Where to start!
Usual stuff, shopping on Monday morning (because we need to eat), uke practice in the afternoon (fun), volunteering at the regional gallery on Tuesday (interesting), sewing guild on Wednesday (fun), massage on Thursday (relaxing), choir on Thursday night (fun), uke gig on Friday (great fun), quilt group yesterday (also fun) - makes me tired just thinking about it.
The challenge quilt is done. It was finished on Friday night all ready to be handed in yesterday, as I had thought it had to be......but no, it doesn't need to be handed in until the end of the year. Could have saved myself a panic, couldn't I? At my age one doesn't want to waste too many panics.
Our uke gig on Friday went off very well, one of our best. On Thursday night I told our choir director we would be playing the next day, he MC'd the concert and also performed on piano; thank goodness, he said, because two of our singers have had to cancel and we are short of performers. Play for as long as you like, he said. We ended up playing five songs with a bit of waffling in between to fill half an hour. Our audience (nearly all older folk) loved our songs and joined in singing, especially the Aeroplane Jelly Song! For the non-Aussies, Aeroplane jelly is like Jello, we all grew up eating it, and we can all sing the advertising jingle with its cheerful waltz tune word for word. The feedback we received was very encouraging and Bill told me "you are very very good, you know......those harmonies were amazing". He was talking about the group as a whole not me in particular although Claire and I are the harmony singers, that is high praise indeed.
Consequently I don't have any new pics this week, so it's time to trawl through the archives for some photographic memories.
While in Canada we spent a few days in Midland. We had stopped there overnight on two previous trips but this time thought we would have a bit more of a look around. It's a nice town with an interesting history, and large murals on some of the downtown buildings tell of its story. Outside the local museum we found one of these:
Even though it's out of action, it's a clever idea.
As the sign tells, it is a horse trough/dog bowl/drinking fountain - liquid refreshment for the horse on one side, and the rider plus faithful pooch trotting along behind on the other side.
Probably a very welcome sight, back in the day.
It was quite chilly in Midland. We dined at a local restaurant where we have eaten on our past visits - the whole idea of spending time in this town was to eat there again! Our server picked by our accents that we weren't Canadian, we're Aussies, we told her......whereabouts, she asked......we told her the town name, she laughed......she is from a town just a few hours away, over at the coast.
However - today hasn't been a total loss, because I found my fishing tackle sewing box! It was put away in A Safe Place quite some time ago, and amidst all the packing and unpacking following our two floods I had lost track of it. Following a brainwave today I looked in just one more place, and there it was. It was received in a Secret Santa gift exchange at a workplace back in the early 2000s, and I had never before realised what a useful thing a fishing tackle box is to one who sews. Lift out tray.....pop up lid......deep base......plenty of room to store Stuff. It's going to receive a good clean, then it will be used for the tumbler blocks.
"How to reprove.
Parents should never check expressions of tenderness in their children, nor humiliate them before others. This will not only cause suffering to little sensitive hearts, but will tend to harden them. Reproof, if needed, should be administered to each child singly and alone."
Would it had happened.
Enjoy your days!



Gosh your week sounds hectic.... but loads of fun too. I had a giggle about you having your challenge quilt ready so soon.... you can just tell everyone you are an over achiever???? I love the horse/dog trough... so nice that it is still there to see...
ReplyDeleteHugz
You're a busy gal! I Googled your Aeroplane Jelly song, and I can see why that would stick in one's head.Great fun for those in attendance to sing along!
ReplyDeletewhen i was a kid (back when rocks were soft) we used to sing the Oscar Mayer wiener song (with relish - pun intended) ... and i taught the littles the Oscar Mayer bologna song when they were learning about last names - good times!!!
ReplyDeleteyou're having fun and that's always a good thing!!!
There are so many uses for everyday, OTHER stuff in quilting ad crafting. I have a whole list that was published many, many years ago of things that would cost a fortune if purchased at the Quilt Shop but purchased at the stationers or the hardware store, much less expensive.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness you have been busy....how lovely your music bought back such happy memories for the oldies! With your challenge you are now ahead of yourself...just don't be like me and pop it away safely never to be seen again lol! How neat is the vintage watering station xx
ReplyDeleteYes, those tackle boxes are quite handy. I have a few .... stored away with quilting notions all ready to go at a moment's notice.
ReplyDelete