The big news here is - the pink walls seen in this picture are finally going. (That's not a real orchid you know, it's a gen-u-ine imitation) It will be a little while yet until they are gone, but the process has started. There is something like 4,000 metres of pink and blue floral wallpaper cornice border around the walls of the entrance hall, kitchen, large family room and hallway leading to the bedrooms......all right, perhaps 4,000 metres is an exaggeration but there is still an awful lot, awful being the word, it's probably quite all right if you like pink, which I don't......and all walls of the entrance hall plus two 'feature' walls in the family room are also painted pink from floor to floral border. For six years - yes indeed folks, it's six years last month since we moved here - I have been looking at those pink walls and wishing them gone. Kevin has started scraping off the border first, a tedious job but one recommended by the nice young bloke at a local paint shop who said painting over the border would not be a Good Idea. (I also suggested it but I'm not a paint shop bloke, so what do I know?) It's a lot of painting to do so getting it done will be like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.....or in this case, one wall at a time.
A teaser of my table runner. These are more my colour choices than pink is.
The wadding has been purchased, and once a couple of small obligations are out of the way it will be next. Every time we use it we will be reminded us of fall in Ontario.The background fabric was purchased locally and compliments the autumn prints well, I think.
Autumn colours around town are looking good now that colder weather has arrived. While our autumn/winter season is nothing like that experienced in some parts of the world, it's cool enough for us......and for local plants too, it seems.
You will be pleased to hear that the uke hasn't been so neglected this week, and the uke is hopefully happy about that too! All together now, Stars shining bright above you, night breezes seem to whisper I love you......
Column inches have been written here lately about the current habit of people calling each other "guys". I don't like being addressed as "guy"; I know it has crept into the language, and while I accept that change is happening around me all the time, I don't have to like those changes. For instance, when Kevin and I enter a shop I don't like the sales person approaching us saying "Hi, guys". I'm old. It's not my word. One meaning of "guy" dating from the 1830s is a grotesquely or strangely dressed person, and it is used thus in "The Mikado" written in 1884-5 - "And the lady from the provinces who dresses like a guy, who doesn't think she dances but would rather like to try".
Perhaps they aren't greeting us at all, but are passing comment on how we are dressed?
Oh dear......that makes it even worse.
"Good manners are only acquired by education and observation, followed up by habitual practice at home and in society, and good manners reveal to us the lady and the gentleman. He who does not possess them, though he bear the highest title of nobility, cannot expect to be called a gentleman; nor can a woman, without good manners, aspire to be considered a lady by ladies.
Just remember those words when you are next in the company of other ladies.
Enjoy your days!

Your table runner does indeed invoke the feeling of autumn; the maple leaf blocks are a perfect reminder of your (many!)trips to Canada.
ReplyDeleteI don't envy you and Kevin the task of stripping that wallpaper - been there, done that. I've banned wallpaper from the house for that reason, as beautiful as some of the designs are. I cringe when I see designers on TV come in to redo a house and use wallpaper!!
My house had wallpaper on nearly every wall, when we moved in. It took years to strip it all off. Some rooms had multiple layers. The backs of the cupboards still have evidence of the previous owners love of wall paper.
ReplyDeleteYour table runner is looking very good. How big are those blocks?
Enjoy your holiday weekend.
I'm not at all fond of wallpaper...in fact I really dislike it (am trying not to use the word Hate). Thank goodness the trend is out of fashion for now..And I'm also not a fan of pink...I'm rooting for you...what color are you thinking for the walls once they are ready for their new coverings?
ReplyDeleteWhat colour are you going to paint up in the house. We need to do ours too sometime, I wonder if we will be here 6 years before we do. Our last house was pink like yours before I painted that. also pink carpets, pink tiles pink every bloody thing! haha...
ReplyDeleteHugz
i gotta admit, i do say "guys" more than i oughta - and i say "y'all", too ... and "all y'all" ... and "my bad" ... i am a treasure trove of lazy language ... i do not, however, currently have any walls that are painted pink, so we can still be friends, right?!?
ReplyDeleteGood for you finally getting rid of the pink walls. I admire your strength to endure them for 6 years and wall paper too. I say that and yet I've endured paneling in our older home for over 30 years and truly I keep thinking about doing something, but have yet to get a bright idea, or because of doctors and cancer get the time needed to do anything. I love your quilt and the colors. I never thought of how often people say Hi Guys, but they do say it a lot. I like the southern greeting of Hi Y'all. Works for me better than guys and is inclusive to everyone. Good luck with painting and getting that wallpaper off. Hugs!
ReplyDelete