A new project for a new has been started, but has ground to a halt because I don't own a small paintbrush. It has a pieced background with applique so I thought I would try the freezer paper and starch method, something I have never done before, so took myself off to the computer and sat in front of a tutorial to find out how it's done. It wasn't a fabulous tutorial because of the tutor's hands hiding what was being filmed but I did get the gist of it, so now all the applique shapes have been traced onto freezer paper, cut out, and ironed to their respective fabrics just waiting for that paintbrush to be purchased.
Monday is usually our day for food shopping and socialising, so in addition to buying bananas and milk and other such exciting items I shall buy a small paintbrush.
The first project for 2017 has been started.
The top picture is part of a row by row (blogged about a couple of months ago) which was a gift from a friend in Victoria, Canada, on our last trip. The pieced strips in front are the background fabrics for the new project, a row by row from northern Ontario - thank you, Rose Marie! The fabrics are the same, not surprising since they are all by Northcott (under the 'Archives' tab, 2015 Row by Row Experience), and the Cunning Plan is to turn them both into table runners by adding a narrow dark brown border then a wider pine tree green border.
Today in the Small Smoke it is mild with a pleasant breeze blowing, quite a change from the heat of the past week. I'm sure it's not just me getting older......something over which I have no control, but I would if I could......but summers seem to be getting hotter than they used to be. Once we would have the occasional few hot days with one or two very hot to spark us up a bit, but now we have a week of heat wave temperatures. The past week has been nasty, with nights too hot for refreshing sleep.
Never mind, it will be autumn in a few months......
Late in January there is a big humungous ginormous country music festival held here, and the diehards have been arriving since before Christmas. They quite happily pay camping fees for that extra month to get a good spot. Our neighbour across the road refers to them as 'the bumpkins'. They do, however, spend a whopping amount of money while they are here so we are all nice to them. We were asked by one of the organisers/performers, who runs a fringe festival within the big festival, if we would billet another performer for a few days and we said yes, so we will be having a really good fiddle player staying here! Yee har!
A couple of days ago our neighbours at No 66 moved out and soon we will have renting tenants living next door. Ms 64, the cause of their moving, told them that she would be putting her own place on the market too - she is a nasty woman. It hasn't appeared in real estate listings so far; we are tipping that it won't appear at all, that she was just stirring up trouble and leaving bad feeling behind. It is quiet now, they have left a lovely garden behind and Mr 66 was out mowing or blowing nearly every day.
"Politeness.
Politeness is kindness of manner. This is the outgrowth of kindness of heart, of nobleness, and of courage."
Something Ms 64 is lacking in spades.
Enjoy your days!

Love the colours in your runners - such a soothing palette. I use a Q-tip for the starch, not a paintbrush. Do you have such things in NSW? :)
ReplyDeleteHappy 500th. You don't look a day over 450.
ReplyDeleteYou can cut the corner off a clean kit hen sponge, to apply your starch. The instructor in the class I took used a sponge topped bottle, like one used to use to "lick" stamps.I don't know if they still sell those.just cover your work surface, and avoid putting the next piece down on any starch overflow.
I've used the starch method. It looks good, but sometimes, it is hard to push the needle through.
Ms. 64 sounds right rotter, if you ask me, which you haven't. Too bad the good folks at No. 66 felt they had no alternative but to move....sad! On the other hand, those 2 Row by Row kits look wonderful...I'd love to see them when they are completed...I really must get cracking on all the ones I'd gotten in 2014, 2015, and 2016.
ReplyDeleteits amazing how the blog posts mount up.... congrats on 500!!! enjoy the music festival. the one in Twba has been stopped - there was such a lot of moaning about the noise even though people got paid to put up with it - such that not enough money was made which is such a shame as the rest of the town did pretty well. Enjoy your billeted fiddler...
ReplyDeleteHugz
Congrats on 500 posts! Excellent effort. Nice project. Enjoy the festival and your talented visitor.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to the next 500!
ReplyDeleteHappy 500th, Love your latest start.
ReplyDeleteooooo!!! i do lurve your row by row - those are some lovely fabrics, not to mention the trees and mountains!!!
ReplyDeletehappy 500th!!!
boo on Ms. 64 - and her wandering cats, too...
Congrats on reaching the 500 posts milestone! Woohoo!
ReplyDeleteReally like your row by row pieces. Of course, those are "my" colours... I'm not familiar with this starch method, I hope you'll tell us more about it.
Sorry you've lost a good neighbour. What a shame!