Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Meet the newest member of the Thursday night choir

This is Reggie.
 He's only a little feller, just a few months old, and his hopping skills aren't very well developed yet.
His mum was in a traffic accident and didn't survive, but Reggie was rescued and now lives with a member of the choir and her husband.  When he is bigger - another eight months or so - he will go a local marsupial park to be with other kangaroos.

The countdown is now on - just nine days until we drive to the Big Smoke, and ten days until we fly!  Now that the week is finally over (one of the busiest weeks we have had for a long time) we can concentrate on packing Stuff which has to be taken and Stuff which, if it's forgotten, won't stop the world turning.

My quilt pieces only weigh a smidgeon over 620 grams which is less than 23 ounces in old money, so they will be on the trip with me for sure!  When I quoted 840 pieces that was a miscount because I forgot to allow for the 48 half pieces for the sides.......so, 888 pieces.  Apparently the Chinese regard 8 as a lucky number so three eights must be extra extra extra lucky, yes?

Working on a project in the sewing room was very frustrating today, the top thread broke while free motion quilting; the assumption was that there was a bit of thread somewhere in the bobbin assembly, so it was duly taken apart, cleaned and put back together.  Snap - thread broke again.  Take bobbin apart again, clean again, put back together again.  Naughty words were on the brink of being said by this stage.  The top thread was removed because when all else fails you re-thread the machine - right?  This enabled the sewing genius here (hah) to see that the top thread was catching in the bottom of the spool and also wrapping around the base of the spool pin, thereby causing said thread to snap.  A naughty word was duly said......the thread spool was turned the other way, the machine re-threaded and quilting resumed.  It went like a dream, just the way it should.  Lesson learned.

At sewing guild on Wednesday I took along some yoga pants to shorten, plus my machine and overlocker (serger) to do it with.  Another member measured me for length, one leg was pinned up and they were tried on - perfect length.  The overlocker was used to trim off the excess before folding up a hem for sewing......but sewing genius here overlocked along the fold line, cutting off the entire hem, instead of a couple of cms down to allow for the fold......so now those pants have 1/4in hem which of course flares and frills out like you wouldn't believe.  Just as well they only cost $5 on sale, I would be spitting chips if I had paid real money for them and then buggered them.

I told you it was a busy week, goodness knows where my brain went.

This morning's gig went off well, a fun way to finish up before our holiday!  The uke group has been asked to do two definite and one possible gigs while I am away, shame to miss out but there will be others in future.

"There is nothing that tests the natural politeness of men and women so thoroughly as travelling.  We all desire as much comfort as possible, and as a rule are selfish.  In these days of railroad travel, when every railway is equipped with elegant carriages for the comfort and convenience of its passengers, and provided with conductors and servants, the longest journeys by railroad can be made with perfect safety and but little annoyance." 

Indeed.  These words of wisdom from 1885 could apply equally to flying today, couldn't they?

Enjoy your days!

7 comments:

  1. As I was reading the story of then pants, my brain was saying " don't do it." And then you did it. Got to wonder why I anticipated what was going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reggie is a cutie! How are his singing skills? Bet you're getting excited about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo.. not long to go! Reggie is rather cute and I'm sure uyou will look stylish in your frilly yoga pants!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be getting excited about your big trip! Our weather has turned decidedly cooler the past week. I am still hoping you run into a bit of snow while you are here :)
    Does Reggie Roo sing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Damn about your now short longs. Reggie is so cute. So frustrating when you have issues that take ages to address. Glad you got some smooth sailing in the end x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reggie is adorable. When you are here, we can sit in the LR with the fireplace on and sew away to our heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Reggie is darling...I am glad he will go to a Marsupial Park once he's older...wouldn't want him to grow up thinking he's a human, now would we?
    2. The frilly yoga pants would go well with a lacy top - teehee.
    3. Can't wait to hear all about your upcoming trip. I'm sure you are anxious to see offspring - especially now he's healing. Mums have to check out the doctor's handiwork and make sure offspring are doing well - regardless of offspring's age!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!