Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Leaves, leaves and more leaves

My photos have been loaded onto the computer but they aren't yet captioned; if it's not done soon we might forget where they were taken.  After tomorrow's gig there will be more time.

Isn't this an amazing colour?  It's called Burning Bush.
 Some golden goodness across the river.  This pic and the one above were taken in Parry Sound, Ontario, on a cold slightly snowy day.
 Fallen maple leaves in the rain, in Goderich.
 More fallen leaves on a damp day in Bayfield.
So many colours - the reason why our trips to Canada have been in autumn, it's such a beautiful season.

We are settling back into our usual routine although I did hit the ground running, as two days after we arriveded home the uke group had a gig at a small church just out of town; it was a 'thank you' early Christmas lunch for church helpers, and as we have played at their monthly markets during the year we were included.  We were the entertainment, and we were also recipients of a very nice lunch.

Tomorrow's U3A Christmas lunch will be more Christmas songs which we are now getting good at playing.  By next November we will have forgotten them all again, you know.

We had a great time in Canada.  Our boy is doing well and we really enjoyed our time with him and his lovely partner; she and I had a few 'girls days out' together, to a craft festival, a quilt show and a textile museum.  I think of her as the daughter I didn't give birth to and wish we could see more of each other - but it is such a long way!

Honestly, I don't think I can do that long flight again.  Plane seats have become thinner and more uncomfortable (probably keeping the weight down) and 20 hours spent in one of those seats when one has a sore neck anyway is hard work.  We can't afford the expensive seats up the front, and in any case would rather have the money to spend at our destinations than in getting there.  Add to that humping one's bags around airports, lots of self-service stuff - checking in and going through customs and security is all about 'do it yourself' these days but of course we don't get a discount for that - it's not fun any more, if indeed it ever was.

Ah well.  Our boy said they would come and see us in a few years, his first visit back since leaving in February 2005 - that will be wonderful.

"The comfort of others.
In seeking his own comfort, no passenger has a right to overlook or disregard that of others.  If for his own comfort, he wishes to raise or lower a window, he should consult the wishes of passengers immediately around him before doing so.  The discomforts of travelling should be borne cheerfully, for what may enhance your own comfort may endanger the health of some fellow-traveller."

These days, sadly, it's everyone for his or her own self, and be darned to anyone else.

Enjoy your days!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Autumnal foliage Jennifer. I am so pleased your Son is so much better. It must be so difficult being so far away. It sounds like you a spreading festive cheer about which sounds lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it is hard to get back in the swing after being away for so long. However, mother's do have to check in on their children, no matter how old they are.
    It sounds like you had a busy time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh the colours in the leaves are just lovely. I can just imagine it all over. I always find it takes a while to settle back... and I always need to go and get a massage. Luckily with us on the way to UK there is usually as stop where cheap massages are easily available at the airport! And not getting neked massages which is even better!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our leaves didn't disappoint you! They always put on a good show each time you visit. Gilles took pics of us and I'll send them to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!