

"Deference to elderly people.
A young lady should show the same deference to an elderly lady that a gentleman does to a lady.  It may also be said that a young man should show proper deference to elderly gentlemen."

We can always hope, can't we?

Enjoy your days!

11 comments:

  1. I think of my self like fine wine or a good fitting pair of jeans. I only improve with age. I am sure the same is true for you.
    I like the echidna. I wish something would come and eat the ants in my garden! The bunnies just eat the new plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday despite the fact that the number is increasing. I don't have any comments about it that will make you feel better. I can only say that aging is not for the faint of heart. Sounds like you are a busy girl, sewing away at many projects. I have a baby quilt to do then I plan to tackle a rather large quilt for our bed. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously you have a very camera shy Echidna there ...

    Happy Annual 29th Birthday. You don’t look a day over 25. It sounds like you had a lovely day . I’m not all that keen on getting older myself for all the reasons you mention. I didn’t appreciate my youth when I had it !

    Good Luck with the green top. Don’t forget to come back and show us the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That echidna looks like he could crawl right into that Butchart Garden photo at the top of your post! I don't think I would like to find him in my yard.
    Sorry I missed your birthday, it sounds like you had a grand celebration. I'll sing now, a little late but very sincere. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love to watch an Echidna rootling around... snuffle snuffle, now I feel really miserable about being overweight and colourlessly grey! haha...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off a Happy Belated Birthday to you and guess what I am getting older too so you are in good company lol ! Well I have never even heard of that little critter but he or she is very shy and looks a bit like a porcupine from what I can see . Very interesting post , I love how you write .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of your birthday gift. Very cute Echidna. ..aging is not for the faint hearted Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. grrrr ... i hate it when my comments get eaten!!!

    now what was i saying?!? i think that i was telling you the story of my neighbor almost running into me when he was backing out of his driveway - according to him, the only thing that saved me was my "white hair sparkling in the sun" so i guess colorless can be better than dark brown...

    it sounds like you have been having fun and enjoying Life - and i, for one, am happy that you are sticking around for Larger Numbers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 29th birthday to you!! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. And you're right, some times getting older just stinks. My knee tells me that in the morning when I get up. Sigh. But life rolls on, doesn't it?
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! And yes, getting old is not a good idea. Tell me when you've found the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like an interesting creature... are they destructive in the garden, or just looking for ants? I have lots of ants here I'd LOVE to get rid of...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!