Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Where has the time gone?

Do you ever feel as though life has been flashing by while you sit back and watch?  That's been us recently, life has been very busy but we don't seem to have much to show for it.  Ah well.

Nothing to report on the home repair front.  When all this rigmarole first started Kevin thought it would all be sorted and we would have new floors within a week......blokes can be very naive, can't they?  He is now starting to believe me when I say it won't be finished before it is cold enough to light our fire, something I have been saying for a while thinking I was talking to empty air.  Looks like it is starting to sink in.

The ukies had another moment of fame and glory at the Seniors' Week concert early last week.  There are no more gigs on the horizon but we keep playing together, just the same, because we never know when another call to fame will come.

My hurt toe is quite sore and tender but so far hasn't fallen off, which is a good sign.  I am still keeping it strapped to its neighbour; even slight pressure from the edge of a sandal strap is very painful so the tape gives a little padding and protection.  Hopefully it will be healed by the time the weather is cold enough to wear closed-in shoes.

My blue and yellow star quilt is quilted, and it looks truly gorgeous!  In the few spare moments available lately nine strips of binding fabric were cut and are now starting to be pinned together, however nine may not be enough.  When they are joined into one long strip I'll measure it, there is plenty of fabric if I need to cut more because when it was bought all those years ago - more than I can remember, actually - I bought one whole metre, and would you believe it's green, dark mossy green?
Many of the fabrics used are florals with touches of green, hence the choice of green for binding.
Here it is between the top border fabric and backing fabric.  Green is a difficult colour to photograph - it seems to be affected by lighting more than any other colour.  The actual tone is somewhere between these two pictures.  My goal is to have it bound and finished by Saturday of next week, quite achievable in the time frame if it weren't for so many other commitments.  Oh well, we can only do what we can do, can't we?

It seems there is a bonus to the bare shoulder fashion that I don't like.  A nurse friend is now giving flu shots and said that makes it easy for her because the women wearing them don't have to roll up a sleeve!  But I still don't like it.......

"Extravagance in dress.
Dress, to be in perfect taste, need not be costly.  It is unfortunate that in Australia too much attention is paid to dress by those who have neither the excuse of ample means nor of social culture.  The wife of a poorly paid clerk, or of a young man just starting in business, aims at dressing as stylishly as does the wealthiest among her acquaintances.  The sewing girl, the shop girl, the chambermaid, and even the cook, must have their elegantly trimmed silk dresses and expensive cloaks for Sunday and holiday wear, and the injury done by this state of things to the morals and manners of the poorer classes is incalculable."

Nothing wrong with an elegantly trimmed silk dress, I would have thought.

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. Yes sometimes life just seems to fly away. I am sure you are looking forward to getting the binding on your lovely quilt. I hope your poor toe starts to heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what?!? chambermaids aren't supposed to wear silk whilst they are dumping out the chamberpots?!?

    i know just that color of green! and it IS difficult to convince a camera to capture it ... it will be truly lovely, Jennifer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea where the time goes. One minute it's January and the next it's the middle of March...Hoping your toe heals quickly...nothing worse than wearing a close shoe with a hurt tootsie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly, our parkas this season are not showing bare shoulders. They might appear here later. I assume you are talking about the style where it appears that someone forgot to sew the seam at the shoulder. I can't really see the point. Must be my old age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe we are mid way through March , time really does fly by. Sorry to hear what your toe is still giving your grief , sure hope it heals up before you have to switch footwear . Have fun binding your quilt , it something you either love or hate to do , I actually enjoy it .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time is going far too fast..... I hope the house is sorted before lighting fire time!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. The green binding is perfect and pretty soon you can check that quilt off your list!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!