Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Best of all - we have our books back!

Early this week a nice young couple drove four hours to our house (all part of the insurance service, they packed up our books and treasures months ago too), carried a heap of boxes from the garage into the house, and unpacked our books and stuff.  The books used to be in order, they aren't now but will be again.  My music books are back......and my quilting and sewing books.......  I am a happy woman.

That is the end of the insurance claim for flood damage, six months to the day.

Sighing a contented sigh here, folks.

After the slow start my knitting is progressing beautifully.
 As you can see below, I do know how to knit fancy patterns.
The centre panel looks familiar, yes?  Because almost all my knitting pattern books were packed in the garage there was limited design choice available for a feature panel on the new jumper; I looked online but there was so much choice it was confusing.  One booklet hadn't been packed because it was in another room at the time, it was bought......oh, 20 years or so ago, probably more......and has instructions for four jumpers.  I loved them all so decided to eventually make each one, and this was first.  Two others were also made and are worn each winter, the fourth was started but was messed up - it's the most complicated of the four, this is the simplest and I love the colour and the design.  I'll make that really fancy jumper one day, though.

During the week I took myself, a uke and a song book along to the U3A uke group......not too sure about it......there were only three attendees besides me, and they are way behind my level.  Not wishing to boast, just stating a fact.  I didn't even play that slow when I was learning.  Apparently the Token Bloke who seemed to be leading the group (by a whisker, I think) prefers to play slowly and the others tag along behind.  The two women asked me how fast I would play, so I played at what I would consider a normal speed, they bravely joined in - and guess what, their fingers didn't fall off and the earth didn't stop spinning on its axis.  I pointed out that if we singing but not playing ukes we wouldn't sing that slowly, and they agreed.  The group co-ordinator hinted that I may end up leading them.  We'll see.

A couple of days ago we had our coldest morning temperature for four years, minus 5.3 deg C, but there was no frost......strange......we have had frosty mornings with milder temps.  It must have been very dry.  Rain showers are forecast for tomorrow, forecasts have been wrong before but we live in hope that this time it will be right.  It's a very dry season.

"Another condition of domestic happiness is intellectual sympathy,  Man requires a woman who can make his home a place of rest for him, and woman requires a man of domestic tastes.  While a woman who seeks to find happiness in a married life will never consent to be wedded to an idler or a pleasure-seeker, so a man of intelligence will wed none but a woman of intelligence and good sense."

A woman of intelligence and good sense......that sounds like me, don't you think?

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. Love the colours of your sweaters. I think you would make a great leader of that uke group - they could learn and grow so much.
    Maybe with those temps you will get some snow, Jennifer - knit faster, you may need another "jumper" soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love putting my books in the bookshelves...once Mr. Wonderful gets our sitting room painted, I can then put the bookshelves up and start unpacking all the boxes of books - putting them in order is a joy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A"well turned ankle" never hurts, either.
    Your sweater is coming nicely. Too warm for sweaters here, and I suspect it may be too warm there, by the time it is done, but you will have a new CE new piece for next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. most certainly a womon of intelligence and good sense... great to have the books back ( and put back for you!) and your jumper is coming along... looks great...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have all your books back! You will appreciate them even more now, after their absence. Your knitting is coming along beautifully. I can see a new position as a Uke leader/teacher in your future....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!