Sadly I lack the influence to end it, but you never know, one day.......
This is the quilt top finished last week.......it's bright! The pattern is fun and easy to make; however, if you are bothered by having points cut off then this isn't the quilt for you. It happens because of the method of assembly. I personally myself couldn't care less, the world won't stop spinning on its axis because of this, you know.
It was going to be pinned yesterday at sewing group but my quilting pins didn't like going through the fleecy backing, so shall have to think of a Plan B - perhaps spray adhesive, although I'm not a fan of using chemicals on my fabrics.
A project as yet not shown. Made this as a gift for Rose Marie, and it wasn't finished until after we arrived in Toronto; the binding was still being hand sewn to the back. However, here it is finally done and hanging in Rose Marie's dining room.
The flowers are all stitched using one strand of DMC floss, and it was machine quilted. Even tried piping as an inner border, something I haven't done before; it was slightly fiddly but not difficult, even though all four corners aren't as beautifully equal as I had hoped they would be.
The golden yellow border and dark green binding were chosen to represent Australia's golden wattle, our national floral emblem. The pattern is by Oz Dye-Art who are no longer in business.
Place mats for our friends on Vancouver Island, some of the fabrics are by Australian Aboriginal designers. The colours were chosen in the hope that they would suit their new home - and they couldn't be better.
That home is decorated with teal and with dark colours, so once again the golden wattle yellow and pale green for foliage add a little touch of Australia to their home.
Some uke playing has been happening, practice for the gig on Sunday. We will have fun even if we play the odd bum note......and some of them are pretty odd, believe me.
During the current heatwave we are making sure that the bird baths in out back yard are kept topped up. A week ago I had been out splashing water around for the birdies and was walking back to the door when.....splat, the toe of my sandal caught on a loop of the hose (which we had gotten out of the habit of rolling up on the holder thingy on the wall) and down I went. Ouch, double ouch and triple ouch.....bruised and badly skinned right knee, skinned left knee, bruised left foot and specially left big toe, hurting left hand/wrist, smarting palms. Other bruises in unmentionable places. I didn't realise that so much of me had come in contact with the ground.
However all is healing well, nothing has fallen off, everything is still attached where it should be, even if I couldn't lift a cup of coffee in my left hand for several days. Hand piecing and reading are still possible, though, so all has not been lost!
"Speaking one's mind.
Certain honest but unthinking people often commit the grievous mistake of "speaking their mind" on all occasions and under all circumstances, and oftentimes to the great mortification of their hearers. And especially do they take credit to themselves for their courage, if their freedom of speech happens to give offence to any of them. A little reflection ought to show how cruel and unjust this is. The law restrains us from inflicting bodily injury upon those with whom we disagree, yet there is no legal preventive against this wounding of the feeling of others."
This is true, but if you should happen to point out the chopped-off points on my quilt I would not be hurt or offended. I already know about it.
Enjoy your days!

Fabulous gifts, Jennifer! I especially like the piped inner border, and the way it melts down into the mitred seam. I like that a lot...said she, wearing a thick wool sweater and wrapped in a quilt as she types...(-26 here this morning!)
ReplyDeleteA friend is headed your way for a cruise. The weather will be a bit of a shock since we are having a cold snap.
ReplyDeleteI, too, don't care about chopped off points! If someone is close enough to see them, they may be too close anyway!
ReplyDeleteContinued prayers for healing...I can sympathize, my friend. At my age and size, I no longer bounce when I hit the ground!
Gosh this heat wave is cruel and so ongoing. Our temps are nothing like yours and it's hot enough. Love your sewing projects... that embroidery stitching is so fine. I tend to agree with you and if points go so be it... nobody really worries on the end product. Love the colours you have used. Glad you are feeling lots better now. I am amazed at how many people say things that can and do hurt others feelings... honesty is good but sometimes silence is better...
ReplyDeleteHugz
For the winter months, I have your hanging in the bedroom off my studio. It truly is a lovely wall hanging and I'm amazed still at the embroidery using just one strand of floss.
ReplyDeleteIt is very COLD here. -33C and with wind chill -48C We could do with a bit of your heat about now!
Hmmm, I see the comment I left a few days ago has not appeared, so will try again. I hope you are recovering from your fall Jennifer. No fun being bruised up!
ReplyDeleteYour quilted gifts are lovely! I'm sure they were gratefully received. Have you had any reprieve from the heat? Wish I could send you some of our cold temps!
Well done for all that work, Jennifer, and I hope you heal quickly. (It's not hot here in Scotland!)
ReplyDelete