Our little wattle bush/shrub is flowering, just in time for Wattle Day!
We planted it a couple of years ago, and it didn't do very well at all. It had a couple of spindly branches which were discovered by Something Which Eats Leaves; Kevin was all for pulling it out but, as there were still some green leaves on the tip of one branch, I prevailed on him to leave it for the time being. It must have picked itself up and given itself a good shake, because slowly it started to recover. A few months ago I noticed tiny buds - and this week it has flowered for the first time.
Later this month it will be my turn to provide a BOM for the Saturday quilt group. I don't mind complex blocks with triangles and unusual shapes, but you should hear the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth by some group members at the mere thought of a triangle. (well......not really, but you get the idea) When it's my turn to provide a design I like to include the odd triangle or two. I think of it as my revenge for the cutesy-poo applique so beloved by a few members which I duly make without (too much) grumbling.
The block is called Double Aster and can be found here, should you feel inclined to make your own. My Cunning Plan is for each member to make a 12in finished star block in any design (with as many or as few triangles as they wish) in different shades of yellow on a mid to dark blue background to be used in a star sampler quilt, something which has been simmering away in the back of my mind for several years.
More tumblers have been cut out, including some from these pretty repro fabrics.
No fussy cutting though, I don't want the quilt to look too carefully planned. All 840 pieces will be cut out eventually.
Another big on Monday morning, this time we are playing for a Parkinsons Support Group. We have a few cheerful songs and the odd waltz or two, so the audience can sway and sing along should the fancy take them.
We have had a little rain! The drought is nowhere near broken, it would take more than that little amount, but it was enough to make gardens smile. There is even a little green on the hill behind us, something we haven't seen there for quite a while.
On the subject of yellow, my 1885 etiquette book has a chapter titled "Harmony of colors in dress" which includes these thoughts on the subject:
"Material for dress.
The material for dress must be selected with reference to the purpose which it is to serve. No one buys a yellow satin dress for the promenade, yet a yellow satin seen by gaslight is beautiful as an evening dress. Neither would one buy a heavy serge of neutral tint for an opera dress."
Further to that, it suggests some colour combinations which are deemed to harmonise. Yellow and white is considered a poor harmony, but yellow and purple is agreeable. Yellow and violet is weak, yellow and blue is cold. One which makes me wince is yellow, pink, maroon and light blue, as would blue, brown, crimson and yellow or gold, while the one which really sets my teeth on edge is purple, scarlet, blue, yellow and black.
Enjoy your days!
Yellow, bright, cheery, adds a pop of brightness to many places. My forsythia, with its bright yellow flowers always announces spring.
ReplyDeleteThanks for introducing your wattle.
I love the combination of yellow and white....and the others just make me grind my teeth! Your BOM is lovely...I certainly wouldn't grumble about making one of those!
ReplyDeleteLove your sweet little wattle....does it grow very tall? I do love your star block but I would be a grumbler too lol! I love yellow in nature but it looks dreadful on me.
ReplyDeleteI'm just mad about Saffron...I had planned to wear it at the promenade - shoot!
ReplyDeleteYour star block is very pretty.
Yes, Donovan will be in my head all day now :)
my little wattle is flowering too... but it has really quite insignificant little balls so I didn't do well on choosing the variety! we live on Wattle Drive so I wanted some wattle here! I love them too. That star block looks great to in the yellow and blue...
ReplyDeleteHugz
oooo!!! the yellow and blue star is striking!!! after giving the instructions a quick once over, I think i'd be grumbling a bit - but making just one wouldn't be THAT disagreeable, and you ARE requesting ANY design, so i don't think you'll be all that unpopular...
ReplyDeleteGood to hear you have had a little rain! Maybe the rain is helping revive your yellow wattle. I like yellow in small doses, in quilts- it certainly brightens things up and adds a bit of energy. Love your Double Aster block- will you be receiving the star blocks back to put together into a quilt for you?
ReplyDeleteOh, I love your star and your colours, though as a triangle beginner I'm not sure about doing more than a couple of them! Still... it's tempting. Mind you, I haven't looked at the instructions yet...
ReplyDelete