Last weekend I arranged two songs into a medley for the uke group - a couple of oldies, "Ain't she sweet" and "Five foot two, eyes of blue". Ukuleles were very popular in the 1920s and 30s and those songs date from that era; they are both fun to play and sing, and I felt they needed to go together. I also found out that there are many other arrangements of those two songs on the internet so my idea isn't completely original, but most of those arrangements have one song followed by the other while mine takes elements of both songs and weaves them together. Our teacher Young Michael thinks it's a very good arrangement (he actually said "great") and the other members liked it, so it will go into our repertoire.
Our musical son would no doubt turn up his nose at my modest achievement because he has done a lot of arranging, but then he had something I didn't - a proper musical education. Because I'm mostly self-taught I am just so pleased to have attempted it and succeeded.
The second new skill, knitting with beads, is finally mastered. I am making a Dragonfly Wings scarf (look it up if you are on Ravelry) and bought the beads ages ago. There are over 270 stitches to the row now - there will be over 300 by the time it's complete - so a beaded row isn't quite speedy yet, but hopefully that will come.
We have a couple of uke gigs coming up and Young Michael wants us to play my arrangement - in public! in front of an audience! - but I won't be knitting with beads on stage, no matter how proficient I become.
Some Aussie native flowers to brighten up your day.
I love waratahs - they are our state flower. Sadly they won't grow here, the soil is wrong.
Waratahs growing wild in the bush are a lovely sight, I managed to get some in this photo. Just.
I don't miss living in the Big Smoke, but I do miss being just an hour or so away from places like Mount Tomah botanic gardens where these pics were taken.
The painting is continuing, machine quilting on the maple leaf runner likewise - I had no idea what to quilt, but have decided on some maple leaves. Once they are done they will be linked by swirls and squiggles and loops, hopefully the quilting doesn't look too disjointed. Ah well......it won't ever be entered in a competition, so that's all right.
I have been trying to change my blog background for some time, but Blogger seems to have other ideas. Anyone else having similar problems?
"Value of pleasing manners.
The man who succeeds in any calling in life is almost invariably he who has shown a willingness to please and be pleased, who has responded heartily to the advances of others, through nature and habit, while his rival has sniffed and frowned and snubbed away every helping hand."
As I read through my 1886 book of manners and etiquette I wish that many modern people would take note of its suggestions. When did courtesy go out of style, I wonder?
Enjoy your days!
I am in love with beads in a knitted shawl. I have done several. Sadly, each time you add one bead, you need to stop, pick up the bead, place it on the stitch and continue. You can buy a hook that holds more beads, but I don't think that speeds things up a lot. Just enjoy the process and have a second simpler project for times when you don't have the patience for the beads.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your uke piece. I don't think you are an "old dog". Forever young!
We were just talking about the lack of courtesy in young and old alike the other day. Seems such a shame that those few ideas of courtesy have gone out of style. Can't wait to see your runner...Hugs from America.
ReplyDeleteoh well done on the music side, being one of those who can't even clap in time I am a bit jealous of anyone musical!! and knitting - with beads - that sounds a bit fiddly but very pretty. the things us crafters get ourselves into.... your background is different. I havent played with mine for ages but blogger does seem to have it's own mind...
ReplyDeleteHugz
You are being very clever. Keep at it.This may be just the start!
ReplyDeleteLove the waratah. I had one for a few years but it got scale very very badly and had to be chopped out.( I wasn't prepared to spray it )
Congrats on the medley arrangement, that's awesome, as is the knitting with beads. The waratahs look amazing. I have seen photos of them before. I'd love to see a real one. They look like they are quite a large blossom?
ReplyDeleteI agree never to old to learn something new! Big congrats on your arranging and having it played publicly. Well done on the knitting too. Knitting needles and I don't get on....they want to have nice stitches I seem to want holes lol! Beautiful Waratahs x
ReplyDeleteTake a bow for the musical arrangement, Jennifer - that's impressive!! I've never knitted with beads, but love the look. I expect I'd spend more time dropping them and trying to find them...
ReplyDeleteYour new background is beautiful. Perseverance pays off sometimes.
ReplyDelete