Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

A little work has taken place in the sewing room

The other day some tracing preparation for the Canadian mystery quilt from a couple of years ago was done.  No stitches yet, but that's getting closer......I can feel it......just trying to work up oomph for that foundation pieced cat face and embroidered features.......I only make these blocks for charity quilts because I am a nice person, you know, even though there is sometimes a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

Sigh.

Some good news on the pedal extremity front: my foot seems to be improving slowly although it still doesn't like too-long walks.  Our downtown area isn't huge but yesterday's walk from a favourite café to a jeweller then back to the car via the pharmacy was deemed a bit too much by The Foot, so I let it rest for the afternoon and evening.  Best of all, though, is the hip which has been plaguing me for so long has finally stopped hurting!  Yesss!!

It's so wonderful not to have that continuous throbbing ache.  I have become a much happier woman as a result.

Goodness, I don't want to become like my mother with an obsession about my body.  You never said "how are you" to her, because she would tell you in full detail.....she never quite grasped the concept that a greeting is not necessarily a question.  Aussies have ambiguous greetings, there's "how are you" and "how are you going" which mean the same thing - "Hello".  It doesn't mean I want full disclosure about your innards, and it doesn't mean I am inquiring about your chosen mode of transport.

Just realised that we have no photo!  Let's see what can be found.

Early fall in Toronto.  There was a bench in front of these flowers, a welcome place to sit on a hot day.
 This was a gorgeous tree - the photo doesn't do it justice.  We spent a few days in Midland, and each time we used the parking lot behind the shops I drooled over this tree across the road.
 Love the golds......have no idea what the trees are.
 Not what you are thinking!  Cones - pine cones? cedar cones? - which have fallen from trees.  Vancouver Island is the land of Tall Straight Trees.
If not for the cold winters I could live in Canada......and the hot humid summers.....spring is probably nice, and autumn is glorious.  Let's not forget butter tarts.....

Nowhere in the world seems to have an ideal climate, does it?

"Less formal invitations.
Invitations of a less formal character are sent for charades, private theatricals, and for archery, croquet, sailing and garden parties; but, however informal the invitation (except only when a visiting card is used), on no account neglect to give immediate attention to it, by sending a reply, for any want of courtesy in this respect is unpardonable."

How long has it been since you were invited to archery or croquet?  Or to a garden party?  My social life is sadly lacking, it seems.

Enjoy your days!

5 comments:

  1. sounds like you are longing for Canada, please don't rush the weather fall can be really around the corner but we have had a fantastic summer with good rain keeps everything lush, no brown grass yet. It is worth the sticky (month) we get for all the other "glorious" months even winter. I am so happy to hear that you are improving! but it has also made you slow down and work on some quilting for a bit so keep the slow pace it is better for you this way there is less falls "slow is a preventative"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria would probably suit you. Snow is a rarity there. The east coast is a whole different story.
    Glad you are on the mend. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer here in the southern part of the U.S. is quite hot and humid...without humidity, we have quite lovely seasons! So glad your lower appendage is healing and you are able to partake of walking and sewing in moderation! Welcome back to your sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear sewing is getting closer and that you are able to do more and more. Its very easy to overdo it. Foundation piecing is my least favourite so I do take my hat off to you for doing it!.... I still get caught with How you going? and want to answer …
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far, we haven't seen any leaves changing colour .... but in a few weeks we might see some start.
    Glad to hear your foot and hip are getting better. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!