Pages

Friday, August 23, 2019

How do you eat an elephant?

Just take it one bite at a time, and it will be done.

Yesterday the first pieces were cut for a new quilt.  Several hundred still need to be cut......but they will be, even if only a few at a time, just like eating an elephant!  Digging into my stash of autumn leaf prints, many of which were bought on trips to Canada, always makes me happy.  The pattern is from an Aussie quilt magazine from several years ago, although it won't ~quite~ be made according to the pattern; more rows will be added to the sides to make it square and balance the pattern (the magazine quilt is rectangular, I don't care for that) and the construction method for the 15 Maple Leaf blocks will be changed.

It is my turn next month to provide a block for the Tuesday group's BOM.  We have a Tuesday group and a Saturday group; some people go to both and some to only one of these.  My blocks are always pieced.....no applique for me......and have often had intricate designs, but this one is simpler.  Even the most triangularly challenged should have no trouble with it.
 Just three different fabrics, two tone on tones and a print.  Block is called "Amish Diamond" from Quilter's Cache website but I decided to call it "Autumn Diamond".  It will get acquainted with the iron before it is shown to the group as an example.

Our little wattle bush is starting to flower, another week and it should be glorious!  When it was first planted something (possibly ants) took a liking to it and chewed the tender leaves, leaving just one stalk with a few leaves at the top.  Kevin was all for pulling it out because it didn't look too flash at all, but I convinced him to let it stay because at least those remaining leaves were green and healthy.
It then shook itself, pulled up its little green socks, and decided to concentrate on recovering.  Took a couple of years but it did so, and last year flowered for the first time.  

Many Aussie native plants are slow to get established, and only live for a few years compared to hundreds of years for trees in colder climates.  We know this and accept it, and enjoy them while we can......then when it dies off we plant something else to enjoy.  Pretty sure we have a self-seeded wattle tree in our front garden thanks to a bird or the wind, when and if it flowers we will know what it is for sure.

Winter is still proceeding, nights and mornings are cold and sometimes frosty while days are mild and mostly sunny with not a cloud in the sky.  If only the drought wasn't so dire it would be lovely winter weather, but we would like clouds and rain!  For some time now we have been on Level Four restrictions which means no, absolutely no, use of water outside at all.  Dishes are rinsed in a bucket in the sink before going in the dishwasher then that water is used on plants, which is allowed.  We do, however, put clean water in our bird baths - that comes under animal welfare, which is also permitted.

Bianca is still around.  A few weeks ago she became very frail, was barely eating, and was quite listless - we expected to find her gone one morning on her bed in front of the fire.  However she rallied, is eating again, and sometimes runs around the house like a six month old kitten.  We know, though, that she probably won't be around for much longer.....but she is happy and doesn't seem in pain, so we won't make that final trip to the vet just yet.

Kevin and I have been together for 45 years; I brought my cat Smokey into our relationship (got custody of Smokey when my first marriage ended), and we have always had at least one kitty.  The house won't seem right with none.

"Dinner A La Russe.
The latest and most satisfactory plan for serving dinners is the dinner a la Russe (the Russian style) - all the food being placed upon a side table, and servants do the carving and waiting.  The style gives an opportunity for more profuse ornamentation of the table, which, as the meal progresses, does not become encumbered with partially empty dishes and platters."

I wonder how many servants one would need to serve a cut-up elephant?  Or how many would be needed for the cutting up thereof?

Enjoy your days!

6 comments:

  1. Yes with your weather I can see where the plants can only fight for so long. We are fortunate! even if it does get freezing cold here. Lovely fall block I usually see you pulling out fall about this time reminiscing of Canada I am sure. LOL Great colors and lovely block.
    As for kitty I thought the same with mine but like yours she decided to use another life and come back as she gets older she is even more loving she is now 16yrs. I am debating about having another kitty after she is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that autumn block is lovely..it's simple and lends itself to a nice secondary pattern when put with its mates. Good on you!

    You final thought gave me a bit of pause....I'll pose my question here - just what sauce would one serve with the elephant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried elephant, though I have had moose. Don't plan to eat it again, though.
    Yes, doing things steadily in small bits is a good idea, though sometimes, I get distracted by a newer project, and the first gets lost. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just looked up the math and if you ate bites of elephant three times a day it would take more than 26 years to eat the 28,800 4oz servings - waaaay too much protein, huh?!?

    anywho, spring is on its way to you and autumn had better be on its way here before i melt!!! give Bianca my love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have a dishcloth with a recipe for elephant stew …. happy chopping for your new quilt... sometimes cutting and trimming can take longer than the sewing. YOur block for the group looks great... it's so neat too. Good old Biance keeping up her spirits....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer, came to your blog through Scrap Quilt Enthusiasts and your great tutorial (thanks). I'm also an Aussie and have a random question, since you mentioned Aussie quilt magazine. I'm searching for the 'As time goes by' quilt, I think was in Australian Patchwork & Stitching. It's either a broken dishes, or a windmill type pattern. Have tried other searches but no luck yet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so don't be shy!