Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Dry dry dry

Wasn't there a song or a singing group or something a long time called wet wet wet?  That's not us......
 This was the view from our back yard yesterday, nothing but dry dead grass.
 The late afternoon sun makes it look greener than it is.

As a contrast, this was our view a few months after we moved here in 2010:
It looks like a different world, doesn't it.

The forecast for the rest of today and tomorrow is for rain, but we will believe it when it happens.  So far this afternoon we have had a dribble or two, enough to wet the path but not enough to get excited about.  So we won't.

Back in World War II the land where we now live was taken over by the military for an army camp.  Many young blokes trained here before being shipped elsewhere, one of them was my father; my mother was a local girl but he was from The Big Smoke Way Down South, all the way from another state, and must have seemed quite exotic to a sheltered girl in what was then a small country town.  They eventually married and had a family, which is how I came to be - and when we bought this house in 2010 it had completely slipped my mind that it was on the site of the army camp.  Fortunately there don't seem to be any ghosts.  The marriage wasn't happy, he eventually left (after more than 25 years, mind you!) and we never saw him again.

You know how social media puts ads on your page supposedly because of web sites you have browsed?  Ads generate a huge amount of revenue, I get that.....but how on earth did "they' get the idea that I would be interested in marathon ocean swimming?  I'm not, you know.  Far from it.  Every time I think about exercising, I have to lie down until the thought passes.  A female friend has had ads for bloke's see-through sheer undies in bright colours - doesn't the very thought give you the heebie-jeebies?  I will leave the ribald comments to your imagination.

A few stitches have happened in the sewing room, but as some of those stitches are for Surprises nothing will be shown just yet.  Some unpacking has also happened; it has been very easy to just leave things as they are, messy and in boxes, but it needs to be done.  For one thing there are several circular knitting needles which were packed away and haven't yet turned up.....I know they're somewhere, just don't know where.....

"Obedience.
If you would not have all your instructions and counsels ineffectual, teach your children to obey.  Government in a family is the great safeguard of religion and morals, the support of order and the source of prosperity.  Nothing has a greater tendency to bring a curse on a family than the insubordination and disobedience of children, and there is no more painful and disgusting sight than an ungoverned child."

You know, I agree wholeheartedly with those words.

Enjoy your days!

3 comments:

  1. We are headed into hot, hot ( for us) weather for the weekend. This will be preceded and immediately followed by rain. This will mean lots of humidity. I'll be hiding!
    I'm getting ads for large pickup trucks, this week. Their targetting is a little off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! There are far too many folks in the world who never got the spanking they deserved in childhood and you can pick them out of a crowd today! We, too, are hoping for more rain...honestly, I never, never complain about rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look crispy dry there.... the comparison picture is so different. Glad the ghosts aren't there but interesting to read the history of the place. Those ads.... crazy what you see - it's how we learn such things exist maybe?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!