This has taken some of the pleasure out of our holiday, let me tell you. We aren't fabulously wealthy and our home is our greatest asset, so we would like it to still be here when we return. Added to that is the expense of Bianca's being boarded and garden maintenance (all of which would have been done by our sitter for free) and our holiday has just become a little more expensive. Yesterday we were told about a local woman who house sits, we contacted her and she told us that she charges $35 a day - that's nearly three times what it will cost for Bianca's holiday! Needless to say, we declined.
Is it any wonder I am feeling somewhat stressed?
Perhaps I should just take some of those amazing tablets the doctor prescribed for the flight, and just sleep away the time until we leave......they work really well, as I found out earlier in the week......
On a much happier note, last week my new jumper was finished.
In real life it's a little less blue and a little more purple than this. Yarn is 100% alpaca from Bendigo Woollen Mills, bought many many years ago on our so far one-and-only trip to Bendigo, and is equivalent to Aussie 8 ply or DK. Pattern is from an old Patons Classics book, a raglan sleeved jumper with a diagonal rib stitch on the bottom, neckband and cuffs instead of the plain K1 P1 rib as in the pattern. Alpaca is reputed to be very warm, so that should keep me cosy should it be cold in Canada.
Only 16 days to go........it's been so busy lately that my ukes and guitar have barely been touched.....only one more lesson and the current term will be done, I won't be back until a few weeks before the end of the lesson year.
Recently we went to the movies to see a documentary, "The Women He's Undressed" - sounds quite salacious, doesn't it? - but it wasn't. It was about a Hollywood costume designer whose career spanned over three decades, Orry-Kelly, and who was born in the small Aussie seaside town of Kiama, something not widely known until recently. Non-movie buffs would enjoy it, and anyone interested in sewing, costume design, or history of fashion will find it fascinating. Apparently dressing Bette Davis' bosom was quite difficult.....poor Bette!
This morning our local historical society held its Spring Fair, and a lovely early spring day it was too. Lady members were dressed in long black skirts and old-fashioned white blouses, topped with white aprons......all quite Edwardian. I was selling ice creams for a couple of hours, they were very popular! Came home with a few books, one of which may accompany me on the plane. I have a tablet with a Kindle app for reading but I'm a quick reader and would read so much that the battery would die long before the flight ended, so I thought a paper book (actually, two books in one) may be a better choice.
"A home.
After marriage one of the first requirements for happiness is a home. It will best be found in a house or even a cottage apart from the immediate association of relatives or friends, acquaintances or strangers, and here husband and wife may begin in reality that new life of which they have had fond dreams, and upon their own actions must depend their future welfare."
Home is a very important place for any of us, and we hope ours is still standing when we return.
Enjoy your days!
So sorry to hear of your troubles, Jennifer. We find when we plan anything big, there is always some sort of complication which arises.You are lucky Bianca is accepting of boarding; that would not work for our neurotic Polly at all.
ReplyDeleteYour sweater is beautiful - love the ribbing, and nothing easier to wear than a raglan sleeve. I expect you will get lots of use from it when you get here!
That sweater will be cozy on the plane, too. I find airplanes chilly, especially when I am tired.
ReplyDeleteWell, that was quite rude of her....I should hope she feels incredibly guilty at what she's done...but knowing the young people of today, I suppose she doesn't...so sorry to hear about this glitch in your plans. Have a safe trip and and a wonderful holiday regardless of this. Hugs from America!
ReplyDeletejust when you think that everything is ready to go, you find out that it isn't - grrrr!!! it WILL all work out, but it is so frustrating to have to take care of things TWICE!
ReplyDeletelove the ribbing on your pretty new sweater!
remember - deep breaths, Jennifer...
Well darn that house sitter should have told you 6 weeks ago about this. Sounds like she wouldn't have told you at all, just not shown up. So rude! Your new jumper is gorgeous and will keep you cozy for the Canadian fall weather. I'm glad you have thing worked out for Bianca and the yard, etc. Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteI can feel your frustration. Breathe deeply. I don't think she would have done a good job any way. Love the blue of the jersey.
ReplyDelete