The Maple Leaf runner is done! It's another souvenir of our holiday in Canada.
Then the start:
The next project, what do you reckon? Batik fabrics, lots of different shades of blue with pops of yellow, gold and orange. The blue fabrics range from almost green to almost purple, right around the colour wheel. The small pieces on the left are mostly leftovers from Maritime Beauty a couple of years ago.
Next weekend is my quilt group's annual UFO weekend (mine is still a USO, not a stitch has yet been taken) so I hope to goodness it will all be cut out in time. It has at least been started, a few pieces have been cut......
Last Sunday's concert went well, the uke group was allowed two songs (we didn't play "Ain't misbehavin'" so it will go in the next concert in a couple more weeks), we didn't disgrace ourselves, and people told us how much they enjoyed us. The following day Kevin and I were trundling around a local supermarket - the weekly shop is a great social outing here in the Small Smoke, these days we take our thrills where we can get them - when we were approached by a local councilor and his wife who had been at the concert. We had a nice chat in the frozen food section, they said how much they liked our music......perhaps we should ask the council if we can be official uke players to our fair city? I can just imagine us strutting along escorting the mayor during a civic procession, plinking as we go......
Lately, money has been flying out the door here at Chez Wombats like you wouldn't believe. New light fittings have been bought to replace some already here when we moved in; they aren't our taste so out they go, and anyway lights now are much more efficient than they used to be. The very 1980s lights in the entrance hall, bedroom hallway and Good Room will, thank goodness, be going. Should you be in the market for some fittings with scrolly brass arms, painted flowers on the middle bits (don't know the technical word, sorry) and tinted glass chimneys, we will shortly have some available. All offers welcome. One more fixture to arrive, the shop has it on order, then the electrician can install them for us. We don't play around with live electricity, we're not that silly, you know.
On Friday my weekly newsletter from The Fabulous CD Shop In The Big Smoke arrived in my inbox, and you probably heard me gasp from your place......there was an entire boxed set of guitarist John Williams on special. It's now on its way here. It cost a certain amount of dollars but oh, all that wonderful music......how can you put a price on it......many years ago I saw John Williams play and it was such an experience, I have never forgotten it.
Continuing on from the last etiquette post, more words of wisdom aimed at the blokes in our lives:
"The beard.
The style of the growth of the beard should be governed by the character of the face. But whatever the style be, the great point is to keep it well brushed and trimmed, and to avoid any appearance of wildness or inattention. The full, flowing beard of course requires more looking after in the way of cleanliness than any other. It should be thoroughly washed and brushed at least twice a day, as dust is sure to accumulate in it, and it is very easy to suffer it to become objectionable to one's self as well as to others. If it is naturally glossy, it is better to avoid the use of oil or pomatum. The moustache should be worn neatly and not over-large. There is nothing that so adds to native manliness as the full beard if carefully and neatly kept."
Beards were certainly popular in the late 1800s, weren't they? In photographs taken at the time it's rare to see a clean-shaven bloke. I wonder what women thought of their menfolk when the beards became a bit wild? Perhaps they were so taken by the native manliness that they didn't mind. Just imagine how a wild beard would tickle.......
On that note I shall leave you, and head back to the sewing room and the rotary cutter.
Enjoy your days!
Enjoyed every word of your post - I get such a chuckle from you :) Your runner is lovely, and I can't wait to see what you do with those batiks!
ReplyDeleteThe 3 men in my life all sport beards: hubby's is grey, son # 2's is black, and son # 1's is bright red. It's how I tell them apart (me being so overcome with the native manliness and all...)
That runner is beautiful...I've always loved Maple Leaves...Good job, Jennifer!
ReplyDeleteI spent a lot of years getting suitable replacements for the light fixtures in bright brass with dangling crystals, so I feel for you.
ReplyDeleteHave fun with all those batiks.
oh my goodness - I will never look at a bearded man again without considering his tickleability! I love those batiks you are going to play with at your weekend... happy stitching and the maple leaves are just lovely ... It's good to hear the uke music is being enjoyed too....
ReplyDeleteHugz
Aren't you and your uke players moving on up!
ReplyDeleteWhen you think about it, years from now, someone who has bought our homes will be saying 'what were they thinking'. What goes around, comes around. Still, it does feel good to modernize our homes and LED lighting and fixtures sure have come a long way.
I do like your runner and the challenge fabric. Darn, you completed yours before I did.
You do have a nice collection of batiks. Is this for the Gumballs quilt pattern?
Love your runner , a great way to remember your trip . I just love reading your posts , you have such a way with words and you are so funny 😊 Have fun with your preparations for your ufo weekend , can I come , I have lots of ufos .
ReplyDeleteWell done with the runner. I love your blue batiks. I just wish they were a little softer to the touch...but still collect and use them anyway.
ReplyDeletelove those batiks!!! and the table runner is way cool, too = don't you just love it when something is FINISHED and you can look at it and tell it, "YOU ARE SO DONE!!!"?!?
ReplyDeleteAhhh, those batiks are so beautiful. Of course I love the blues, and they will look so great with their complementary yellows and oranges. I'd love to hear your Uke group. Sounds like you might be headed for fame!
ReplyDeleteNo beards at my house, but I do love a well kept beard. The wild ones not so much.
Oops forgot to say Congrats on that lovely (Canadian) maple leaf runner! Its Lovely!
ReplyDelete