Pages

Friday, September 1, 2017

Visitors

We have had visitors popping round lately, but not human ones......
 Ever since we moved here we have been entertained by kangaroos and wallabies on the hill behind us.  Sometimes they come fairly close to our fence, as they did earlier this week.
It was late afternoon, as you can see by the shadows.  Rain is badly needed, so the roos are coming close to fences in search of grass.

Occasionally we have seen two males roos fighting, and I wouldn't like to be nearby when they do as it looks quite vicious.  They balance on their tails while raking at their opposite number's chest with those powerful back legs and claws, while their heads are held back out of the way.

It's been an interesting time lately here at Chateau des Wombats.  Recently our main computer displayed a message that our virus protection wasn't working and suggested what to do about it......Kevin duly followed the suggested steps......computer told us that any added apps would be removed......right-oh, he said and pressed the 'run' button.......

......and all my bookmarks have gone, EQ7 disappeared into the ether, as did many other programs.  All are being slowly re-instated, the wonderful technical support folk at EQ helped with re-installation, and I am slowly becoming a happy woman once more.

Sigh.

The green purse only needs handles and an internal base to be finished, then a new guilt-free project can be started.

According to some people - not me, I hasten to add - today is the first day of spring.  Many years ago a bright spark somewhere decided that the first day of the months of September, December, March and June would arbitrarily bring a change of season, but you and I know that a new season doesn't suddenly happen overnight; it's a gradual process over several weeks.  It would make more sense had the first day of the following month been chosen instead, i.e. October, January, April and July, because that's when there is a noticeable difference in weather.  So every three months I yell at the TV when the announcer says "Today is the first day of a new season"......"No, it isn't" I say loudly.......

So spring is coming and that means the weather will get warmer, and before we know it summer will be upon us with its heat and I don't do summer very well, so will be hanging out for autumn to arrive......it's no wonder my life is flashing by before my eyes, is it?

My Winding Ways quilt is hanging in an exhibition at an art space in our local council building, the exhibition is of work by volunteers at a local gallery so there will be textiles, and paintings, and all manner of interesting works.  I shall endeavour to view it, for the thrill of hanging in public, before it closes; it only opened today, so there will be opportunities next week.  Fame at last.......

"Public mention of private matters.
Do not parade merely private matters before a public or mixed assembly or to acquaintances.  If strangers really wish to become informed about you or your affairs, they will find the means to gratify their curiosity without your advising them gratuitously.  Besides, personal and family affairs, no matter how interesting they may be to the parties immediately concerned, are generally of little moment to outsiders.  Still less will the well-bred person inquire into or narrate the private affairs of any other family or individual."

When I was growing up family affairs were never spoken of outside one's family, they were regarded as being no one else's business, and while this seems to have changed (reality TV, anyone?) I do my best to ignore other folks blathering on about their own and their family's private life.  I mind my own business, and expect others to do the same.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of your exotic (to me) visitors.
    Congratulations on having your quilt hung in the gallery. I hope you get to enjoy seeing it on display.
    Since the equinox isn't for three more weeks, I think October 1 is a much more sensible date to acknowledge the season change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our 'seasons' change at entirely different times than yours, Jennifer...Spring comes on March 20th, Summer on June 21st, Autumn on September 22nd, and Winter on December 21st...doesn't make any more sense than your seasonal changes, does it? Some smart people just don't have a lot of common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so love to see a kangaroo in person!!We are noticing a definite change in out weather this week - much, much cooler. Other than a few hardy pole beans, the garden tells us it is done producing, as have the bees. The honey supers will come off soon. As you say, the season does not change in a day; Mother Nature lets us know the time.
    Congrats on having your quilt displayed - hope you get to see it hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun having those visitors.... I have noticed a lot of road kill recently and I guess they are coming too close to the verges in search of green grass. Even if the weather doesn't change dramatically I like the romantic notion that we are passing from one season to another...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing those pictures is, to me, such a treat as we'd definitely never see a kangaroo here! How magical having them come so close that you can watch them!! We know that fall is close, but I'm trying my best to ignore it as the season that follows fall is definitely my least favourite so the longer the summer-like temperatures linger, the happier I am!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!